Author Topic: Confused about harvesting sorium  (Read 688 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Confused about harvesting sorium
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2024, 09:29:13 PM »
Yeah so because the harvesters pick the nearest colony to unload their fuel at, once you have colonies elsewhere in Sol it is best to create a fuel storage colony on Pan, the innermost colony of Saturn. That way they will not go to random colonies to unload. Then once you have a tanker, you can move that fuel to Earth or wherever you need it.

The following users thanked this post: Antonin1957

Offline Antonin1957 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 10:45:03 AM »
Yeah so because the harvesters pick the nearest colony to unload their fuel at, once you have colonies elsewhere in Sol it is best to create a fuel storage colony on Pan, the innermost colony of Saturn. That way they will not go to random colonies to unload. Then once you have a tanker, you can move that fuel to Earth or wherever you need it.

The only populated colony I have is Earth. I have 8.8 automated mines on Mercury.

How do you get harvesters to load *some* fuel on Earth, then go to Jupiter or Saturn and harvest sorium, then return to Earth when full, then unload enough sorium to only leave, say, 200,000 L in its tanks, and then return to Jupiter and Saturn? I have been trying to find the right settings in Standing Orders, but with no luck.

How do you set a reserve level of fuel for your harvester? Where is that setting?

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 10:59:37 AM »
Read up and play with the tanker setting.

Offline paolot

• Lieutenant
  • p
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 02:55:26 PM »
Antonin, you should build harvester/tanker ships with rather large tanks, i.e. 1 million or more litres capacity.
Together with commercial engines, consuming very, very low fuel, you can easily go from Earth to Saturn, or even more distant, with 10% or a bit less fuel left in the tanks when you leave the Earth.
Otherwise, you are producing fuel just to move back and forth the tanker.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:01:55 PM by paolot »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 06:43:29 PM »
Fuel reserves are set in the class design window for the entire class.

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Supporter of the forum for 2024
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Supporter of the forum in 2023
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter :
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 07:35:32 PM »
I generally create a colony on the innermost moon of the gas giant I'm harvesting from.  The colony acts as a fuel dump, and stores the fuel harvested by my harvesters.  It also, and this is important, has STO's stationed on the surface to deal with any enemies that poke around, along with deep space sensor stations to see the enemies.  My harvesters have engines so that I don't have to fiddle with tugs every time I want to move them, so if an enemy is detected they can move to the nearby moon and shelter under the base's STO's.  Very important if you've got Spoilers active in your campaign. 

Kurt

Offline Antonin1957 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #21 on: Today at 02:12:51 PM »
Antonin, you should build harvester/tanker ships with rather large tanks, i.e. 1 million or more litres capacity.
Together with commercial engines, consuming very, very low fuel, you can easily go from Earth to Saturn, or even more distant, with 10% or a bit less fuel left in the tanks when you leave the Earth.
Otherwise, you are producing fuel just to move back and forth the tanker.

I created a new harvester design, setting a fuel reserve level of 200,000 L in the class design window. I built a ship, with "Primary Condition/Conditional Order = Harvester Transfer and Return." Then I gave it a movement order "Jupiter--->Move to Location."  Then I clicked "Add Move."

I advanced the game 5 days, but the ship is still in Earth orbit, with 2 mil L of fuel in its tank.

I'm still doing *something* wrong, I guess.

My new harvester design:

Gobi class Fuel Harvester      74,522 tons       309 Crew       941.3 BP       TCS 1,490    TH 672    EM 0
450 km/s      Armour 1-157       Shields 0-0       HTK 113      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 0
MSP 7    Max Repair 50 MSP
Cargo 25,000    Cargo Shuttle Multiplier 6   
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   BRG   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months   
Fuel Harvester: 12 modules producing 480,000 litres per annum

Commercial Nuclear Pulse Engine  EP168.00 (4)    Power 672    Fuel Use 2.66%    Signature 168    Explosion 3%
Fuel Capacity 2,000,000 Litres    Range 181.1 billion km (4657 days at full power)
Refuelling Capability: 60,000 litres per hour     Complete Refuel 33 hours

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a i for auto-assignment purposes