Author Topic: How does Artillery Support Works?  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Agraelgrimm (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • A
Re: How does Artillery Support Works?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2021, 03:19:38 PM »
You guys are great. I really appreciate the care you all took to help me out. And you are right. I will just RP this out and use a art company to support as said before. Will put some infantry and etc for RP reasons and thats it. (Like Crewmen instead of artillery and put the crewmen to avoid fighting or not, in order to simulate the attrition of counter fire barrages.
Thanks again.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2021, 03:36:18 PM »
You guys are great. I really appreciate the care you all took to help me out. And you are right. I will just RP this out and use a art company to support as said before. Will put some infantry and etc for RP reasons and thats it. (Like Crewmen instead of artillery and put the crewmen to avoid fighting or not, in order to simulate the attrition of counter fire barrages.
Thanks again.

No problem!

Just as a mechanical note: while I see people do what you do here for RP reasons (placing INF elements in artillery formations), do be aware that INF with direct fire weapons will not be able to fire if the formation is in the support or rear echelon, even if that formation is attacked. Of course infantry with light weapons can still serve as damage sponges which can help your formations have more staying power (especially per unit cost), they just won't be able to shoot at anyone while they absorb bullets. The artillery in that formation of course will have no such difficulties.

The following users thanked this post: Agraelgrimm

Offline Agraelgrimm (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 05:38:07 PM »
Thanks again.

No problem!

Just as a mechanical note: while I see people do what you do here for RP reasons (placing INF elements in artillery formations), do be aware that INF with direct fire weapons will not be able to fire if the formation is in the support or rear echelon, even if that formation is attacked. Of course infantry with light weapons can still serve as damage sponges which can help your formations have more staying power (especially per unit cost), they just won't be able to shoot at anyone while they absorb bullets. The artillery in that formation of course will have no such difficulties.

Now that is mighty useful. It means i can create a Gun Crewmen infnatry type unit, put them with light personal weapons, put to avoid battle then throw in the logistics and etc and i dont even have to bother with armor, in the meanwhile, they will soak up the damage that the artillery units are taking, making the unit fight longer. All in the while i still retain the RP aspect. Just awsome.

Offline Density

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2021, 07:14:48 PM »
Quote from: Droll link=topic=12573. msg151879#msg151879 date=1621627928
Quote from: Density link=topic=12573. msg151828#msg151828 date=1621555025
AFAIK, bombardment in the rear still has to be assigned to support another formation (or be attacked) in order to engage. 

Just so there is no misunderstanding.  Artillery elements that aren't actively supporting a formation can still fire when not being attacked themselves.  Such artillery formations will perform counter-battery fire against enemy artillery formations, so they'll still contribute to the fight this way.

I'll take your word for it, as I'm mostly working from memory and Steve's original ground rules post.
Out of curiosity, will they do counter-battery fire against any enemy artillery, against enemy artillery that fired that ground round, or just against those that fire at formations in the same hierarchy?

Offline Density

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2021, 07:27:42 PM »
Quote from: Agraelgrimm link=topic=12573. msg151895#msg151895 date=1621636687
Now that is mighty useful.  It means i can create a Gun Crewmen infnatry type unit, put them with light personal weapons, put to avoid battle then throw in the logistics and etc and i dont even have to bother with armor, in the meanwhile, they will soak up the damage that the artillery units are taking, making the unit fight longer.  All in the while i still retain the RP aspect.  Just awsome.

You might want to weigh your options on flagging them as avoid battle.  Aside from the research cost for another special use unit (which would be minimal in this case), their role is to be targetted when support and rear position formations can be attacked.  Avoid battle is pretty much the opposite of that.

Personally, I just use the same armorless, light pw infantry I use for garrisons to suppress unrest for this role.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 07:30:14 PM by Density »

Offline Agraelgrimm (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2021, 07:45:52 PM »
Quote from: Agraelgrimm link=topic=12573. msg151895#msg151895 date=1621636687
Now that is mighty useful.  It means i can create a Gun Crewmen infnatry type unit, put them with light personal weapons, put to avoid battle then throw in the logistics and etc and i dont even have to bother with armor, in the meanwhile, they will soak up the damage that the artillery units are taking, making the unit fight longer.  All in the while i still retain the RP aspect.  Just awsome.

You might want to weigh your options on flagging them as avoid battle.  Aside from the research cost for another special use unit (which would be minimal in this case), their role is to be targetted when support and rear position formations can be attacked.  Avoid battle is pretty much the opposite of that.

Personally, I just use the same armorless, light pw infantry I use for garrisons to suppress unrest for this role.

I will keep that in mind.
I am using light pw for gun crewman and officers (RP option and OCD requirement), armored units are based on tier... Motorized Infantry goes with some armour and Marines, drop troopers or mech Infantry goes with the best gear of them all, just because they are on the offensive and dont get entrenchment options.