Author Topic: v4.6 Bugs  (Read 7151 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: V4.6 Bugs
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2009, 03:01:53 AM »
Quote from: "gregor40"
n 5 day-increments I get the following error:
Just to check, was this in v4.6 or v4.61?

Steve

Offline Charlie Beeler (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: v4.6 Bugs
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2009, 06:17:01 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
Steve,  

PDC's appear to have the same fighter allocation issue I reported for ships in V4.26.  Work around is manual database changes.
You'll have to refresh my memory as to the problem. Was this the one where you couldn't add additonal fighters, you could only set to 10, 100, etc.?

Steve

Actually, now that I've "fiddled" with it some more it's a suttly differerent issue.  

The 1, 10, 100, 1000 functions I think are alright.  It appears that the hanger space for a PDC is being calc'd at around half of what is actually available. example:  PDC had 5000tons of capacity but only allow something like 14 145ton fighters to be added to strikegroup.  If the 100 or 1000 boxes are checked I appear to get an unpredictable number of fighters added,but to get the expected error message stating that capacity has been exeeded and the total fighters added will be modified.  

I'm not at the machine that currently has to game or I'd be more precise. Hopefully I've supplied a useful set of conditions to point to the area of code.  

This one is not a show stopper since I can open the database and make manual adjustments to the classSC table.  Once that's done I have no problems with assigning fighters to squadrons and those squadrons to motherships and recover them to the waiting hangers.

I don't say it often enough,  you've worked wonders with Aurora.  It's lightyears ahead of where we all were with Starfire.  :wink:
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline zirman

• Chief Petty Officer
  • z
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 01:01:03 PM »
You mentioned that before this problem happened, you changed the rank and seniority from 9 to 2. That seems to have been the cause. Can you remember how you changed the seniority as that will help me find the problem. In a new game, as long as you don't do whatever it was you did before, you should have no problems with clicking on officers.
Steve

I didnt expalined in a good way what i did the first time. At that time when i opened the Officer window the highest rank officer was highligthed (as always happen when you open this window), then i just clicked on the lower rank officer and the error came up, and also now in the new game i just started with the 4.61 the same happend again.
if i can i will take some screenshoots to let you see what is happening! (can i add the screenshoot here with the text, or i need to send them to you trough email? if so can you send me in privete message an email address where i can send those shoots?)

(so far the small time advancing problem didnt showed up! but i didnt finished the 1st gameyear...)

Ty
The Universe is Infinite only if you hold it into your Mind!

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2009, 05:11:27 PM »
Just to check, was this in v4.6 or v4.61?

Steve

I haven't seen this since I upgraded to v4.61
I'll let you know if it rears it's ugly head again.

Stephen

Offline gregor40

• Leading Rate
  • g
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2009, 03:53:58 AM »
I have seen this occasionally myself but I haven't pinned it down yet. I assume you have the F2 window open. Can you remember if the population selected in the window when time was incremented had any shipyards?

Steve
* ver 4.60
* F2 window opened
* Population without any shipyards (only automated mines). When I select capital in the F2 window (with shipyards and colonies) there is no problem. So the problem lies obviously in the non-existing shipyards that the Aurora tries to populateOs
* Bug in ver. 4.61 seems to be fixed

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2009, 09:51:51 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
Where you getting any SM event messages about increments being adjusted or was it just a series of short increments? It is possible NPRs were fighting or interacting in some way. If that is the case, the automated turns will make things go much faster and with less frustration (I usually browse the net during a long NPR battle :)

Steve

I sometimes get the SM messages and I don´t have a problem with the slowdown in that case, after all, I know something is happening elsewhere, but when the increments just start to get shorter with no indication of anything happening with the NPRs it is annoying.
Idiot that I am, I started a new game, which overwrote the old one, but I am getting short increments again, this time the 5 day increments are shortened to 1 day mostely, sometimes a odd number of hours:minutes like 8:45:00 or 6:15:00

The database for this game is at  http://rapidshare.com/files/304549747/Stevefire.rar

Update:
I am now some 3 months further in this game and am down to 15 minute increments when using 5-day-increments on the economy screen and with autoturn on the system map as well. No SM message for the last 300 increments or so.
The database is at: http://rapidshare.com/files/305525845/Stevefire.mdb.rar
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »
Edited because r same posted on 4.61

srry for wrong bug post.

Offline tanq_tonic

• Petty Officer
  • t
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2009, 07:38:38 PM »
I think I have another weirdness situation.

Have gone through 2 weeks or so of 30, 60, and 45 minute turns; either with the auto-advance or with pressing the 5 day turn button.

Mail won't let me upload the db, but here is the link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/305745724/S ... e.mdb.html

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2009, 02:56:19 PM »
by gregor40 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:53 am
Steve Walmsley wrote:
gregor40 wrote:

I have seen this occasionally myself but I haven't pinned it down yet. I assume you have the F2 window open. Can you remember if the population selected in the window when time was incremented had any shipyards?

Steve
* ver 4.60
* F2 window opened
* Population without any shipyards (only automated mines). When I select capital in the F2 window (with shipyards and colonies) there is no problem. So the problem lies obviously in the non-existing shipyards that the Aurora tries to populateOs
* Bug in ver. 4.61 seems to be fixed

I am seeing this in v4.61 for IndustrialProjects, still Error 11 and experiencing 30 minute increments

Regards
IanD

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2009, 05:08:17 PM »
Steve -

This is a 4.46 bug, but I can't put it in the proper section because its locked.  

