Author Topic: v1.13.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 46710 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: v1.13.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2020, 11:04:08 PM »
So, the Small Boat Bay was changed to only hold 1 HS... or 50 tons. This makes me sad... :(

I liked the 125 Ton bay...

Since you can have multiple boat bays on a ship, I like this change as it allows more granularity in designing exactly the hangar size you need for a single specialized fighter. For example a fighter of 150 or 200 tons can now be accommodated exactly instead of wasting 50 or 100 tons on extra hangar space.

- But I design a lot of Fighters with 125 or 375 Ton profiles, precisely because they fit in a single Small Boat Bay, or a Small Boat Bay + Boat Bay. :(

But how do you get round speeds with ship sizes in the fractional HS? Truly, you are a braver man/woman/space alien than I...  :P

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2020, 11:52:50 PM »
So, the Small Boat Bay was changed to only hold 1 HS... or 50 tons. This makes me sad... :(

I liked the 125 Ton bay...

Since you can have multiple boat bays on a ship, I like this change as it allows more granularity in designing exactly the hangar size you need for a single specialized fighter. For example a fighter of 150 or 200 tons can now be accommodated exactly instead of wasting 50 or 100 tons on extra hangar space.

- But I design a lot of Fighters with 125 or 375 Ton profiles, precisely because they fit in a single Small Boat Bay, or a Small Boat Bay + Boat Bay. :(

But how do you get round speeds with ship sizes in the fractional HS? Truly, you are a braver man/woman/space alien than I...  :P

-  Close enough is good enough for me. ;D I won't complain too much... worst comes to worst I just need to rebuild certain craft. :P

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2020, 01:09:39 AM »

He could make the Small Boat Bay hold 1t, then we could precisely target any size ship.

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2020, 01:21:13 AM »

He could make the Small Boat Bay hold 1t, then we could precisely target any size ship.

- Maybe a separate component for that... or better yet, make Hangars a designable component, kind of like magazines. ;D

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2020, 02:14:45 AM »
My first and therefore probably bad idea is a setting in the fighter production menu where you can select a ship class. All built fighters would be assigned to and landed in hangars of any ships of that ship class in orbit around the planet.

You can already build fighters into a specific fleet with carriers by using the fighter target fleet.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2020, 06:07:08 AM »

- Maybe a separate component for that... or better yet, make Hangars a designable component, kind of like magazines. ;D

Designable hangars would be cool. You could choose between space efficiency and rearming efficiency for example

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, db48x, smoelf, serger

Offline King-Salomon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2020, 09:05:50 AM »
Designable hangars would be cool. You could choose between space efficiency and rearming efficiency for example

also the new repair functionality could be made to be selected for more costs/space or left to lower costs/space

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2020, 11:52:47 PM »
Carrier Operations Bonus

The Fighter Operations bonus for commanders has been renamed to the Carrier Operations bonus.

This bonus will apply to the rate at which fuel, supplies and ordnance are transferred to parasites in the ship's hangar.

While this is a current topic, could we get some clarification as to how the fighter combat / carrier ops bonuses are considered by the auto-assign? I.e. how they fit into the priority system and which ships are considered for such types of commanders. I don't think the post for C# auto-assign has been updated with this information for those bonuses.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2020, 02:58:42 AM »
Carrier Operations Bonus

The Fighter Operations bonus for commanders has been renamed to the Carrier Operations bonus.

This bonus will apply to the rate at which fuel, supplies and ordnance are transferred to parasites in the ship's hangar.

While this is a current topic, could we get some clarification as to how the fighter combat / carrier ops bonuses are considered by the auto-assign? I.e. how they fit into the priority system and which ships are considered for such types of commanders. I don't think the post for C# auto-assign has been updated with this information for those bonuses.

It is used as the primary bonus for CAG officers.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2020, 03:24:46 AM »
Carrier Operations Bonus

It is used as the primary bonus for CAG officers.

The non-command positions are listed here as:
Executive Officer
Science Officer
Commander, Air Group
Chief Engineer
Tactical Officer
Is this the order in which they are prioritized, e.g. a commander with Crew Training and Fighter/Carrier Ops will preferentially be assigned to an XO posting?

What about Fighter Combat? I assume it's assigned to <500-ton ships, but what precedence does it have relative to Crew Training, Reaction, Engineering, Tactical? Where are fighters in the auto-assign priority?

Again sorry for this being a bit outside of 1.13 discussion, but it's come up.  :)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2020, 10:52:26 AM »
Order is XO, Science, CAG, Engineer, Tactical.

I've checked the code on auto-assign and it doesn't look like I did anything specific for fighters, so at the moment so are handled using the ship mechanics.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2020, 11:10:56 AM »
Regarding Constellation Names,

Can you possibly work up a scheme to generate the names for a non-Known Stars game?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2020, 11:32:55 AM »
Regarding Constellation Names,

Can you possibly work up a scheme to generate the names for a non-Known Stars game?

There are no 3D star positions in random games, so no constellations. It would be easier to generate a name theme using all combinations of Greek letters and constellation names, which would provide over 2000 names.

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2020, 12:46:16 PM »
Very cool changes with constellations. I've always loved the Greek-Constellation naming pattern as it feels the most sci fi-y.

If we're throwing around design ideas here, hangar design would be cool too. Adding a launch rate to fighters and designing carrier space around launch rate / capacity would be interesting. Perhaps an option for an "open flight deck" too which greatly increases launch rate at the expense of damage to the hangar bay also damaging fighters and fighter explosions caused by such damage causing secondary explosions to the ship-- in true open flight defk warship fashion!

The following users thanked this post: db48x

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2020, 12:56:47 PM »
I've adopted a naming system for my games that revolves around my central system (I always use the name Solaria for my home system).  This is the system I use:

<Greek City Name> - <Position in Chain> -  <System Identifier Code> - <Jump Distance from Home World> - <Optional World Name>

I have list of about 500 ancient Greek city names which I semi-randomized but I always use Athens, Sparta, Corinth, Thebes, and Delphi first.  I change the City name every 3 to 5 planets which is the second position in the system name.

My system identifier code is as follows:

A:  Starport Present in system
N:  Naval Base (Perm. Naval Presence) in system
S:  Sorium Fueling in system
C:  Populated Colony + # of colonies
W: Part of my stabilized Jump Point Network
X:  No permanent presence

So for example, lets take a world that is the third system in the Athens Chain, has a three populated colonies of which this was the first world (Cardiff A, B, C), a sorium harvesting operation, starport present, and is part of the stabilized jump point network. And it is 9 jumps from Solaria.  Its designation would be:

ATHENS-3-ASC3W-9-CARDIFF A

I came about this system because I do a lot of paying attention to the log as I advanced turns and as my empire grew bigger, I started lose the spatial sense of where things were happening and this allowed me to better keep track of events in relation to my home world or important neighbors.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 01:15:12 PM by Kristover »

The following users thanked this post: skoormit