Author Topic: The Adventures and Woes of Rath's Aurora Learning Experience  (Read 8045 times)

Offline Rathos (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
Re: The Adventures and Woes of Rath's Aurora Learning Experience
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2010, 12:55:59 AM »
Quote from: "AtomikKrab"
you have a freighter faster than your patrol ship

:oops:

Code: [Select]
Spiculum class Patrol Ship    13150 tons     1382 Crew     3144 BP      TCS 263  TH 1200  EM 0
4562 km/s     Armour 1-49     Shields 0-0     Sensors 120/30/0/0     Damage Control Rating 12     PPV 29
Annual Failure Rate: 115%    IFR: 1.6%    Maintenance Capacity 2793 MSP    Max Repair 480 MSP
Magazine 340    

Magneto-plasma Drive E7 (15)    Power 80    Fuel Use 70%    Signature 80    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 500,000 Litres    Range 97.8 billion km   (248 days at full power)

30cm C5 Far Ultraviolet Laser (1)    Range 320,000km     TS: 5000 km/s     Power 24-5     RM 5    ROF 25        24 24 24 24 24 20 17 15 13 12
Fire Control S16 160-20000 (1)    Max Range: 320,000 km   TS: 20000 km/s     97 94 91 88 84 81 78 75 72 69
Stellarator Fusion Reactor Technology PB-1 AR-0 (1)     Total Power Output 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%

S5 Standard Missile Tube MLRR3 (4)    Missile Size 5    Rate of Fire 50
Missile Fire Control FC147-R14 (1)     Range 61.7m km    Resolution 14

Active Search Sensor S420-R14 (1)     GPS 5880     Range 58.8m km    Resolution 14
Active Search Sensor S420-R100 (1)     GPS 42000     Range 420.0m km    Resolution 100
Thermal Sensor TH20-120 (1)     Sensitivity 120     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  120m km
EM Detection Sensor EM5-30 (1)     Sensitivity 30     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  30m km

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

Also a light cruiser design.

Trajan class Light Cruiser    45000 tons     4918 Crew     10345 BP      TCS 900  TH 1200  EM 0
1333 km/s     Armour 10-112     Shields 0-0     Sensors 120/30/0/0     Damage Control Rating 59     PPV 240
Annual Failure Rate: 274%    IFR: 3.8%    Maintenance Capacity 9477 MSP    Max Repair 480 MSP
Magazine 1750    

Magneto-plasma Drive E7 (15)    Power 80    Fuel Use 70%    Signature 80    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 2,000,000 Litres    Range 114.3 billion km   (992 days at full power)

30cm C5 Far Ultraviolet Laser (10)    Range 320,000km     TS: 5000 km/s     Power 24-5     RM 5    ROF 25        24 24 24 24 24 20 17 15 13 12
CIWS-200 (2x6)    Range 1000 km     TS: 20000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Fire Control S16 160-20000 (2)    Max Range: 320,000 km   TS: 20000 km/s     97 94 91 88 84 81 78 75 72 69
Stellarator Fusion Reactor Technology PB-1 AR-0 (5)     Total Power Output 300    Armour 0    Exp 5%

S5 Standard Missile Tube MLRR3 (30)    Missile Size 5    Rate of Fire 50
Missile Fire Control FC147-R14 (6)     Range 61.7m km    Resolution 14
Firelance S5 Smart Missile (350)  Speed: 9,600 km/s   End: 89.3m    Range: 51.4m km   WH: 4    Size: 5    TH: 64 / 38 / 19

Active Search Sensor S420-R100 (2)     GPS 42000     Range 420.0m km    Resolution 100
Active Search Sensor S420-R14 (2)     GPS 5880     Range 58.8m km    Resolution 14
Thermal Sensor TH20-120 (1)     Sensitivity 120     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  120m km
EM Detection Sensor EM5-30 (1)     Sensitivity 30     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  30m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

It should be able to go 6 or more years I hope before requiring maintenance resupply and an overhaul. My society is pretty military oriented despite having no enemies for a long time. My plan is when I survey to have a 2 grav survey vessels, a light cruiser, and a patrol ship when entering each new system. I've also designed my first PDC. It is 5000 tons and has sensors and one missile launcher and small magazine.

Can you tow PDCs and put them in orbit around a jump gate?  Since they are so military oriented I think they will put several at each one if possible. Also I'm thinking of designing a larger one to act as a 'customs' station to make sure the emperor gets his 'tribute' from any civilian ships passing through it.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2010, 01:15:45 AM »
Quote from: "Rathos"
Can you tow PDCs and put them in orbit around a jump gate?  Since they are so military oriented I think they will put several at each one if possible. Also I'm thinking of designing a larger one to act as a 'customs' station to make sure the emperor gets his 'tribute' from any civilian ships passing through it.

