Author Topic: Best Greenhouse Gas  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Best Greenhouse Gas
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 12:32:09 PM »
You're in luck Pedroig - oxygen IS a dangerous gas once the atmosphere of a body is more than 30% oxygen!

So is basically every other gas we breath on a daily basis. All of them should be labelled as dangerous honestly. But, its Steve's game. His decision.

Any gas that becomes dangerous in high enough concentrations is labelled dangerous at those concentrations.

Which is not all of them.  Nitrogen, for example, never becomes dangerous.  As long as a human gets enough oxygen, and the total atmospheric pressure doesn't exceed their capacity, the amount of nitrogen is irrelevent and non-toxic.  Nitrogen dioxide, on the other hand. . .

Offline Deoloth

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 12:33:52 PM »
Quote from: RougeNPS link=topic=11007. msg126970#msg126970 date=1587575851
I think its really stupid to make an entire world that is water honestly.  I dont see much point in it.  What are you going to do with it? Orbital fishing platforms or something?

Sponsored by McDonald's Filet-O-Fish.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 12:34:21 PM »
Yes, so same logic should apply to CO2 or for Water for that matter...

Chlorine is a dangerous gas.  It gets warning labels and everything.  ;)

Everything else, moderation is key, too much of anything can be dangerous to living, and a small set of those life needs a minimum amount to survive.

I think its really stupid to make an entire world that is water honestly. I dont see much point in it. What are you going to do with it? Orbital fishing platforms or something?

Private swimming pool for myself, the God-Emperor of All Peoplekind, because I am an arrogant jerk like that.

Or maybe I'll build my throne room above it with a trapdoor like a Bond villain, and dispose of the advisors who annoy me into my world of sharks.  Mwa-hah-hah!

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 12:37:22 PM »
You mean you don't:

<snipped picture>

;D ;)

Not only do I not, I also crash massive ice asteroids into my planets to build up the hydrosphere.

Darn them pesky Ice Pirates https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ice_Pirates for stealing my precious water!

The following users thanked this post: Pedroig

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 01:12:13 PM »

Everything else, moderation is key, too much of anything can be dangerous to living, and a small set of those life needs a minimum amount to survive.

Feel free to look up Dihydrogen Monoxide. It makes for some interesting reading.

Any gas that becomes dangerous in high enough concentrations is labelled dangerous at those concentrations.

Which is not all of them.  Nitrogen, for example, never becomes dangerous.  As long as a human gets enough oxygen, and the total atmospheric pressure doesn't exceed their capacity, the amount of nitrogen is irrelevent and non-toxic.  Nitrogen dioxide, on the other hand. . .

Ehm... nitrogen is pretty dangerous in high enough concentrations. Mostly because concentration as a term is kinda relative. The biggest issue with nitrogen is that it's an inert gas that can displace oxygen from a location, which is why there's a number of regulations regarding the use of and work in inert atmospheres, including nitrogen atmospheres because it's a colourless and odourless gas. People can and have died from entering a space with an inert nitrogen atmosphere where all the oxygen has been forced out and the nitrogen is used to maintain pressure and prevent the reentry of oxygen into the room.

Offline AlStar

• Lt. Commander
  • Flag Maker Flag Maker : For creating Flags for Aurora
    Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 01:17:30 PM »
We're talking on a global scale, here. Sure, you can asphyxiate on pretty much anything, if it's the only thing in a room.

Given that we're currently living in ~78% nitrogen, without people dying from it regularly, it seems pretty safe, by volume in an atmosphere.

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 01:18:40 PM »
Also, nitrogen narcosis. You don't get symptoms from that until you're at an absolute pressure of at least a couple atmospheres, though, and it's apparently about 33 atmospheres to cause unconsciousness. But, as with anything, too much of it and it'll eventually kill you.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 02:37:02 PM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=11007. msg126952#msg126952 date=1587574343
Quote from: Pedroig link=topic=11007. msg126913#msg126913 date=1587570042
Not sure how CO2 became dangerous, guess there will be no plants on new worlds. . .    ::)

Basic chemistry.   Acidifying the bloodstream.   Poisoning the body.   Displacing the oxygen from red blood cells.

I guess that means basic biology as well.

