Author Topic: Cumbersome to refuel another fleet?  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Thrake

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
Re: Cumbersome to refuel another fleet?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 04:12:52 PM »
In-transit refuelling, where the tanker joins the fleet:
In this mode, under the tanker's Ship Design Display tab there is a dropdown box.  Set it to Refuel Own Fleet.  'Join and Refuel' should have set this option for you.
If you haven't researched Underway Replenishment then you will need to clear the fleet's movement orders and then wait for refuelling to complete.
If you have researched Underway Replenishment then the tanker will refuel the other ships even if the fleet is doing something else.
This mode does not give any message when refuelling is complete

I tried doing this (I manually assigned the ship to the fleet and set the drop down) but my ships are stranded with no fuel. I do have the tanker set as tanker and researched underway replenishment and all, he will refuel the fleet if I clear the movement order but I must be missing something.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 09:08:37 PM »
In this mode, under the tanker's Ship Design Display tab there is a dropdown box.  Set it to Refuel Own Fleet.  'Join and Refuel' should have set this option for you.
If you haven't researched Underway Replenishment then you will need to clear the fleet's movement orders and then wait for refuelling to complete.
If you have researched Underway Replenishment then the tanker will refuel the other ships even if the fleet is doing something else.

I tried doing this (I manually assigned the ship to the fleet and set the drop down) but my ships are stranded with no fuel. I do have the tanker set as tanker and researched underway replenishment and all, he will refuel the fleet if I clear the movement order but I must be missing something.
It is possible that being out of fuel is the problem, which smells like a bug, or that another bug is in play.  If you can produce a test-case then I would suggest posting it in the bugs thread.

Offline Thrake

• T
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2020, 08:00:47 AM »

It is possible that being out of fuel is the problem, which smells like a bug, or that another bug is in play.  If you can produce a test-case then I would suggest posting it in the bugs thread.

I played some more with that and the tanker never refuels anything when the fleet has orders.

Minimal fuel is set to 500 000.

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2020, 01:27:32 PM »

I played some more with that and the tanker never refuels anything when the fleet has orders.

Minimal fuel is set to 500 000.
Please post your test case in the bugs thread.

Offline Thrake

• T
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2020, 01:42:19 PM »
Will do next time I run short of fuel, which shouldn't take long as my navy can't get anywhere without tankers, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything :)

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2020, 01:48:15 PM »
I see some additional items to check.

What is your level of underway replenishment? Basic is 20% so the refuel rate would be 20,000 liters per hour.  If the FF is completely empty, then Aurora may be generating the message before they can start moving and refueling.   

What is the burn rate on the FF - How much fuel per hour?  I doubt this is the case, but is the FF burning fuel faster than the tanker can refuel? Trying to fill the bath tub with the drain open.

Have you tried removing the movement orders and refueling at a stop?  This may address the 2 problems above.

How much fuel does your tanker actually have?  It will not refuel other ships below 500,000.

It is possible that in-transit refueling is still got some bugs.

The following users thanked this post: Thrake

Offline Thrake

• T
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2020, 03:47:10 PM »
I see some additional items to check.

What is your level of underway replenishment? Basic is 20% so the refuel rate would be 20,000 liters per hour.  If the FF is completely empty, then Aurora may be generating the message before they can start moving and refueling.   

What is the burn rate on the FF - How much fuel per hour?  I doubt this is the case, but is the FF burning fuel faster than the tanker can refuel? Trying to fill the bath tub with the drain open.

Have you tried removing the movement orders and refueling at a stop?  This may address the 2 problems above.

How much fuel does your tanker actually have?  It will not refuel other ships below 500,000.

It is possible that in-transit refueling is still got some bugs.

I have 45% underway replenishment rate. My tanker had 19 million liters and that ship design to refuel was using about 700 liters per hour for a 100k liters per hour refueling capability from the tanker. You are right, all of this could have been an issue but here that was not the cause.

Yes, refueling at stop worked. I think somebody already reported this as a bug though.

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2020, 05:09:50 PM »
I've noticed that while my tanker can refuel from another fleet (for instance, a sorium harvester), I can't refuel a separate fleet, instead I have to join the fleet (join and refuel fleet) then it happens automatically.  Refueling of a fleet that a tanker is in seems to happen regardless of whether I want it to or not.

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2020, 05:33:43 PM »
I've noticed that while my tanker can refuel from another fleet (for instance, a sorium harvester), I can't refuel a separate fleet, instead I have to join the fleet (join and refuel fleet) then it happens automatically.  Refueling of a fleet that a tanker is in seems to happen regardless of whether I want it to or not.
Each individual tanker has an option that controls in-transit refuelling by that tanker.  The 'join and refuel fleet' enables this option and then it stays on for that tanker until you manually change it to something else.  Detaching the tanker does not change this setting.

To refuel a fleet from a tanker in a different fleet, the tanker's fleet must not have any orders set and fleet to be refuelled then uses the 'refuel from stationary tanker' order.