Author Topic: Suggestions for v5.1  (Read 40621 times)

Offline quintin522

• Leading Rate
  • q
Re: Suggestions for v5.0
« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2010, 09:01:19 AM »
Quote from: "ZimRathbone"
Note that you can't mount HPMs in a turret for anti missile use

I was hoping for something like this. My idea was to mount them on fighters and have them act as a screening force.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Supporter of the forum in 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Supporter of the forum for 2024
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter :
    2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter :
« Reply #166 on: February 08, 2010, 08:26:02 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Does anyone have a problem with changing planetary sensors to a simple aggregate value?
Um, that was the way I thought it worked....  Or maybe I was thinking that it was going like strength~sqrt(Nsensors) due to the funky strengths that were coming out for multiple sensors.  Linear growth seems much more reasonable than exponential.

John

Offline georgiaboy1966

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #167 on: February 08, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »
Not sure if this has been Asked.

Would it be possible to add another fitler to the task force window to remove the Civilian mining centers from the list of possible population destinations on the location list portion.
Glen

Been a player since the Beta of SA, 1993?

"Constructive criticism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2010, 10:29:58 PM »
Poached from another thread... Sensor shadows for system bodies

sorry I loved Star Cruiser for 2300ad, so Submarines in space is a bit of a thing for me

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2010, 11:35:51 PM »
Quote from: "boggo2300"
Poached from another thread... Sensor shadows for system bodies

sorry I loved Star Cruiser for 2300ad, so Submarines in space is a bit of a thing for me
I have a copy of Star Cruiser for 2300 AD. It's in mint condition with the counters unpunched as I have never got around to playing it. I'll dig out the manual and take a look.

Steve

Offline MoonDragon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #170 on: February 09, 2010, 01:26:44 AM »
I'd like a way to remove civilian ships from the main F3 display. They are starting to get a bit spammy in my current game. Half of my screen is a huge wall of blue text, obscuring actual fleet names that are parked in Solar system.
(@)

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #171 on: February 09, 2010, 04:53:32 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Does anyone have a problem with changing planetary sensors to a simple aggregate value?
Um, that was the way I thought it worked....  Or maybe I was thinking that it was going like strength~sqrt(Nsensors) due to the funky strengths that were coming out for multiple sensors.  Linear growth seems much more reasonable than exponential.

John
I have no issue with this, it has never been much of an issue for me either way.
Welchbloke

Offline Balibar

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »
A suggestion for the Wealth Screen.  As the layout exists, I cannot figure out what is contributing what.  The problem is the calculations seem to be based on a month or a year and many projects will end before the time frame.  The first thing I would like is a display of the current wealth and the change from the most recent 5 day cycle.  The second thing I would like is the expenditures and income for the current 5 day cycle.  These would be especially helpful for battling the budget deficit.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #173 on: February 09, 2010, 11:31:30 AM »
Quote from: "MoonDragon"
I'd like a way to remove civilian ships from the main F3 display. They are starting to get a bit spammy in my current game. Half of my screen is a huge wall of blue text, obscuring actual fleet names that are parked in Solar system.

Over on the left hand side, one of the tabs is for fleets, and includes a checkbox for 'show civilians'. I'm away from my computer right now or I'd give you a better description of where to find it.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #174 on: February 09, 2010, 11:33:10 AM »
Quote from: "Balibar"
A suggestion for the Wealth Screen.  As the layout exists, I cannot figure out what is contributing what.  The problem is the calculations seem to be based on a month or a year and many projects will end before the time frame.  The first thing I would like is a display of the current wealth and the change from the most recent 5 day cycle.  The second thing I would like is the expenditures and income for the current 5 day cycle.  These would be especially helpful for battling the budget deficit.
If you want to change the period over which you view wealth, use the radio buttons underneath. The display of current wealth and the 5-day change is in the title bar of the economics windows.

Steve

Offline MoonDragon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2010, 12:12:17 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
Over on the left hand side, one of the tabs is for fleets, and includes a checkbox for 'show civilians'. I'm away from my computer right now or I'd give you a better description of where to find it.

If you could give one, I'd really appreciate it. Even after you said this, and I went looking for the option again, I still could not find it.
(@)

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2010, 01:34:06 PM »
Something thats come to mind as I prepare for my 5.0 game, as a multi race Earth start (once again drawing inspiration from 2300AD) is there a way that you could limit access to TN Minerals on a system body to every race to have a colony on it?  for example races 1,2 & 3 are on Earth, could you work it so that you could define Race 1 has 60% of the mineral cache, race 2 35% and race 3 (must be the chinese) 5%

I'm thinking of having as an explanation for who becomes major players, who has ready access to the minerals,  and keeping track on paper seems like something Aurora could do better?

