Author Topic: 3.1 Suggestions  (Read 10873 times)

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2008, 09:28:49 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Fairly certain it's been said before.

Civilian ships should have active transponders at all times (or some other means of id'ing them).

I thought they did have. The civ colony ships in my own game have active transponders.

I have made a couple of changes in this area though for v3.2. Transponders will now pick up changes to the name of their class so (for example) you aren't stuck with TP: 625. You now get TP: Civ Colony. I have also removed the ability of civ ships to provide sensor information, including detecting themselves :)

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2008, 09:38:59 AM »
On the Ship Class screen, Component Summary tab, add a column for repair parts so we may more accurately judge total spares needed. (it sucks having a 300 part item go out, and you only have 298)

The repair points required are equal to the cost of the item. I have added a Max Repair cost to the end of the maintenance line of the class summary so you can see the maximum one-off repair cost for a class.

Steve

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2008, 10:24:30 AM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
Fairly certain it's been said before.

Civilian ships should have active transponders at all times (or some other means of id'ing them).
I thought they did have. The civ colony ships in my own game have active transponders.

I have made a couple of changes in this area though for v3.2. Transponders will now pick up changes to the name of their class so (for example) you aren't stuck with TP: 625. You now get TP: Civ Colony. I have also removed the ability of civ ships to provide sensor information, including detecting themselves :)

Steve

I guess I mean more the whoe "alien fleet" thing. Though I suppose some civilians could be alien...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2008, 10:56:10 AM »
Something to prevent the idiot civs from running out of gas.

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2008, 09:12:15 AM »
Something to prevent the idiot civs from running out of gas.

They have infinite fuel in v3.2 :)

Steve

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2008, 08:30:45 PM »
I would like to request a way to produce a less-than-maximum capability missile.  For example, my counter-missiles don't need a warhead greater than 1 point (in my opinion), but I'm forced to build them with the best possible explosives, vastly increasing their cost for zero benefit.

Likewise, as soon as I develop better missile engines I'm forced to use them in new designs.  If my existing stock of 80,000 missiles move at 2250 kms, having a few hundred that go 2400 is more annoying than helpful.  I realize I can continue to build the old missile design - my problem is that frequently I can't design a new missile that is *exactly* the same speed as the existing one, thus they can't be intermixed in a single salvo.

If that nice little window up in the top right corner of the Missile design window was editable, I could dial in exactly what I want.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Father Tim »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2008, 08:37:09 PM »
Another thing I'd love, which will be either very easy or incredibly difficult to implement, is to run the game from a database called something other than "Stevefire.mdb".  More accurately, it's for the 'Select Game' screen to let me pick games by database.

Since things fall apart when the database gets too big, I don't bother putting multiple games in a single database.  Instead, when I want to switch games I have to rename the existing database file to a campaign name, then rename the other campaign to "Stevefire.mdb".
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Father Tim »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #82 on: September 04, 2008, 01:54:05 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
Another thing I'd love, which will be either very easy or incredibly difficult to implement, is to run the game from a database called something other than "Stevefire.mdb".  More accurately, it's for the 'Select Game' screen to let me pick games by database.

Since things fall apart when the database gets too big, I don't bother putting multiple games in a single database.  Instead, when I want to switch games I have to rename the existing database file to a campaign name, then rename the other campaign to "Stevefire.mdb".

Have you tried compacting the database?

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2008, 09:14:46 AM »
Steve -

Minor suggestion/quibble/question - On the Task Group screen, I can order my TG's to pick up "x" amount of installations, but I can't seem to give them an order to drop off "y" number of installations, its either all or none.  I'd like to be able to drop off partial loads, without having to drop off the entire load and then pick up part of it again.  

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
(No subject)
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2008, 12:48:12 PM »
Is it possible to reset fighter squadrons names & numbers when you start a new game? If not can you add a button?

Regards
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by IanD »
IanD

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2008, 10:09:16 PM »
Steve-

I've been fiddling with the 6 Powers campaign lately, and I've got a question/suggestion.  On the officer corps screen, in the lower left hand corner, there are buttons for promote and demote.  No matter what I do I can't get them to work.  They are always greyed out.  

I'd really, really like to be able to use them.  There are occasions, I've found, when senior officers are, lets say, retired, voluntarily or not, and if I have to wait for Aurora to promote someone into the top slot naturally it will be years, if not decades, particularly at the start of the game.  

Kurt

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2008, 11:45:43 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
Steve-

I've been fiddling with the 6 Powers campaign lately, and I've got a question/suggestion.  On the officer corps screen, in the lower left hand corner, there are buttons for promote and demote.  No matter what I do I can't get them to work.  They are always greyed out.  

I'd really, really like to be able to use them.  There are occasions, I've found, when senior officers are, lets say, retired, voluntarily or not, and if I have to wait for Aurora to promote someone into the top slot naturally it will be years, if not decades, particularly at the start of the game.  

Kurt

Turn of auto-assign. That should enable the promote/demote buttons.

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2008, 03:51:44 PM »
Steve-

Kurt

That sounded logical, and I tried it, but it doesn't seem to change anything.  

Also, while fiddling around with this, I've run into another odd thing on the offier corps screen.  I was changing the conditions for the auto-assignment by clicking the box for "no unarmed ships".  I clicked it, and then changed the race to a different race, adn I noticed that the box was now clicked for every race, even though I hadn't set it for them.  I closed the officer corps screen, and then reopened it, and I noticed that now the "no unarmed ships" box was not checked for any any of the races.  

Very odd, and I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong, if my version of Aurora is screwed up, or if this is a bug.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

Kurt

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
(No subject)
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2008, 12:20:14 AM »
Steve-

Kurt

Also, while fiddling around with this, I've run into another odd thing on the offier corps screen.  I was changing the conditions for the auto-assignment by clicking the box for "no unarmed ships".  I clicked it, and then changed the race to a different race, adn I noticed that the box was now clicked for every race, even though I hadn't set it for them.  I closed the officer corps screen, and then reopened it, and I noticed that now the "no unarmed ships" box was not checked for any any of the races.  

Very odd, and I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong, if my version of Aurora is screwed up, or if this is a bug.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

Kurt

On the promotion thing:
Have you disabled the "Realistic commander promotion" in the game setup? If not, do it and try again.

On the checkbox thing:
I don?t think your install is screwed up, or my own is as well.
Aurora seems to remember the settings while changing races, but goes back to the default every time the window is closed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Hawkeye »
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2008, 11:26:18 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
Steve-

Kurt

Kurt

On the promotion thing:
Have you disabled the "Realistic commander promotion" in the game setup? If not, do it and try again.

On the checkbox thing:
I don?t think your install is screwed up, or my own is as well.
Aurora seems to remember the settings while changing races, but goes back to the default every time the window is closed.

Okay, that seems to have done it.  However, every time I promote someone manually, I get an error "Invalid Row Value".  It doesn't seem to have hurt anything, though.  

Thanks