Author Topic: Weapon System Descriptions  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Weapon System Descriptions
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 10:28:59 AM »
Quote from: "kdstubbs"
Would be interested to know why you are ignoring microwave, or other Radio Frequency weapons, since Masers would be very interesting weapons.  
There is a Microwave weapon in Aurora that fries electronic systems, such as fire controls and sensors. Its short-ranged but potentially devastating. You can harden sensors against the Microwave effects, although that is expensive and you need to research the necessary tech.

Steve

Offline kdstubbs

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • k
Re: Weapon System Descriptions
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 07:34:37 PM »
Steve,
       Been away so haven't picked up this thread in a long while.  Probably passe now.  RF weapons can actually do more than just affect electronics.  I've discussed this with an electrical engineering friend of mine--holds a doctor of engineering degree.  Just trying to establish some kind of credibility for my data.  He experimented with Microwave and RF weapons, and actually caused metals in contact to weld together, not to mention the effects of induction currents.  

One interesting weapon is the ability to cause waves (any type) to add at specific points in spacetime, due to interferometry.  Setting up travel waves that add together at specific points in space time.  The deposition of energy can be pretty devastating if done correctly.  I assume you know about active phased array radars and what happens when pencil beams are focused on a given point in space in phase.
Kevin Stubbs