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2010, 01:57:20 PM »
That's because I lied to you - it's not there.  It used to be on the 'Display' tab, or rather there used to be a check box to not show neutral contacts, or to not show a specific race's contacts, or maybe I'm confusing it with the (F11) 'Galactic Map' or even with SA.

So you're right, that's an excellent suggestion.  Steve, please put a checkbox on one of the (F3) 'System Map' sidebar tabs to show/hide civilian contacts.

Offline Paul

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2010, 05:09:05 PM »
I'm not sure if this has been suggested before (I did a search, but I wasn't really sure what to search for).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the current system has a minimum population growth of 2% once you reach 1 billion. Above that amount and it never falls further, no matter how high the population gets - even if you have 500 billion (I know, that would take a ridiculously long time to reach, but still).

How about an overall maximum population on worlds based on their size? Then you could have the population growth decline further past the 1 billion mark based on that size, eventually reaching 0 where the population growth would level out with as many births as there are deaths.

The reason I suggest this is, as it stands, the only need to ever colonize other worlds is to boost your population growth a bit - but once you reach a certain population level the minor boosts in growth you get from having colonies doesn't make that much difference since you're always getting the 2% on your homeworld. It's still useful to have worlds for minerals and bases to maintain your ships, but the entire financial, research, and construction capacity of your empire can be housed on Earth - even if you have billions upon billions of people. By limiting worlds to, say, 400,000 x diameter (or some similar number, whatever is deemed appropriate for gameplay - 400,000 would give earth a 5.1 billion limit) it would make colonizing worlds more important in the long run, since to support your 500 billion people you would need a large empire of worlds instead of just a ridiculously productive Earth. And even before you reached the limit, you would want to move the people off Earth since the growth would be constantly declining as the population got higher.

It could just be divided out and have the growth rate decline linearly until the limit is reached. So for example a 5 billion limit at 1 billion growth would be 2%. Add a billion and you're now about 20% closer to the limit, so growth declines 20% to 1.6%. At 4 billion you would only get 0.4% growth, eventually declining to 0 as you approach the limit. Over the limit would make growth negative, so you couldn't just farm colonists on other worlds and send them to Earth.

Thoughts?

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2010, 05:47:05 PM »
Quote from: "Paul"
I'm not sure if this has been suggested before (I did a search, but I wasn't really sure what to search for).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the current system has a minimum population growth of 2% once you reach 1 billion. Above that amount and it never falls further, no matter how high the population gets - even if you have 500 billion (I know, that would take a ridiculously long time to reach, but still).

How about an overall maximum population on worlds based on their size? Then you could have the population growth decline further past the 1 billion mark based on that size, eventually reaching 0 where the population growth would level out with as many births as there are deaths.

The reason I suggest this is, as it stands, the only need to ever colonize other worlds is to boost your population growth a bit - but once you reach a certain population level the minor boosts in growth you get from having colonies doesn't make that much difference since you're always getting the 2% on your homeworld. It's still useful to have worlds for minerals and bases to maintain your ships, but the entire financial, research, and construction capacity of your empire can be housed on Earth - even if you have billions upon billions of people. By limiting worlds to, say, 400,000 x diameter (or some similar number, whatever is deemed appropriate for gameplay - 400,000 would give earth a 5.1 billion limit) it would make colonizing worlds more important in the long run, since to support your 500 billion people you would need a large empire of worlds instead of just a ridiculously productive Earth. And even before you reached the limit, you would want to move the people off Earth since the growth would be constantly declining as the population got higher.

It could just be divided out and have the growth rate decline linearly until the limit is reached. So for example a 5 billion limit at 1 billion growth would be 2%. Add a billion and you're now about 20% closer to the limit, so growth declines 20% to 1.6%. At 4 billion you would only get 0.4% growth, eventually declining to 0 as you approach the limit. Over the limit would make growth negative, so you couldn't just farm colonists on other worlds and send them to Earth.

Thoughts?

I'm fine with this, but it should probably not be based solely on size, but other factors as well, such as hydrosphere.

I think the game assumes that enough food and water is always made for not matter how large a  population is getting.

Though in the Foundation series, and Starwars, when a planet was getting in the double billion digit, the planet were turning into city planets. If an initial low population cap is reached, like I think ten billion  general epoch that earth is going to reach in 2050. So maybe we can have a construction research for archologies, and an industry production of of them to continue population growth, or stamp out refuse issues, or pollution with a continuations into city planets at late end game campaigns.

This would provide play style options. The expansionist to support its huge population or the ones that like to turtle a bit. It'll also offer a method to not penalize players simply because RNG didnt give them a fair amount of habitable planets.