Carbon dioxide in high concentrations is dangerous to oxygen-breathing life forms.

Yes but what uses C02 to create O2? Plants.  Its dangerous to us humans.  And to some plants in extremely high amounts.  But if you are trying to terraform a world w/a high CO2 level.  Then the best way to terraform it would be to transplant massive plants or just move chunks of forests or something.
"dangerous gases" aren't meant to indicate that an atmosphere is dangerous to a tree, it's dangerous to your primary species (which by the mechanics are generally land dwelling, oxygen-needing, carbon dioxide-expelling creatures, though I'd like to see more mechanical support in future for different kinds of races eg. aquatic).

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 05:28:06 PM »
You're in luck Pedroig - oxygen IS a dangerous gas once the atmosphere of a body is more than 30% oxygen!

So is basically every other gas we breath on a daily basis. All of them should be labelled as dangerous honestly. But, its Steve's game. His decision.

Ah, I believe you guys didn't get it - Steve has made Oxygen dangerous for humans in Aurora. If Oxygen makes up 30% or more of the atmosphere, you need infrastructure for your colony, meaning that people walk around in space suits. Same if CO2 is more than 0.5% of atmosphere or Chlorine is more than 0.005% - he didn't just pick these things and the corresponding amounts out of thin air.

The following users thanked this post: Pedroig

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 06:42:33 PM »
Whenever I look this stuff Up I'm 90% certain I'm landing on the same sources steve gets his numbers from.
Osha has a 0.5% limit for 5 hours, with 3% being the absolute maximum allowable for 10 minutes. 4% is considered threatening to life and limb. Those numbers are probably similar in Aurora.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Aezel

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2020, 07:54:49 PM »
I was wondering, shouldn't the dangerous gas concentration be absolute pressures instead of % of atmosphere? If I remember my chemistry right it's partial pressures of the gas that determines the chemical reaction, and other gases are irrelevant (as long they don't play a role in the chemical reaction or a competing one).

So I think a 0.2 bar atmosphere that is 100% oxygen would probably be totally fine, while a 3 bar atmosphere with 25% Oxygen and 75% Nitrogen most likely probably cause issues.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2020, 08:42:07 PM »
On another thread i linked a chart showing the pressure where oxygen becomes dangerous.  At 1 Atmosphere you can get past 30% before starting to suffer neurological symptoms. I dont recall the exact numbers but scuba diving is done at higher than normal pressure and as it gets higher you need to reduce the oxygen.
Whats unusual is you can get almost up to 100 atmospheres but by then you're breathing hydrogen with a teeny bit of oxygen and some other stuff. And its impossible to avoid minor neurological symptoms, its like being stoned, very dangerous.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Disguy

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2020, 08:43:17 PM »
Quote from: Hazard link=topic=11007. msg127001#msg127001 date=1587579133
Quote from: Pedroig link=topic=11007. msg126968#msg126968 date=1587575725
Yes, so same logic should apply to CO2 or for Water for that matter. . .

Chlorine is a dangerous gas.   It gets warning labels and everything.   ;)

Feel free to look up Dihydrogen Monoxide.  It makes for some interesting reading.

Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=11007. msg126978#msg126978 date=1587576729

Which is not all of them.   Nitrogen, for example, never becomes dangerous.   As long as a human gets enough oxygen, and the total atmospheric pressure doesn't exceed their capacity, the amount of nitrogen is irrelevent and non-toxic.   Nitrogen dioxide, on the other hand.  .  .

Ehm. . .  nitrogen is pretty dangerous in high enough concentrations.  Mostly because concentration as a term is kinda relative.  The biggest issue with nitrogen is that it's an inert gas that can displace oxygen from a location, which is why there's a number of regulations regarding the use of and work in inert atmospheres, including nitrogen atmospheres because it's a colourless and odourless gas.  People can and have died from entering a space with an inert nitrogen atmosphere where all the oxygen has been forced out and the nitrogen is used to maintain pressure and prevent the reentry of oxygen into the room.

Dihydrogen Monoxide is especially bad if it gets in the lungs!

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2020, 09:55:07 PM »
Dihydrogen Monoxide is especially bad if it gets in the lungs!

I think you mean Hydrogen Hydroxide.