A problem has cropped up in the New Twin Moons Campaign.  For the last nine months of game time I have been forced to use the "Automated Turns" button on the system map screen, because my attempts to advance the time five days at time were ending prematurely after 30 minutes with no events posted to the event log.  I've assumed that this is because something was going on with one of the NPR's, as there are at least two, maybe more at this point.  

The problem is that after pushing the automated turn button the time advances 30 minutes at a time, consistently, with occasional one day jumps, and even more rarely a time jump of either less than 30 minutes or an odd number of minutes more than thirty minutes, like 11 hours, 30 minutes, until the five day economic turn happens.  This has been going on consistently with little change for several months of game time now.  There was a short break in the middle, where I was able to advance five days at a time for fifteen days or so, but then it went back to 30 minute advances and has stayed consistent for over thirty days now.  

It can't be an NPR battle, because the advances are rarely less than 30 minutes.  I've gone back on the Event update screen to see what was going on before the 30 minute advances started, but nothing jumped out at me.  At this rate I'm not going to be able to continue, because it is taking so long to get anything done.  

Do you have any recommendations for anything I can try to resolve this?  I remember something about this type of thing being encountered by others, and it might have something to do with an NPR squadron repeating orders endlessly.  

Help!

Kurt

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2009, 08:26:35 AM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
Steve -

This is a 4.46 bug, but I can't put it in the proper section because its locked.  

A problem has cropped up in the New Twin Moons Campaign.  For the last nine months of game time I have been forced to use the "Automated Turns" button on the system map screen, because my attempts to advance the time five days at time were ending prematurely after 30 minutes with no events posted to the event log.  I've assumed that this is because something was going on with one of the NPR's, as there are at least two, maybe more at this point.  

The problem is that after pushing the automated turn button the time advances 30 minutes at a time, consistently, with occasional one day jumps, and even more rarely a time jump of either less than 30 minutes or an odd number of minutes more than thirty minutes, like 11 hours, 30 minutes, until the five day economic turn happens.  This has been going on consistently with little change for several months of game time now.  There was a short break in the middle, where I was able to advance five days at a time for fifteen days or so, but then it went back to 30 minute advances and has stayed consistent for over thirty days now.  

It can't be an NPR battle, because the advances are rarely less than 30 minutes.  I've gone back on the Event update screen to see what was going on before the 30 minute advances started, but nothing jumped out at me.  At this rate I'm not going to be able to continue, because it is taking so long to get anything done.  

Do you have any recommendations for anything I can try to resolve this?  I remember something about this type of thing being encountered by others, and it might have something to do with an NPR squadron repeating orders endlessly.  

Help!

Kurt

Steve -

I don't know if this has anything to do with the issue I wrote about above, but there has been an alien civilian ship of some sort sitting on a warp point since I first detected it.  It just sits there.  I assumed that the ship was a jump gate construction ship, but IIRC the warp point already had a jump gate on it when I first discovered it, and the probing ships didn't detect the alien ship then, only later when my military was probing the system for precursors.  

That civilian ship has been sitting there for over a year, maybe more.  I am feeling a larger and larger temptation to launch a few missiles at the ship, just to see what would happen.  In spite of the fact that the aliens are more or less friendly.  The temptation, in fact, is becoming almost unbearable <G>.

Kurt

Kurt

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2009, 02:34:52 PM »
last time ive try to a "testing-range" toward an sittind duck..lead me an a Doom All-at-war Era from me and the "pacific" "Bambies":DDD
Millions death..and megaTrillions Credit wasted.. :mrgreen:

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2009, 04:18:40 PM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
I am now some 3 months further in this game and am down to 15 minute increments when using 5-day-increments on the economy screen and with autoturn on the system map as well. No SM message for the last 300 increments or so.
The database is at: http://rapidshare.com/files/305525845/Stevefire.mdb.rar
Thanks for posting the database. I have downloaded it and found the problem (explained below), which is the same one that has affected several games. It is already fixed for v4.7 but that obviously doesn't help you.

Because of an error I made in the NPR ship design code in v4.6, all NPR FAC designs have a fire control that has 3x greater range than their active sensor. When a FAC that has detected an alien ship looks down its potential list of orders it finds the highest priority is to move to optimum firing range (based on its fire control range) of the alien ship contact and open fire. However, as soon as it starts to open the range because it is closer than optimum range, it loses contact with the ship (because of its shorter active sensor range) so it can no longer fulfil that order. Instead, it closes on the nearest thermal contact (which is the same alien ship with which it just lost active contact) and detects it again, which causes it to revert to the first order and it starts to open the range again, leading to a yoyo problem. This doesn't cause a problem if another ship from the same race as the FAC is also holding the active contact because the FAC can then still see it when it moves out of its own sensor range. It is only a problem for FACs operating without the support of larger ships.

I can fix the FAC designs for this campaign and send it back to you but any new NPRs will have the same problem. I should be releasing a new version this weekend with the fix but unfortunately it won't work for existing games :(

Steve

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2009, 12:26:44 AM »
I can fix the FAC designs for this campaign and send it back to you but any new NPRs will have the same problem. I should be releasing a new version this weekend with the fix but unfortunately it won't work for existing games :)

Oh, and as I don´t think I have done it before: A great many thanks for giving this great game to us!
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline WHCnelson

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »
I am running my Vor campaign and I just encountered an alien race.  So after my fleet arrives I blow them away and when I click on the
automatic the time now advances by about 30 seconds.   I believe I have deacivated the transponders, shields, and active sensors...  I have
also un assigned all weapons, and clicked on the 1 day for the sub-pulses...  but the time is still locked on the 30 second update?   Help...  what am
I doing wrong?