Nope, as the name implies (P)lanetary (D)efence (C)enter, they can only be placed on surfaces.
That being said, you can design a, lets call it battlestation. No engines, massive armor and armament and lots and lots of engineering to keep the failure rate down.
As jump points don´t move, it doesn´t have to be in orbit, just tow it to a waypoint (or the jumppoint itself, if you want).
You will have to tow it back for mainenance eventually, though.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2010, 01:44:27 AM »
It should be able to go 6 or more years I hope before requiring maintenance resupply and an overhaul.

Maintenance resupply is absurdly easy. Simply send out a ship - any ship - to the Task Group and then transfer Maintenance Supply Points to the other ship.  You can also "Equalize Maintenance" throughout a task group, if one of your ships suffers more than it's share of failures.

Newp, but you can build a Ship with no engines (it'll have a speed of 1km/s) and tow it wherever you like.

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2010, 11:13:47 AM »

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2010, 11:28:27 AM »
I would just like to say that those are BIG ships. My biggest ships are only ever 80k ton Freighters, by largest warship is normally a 15k ton Cruiser, although that is due to new versions of the DB coming out and have to start over again - dam you Steve!

Offline Canaris

• Petty Officer
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2010, 12:06:03 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
I would just like to say that those are BIG ships.

Big seems to be an understatement.

My largest ship ever was just 72000 tons - it was a super high capacity sorium harvester and tanker.

My largest warship came in at 19800 tons - a dedicated heavy missile platform that proved to be quite effective.

The way I see it, at least when it comes to military vessels, smaller is better.
"Fairytales do not tell children that monsters exist, children already know they exist. Fairytales tell children that monsters can be killed."

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2010, 12:38:58 PM »
They are big ships, but it takes a long time to build them. I only have built 4 patrol ships 2 corvettes and my 1 North Carolina in the last 85 years of game time. I just now got enough capacity for the mega-freighters though and it says that if I tool it for Essex the shipyard should be able to produce all three types.

Now, i'm sure your interested in how things went down.

"Admiral, we've transited into Washington." a buzzcon announced.

Fleet Admiral Lord Marn Justis nodded. He stood up and walked out of his quarters and headed for CIC. It wouldn't be long before the bastards showed their faces and he needed to be in CIC to give orders to the fleet. Not that it was much of a fleet, just two ships. Two ships earth and the colonies had slaved over for thirty years to build. Packed with as many missile launchers as possible and enough magazine space to feed their hunger. One hit to a magazine and the entire ship would blow. The missiles had taken as long as the ship to produce, longer actually. The last ones were fresh off the press as soon as they had finished their three year fleet training. The result was 30 years of missiles, with continuous updates to them being slammed in the auto-loaders. The technicians promised that it didn't' matter whether it was a firestorm I or IV or a Nova Fury, as long as the missile was the right size it would fire.

He stepped onto the CIC and his flag officers saluted and went back to work. Even though there wasn't a fleet to command, he and his staff where taking up a lot of slack from the Captain and his men. Even with three years of training no one had manned a ship so large, the crew, numbering over 80 thousand took a small army to keep them all organized. Eighty-thousand of the best earth and the colonies had to offer. The entire military command structure was on the two ships, with the exception of a few logistics officers in the rear, and the old 50 year old patrol ship orbiting earth.

"Main Tacscreen."

A display flashed on infront of him detailing the entire layout of the North Carolina and the Fletcher II. The smaller ship was the same design almost, just on a much much smaller scale.

Justis watched the radar screen intently for any sign of aliens. None appeared, and the captain advanced them toward the New York Jump hole. Twelve hours later klaxons sounded. Justis stood up from the bench he had fallen asleep on.

The aliens where on long range scanners at maximum range, six of their twelve thousand ton ships blazing at them at 7750km/s.

Three hours passed while they headed toward each other, then another alarm sounded for a moment before being turned off. The aliens had activated their active radar and where now most likely firing missiles. Their range was much better due to their ECM and technology.

Another long wait, then the incoming missile alert sounded. The computer, prepared for this, was already set to fire. Two hundred and fourty Spark AMM IIs flashed out of the tubes of the Fletcher II and North Carolina. The enemy had launched only 40 missiles in all. Still, most of the Sparks missed, but enough hit to destroy all the missiles. Everyone stood silent waiting for the next volley, and the next. They never came.

"The Bastards haven't reloaded in thirty years." an officer remarked.

They kept closing and finally at 33 million kilometers the firing control systems kicked in, finally overpowering the enemy ECM.

"Flush all ASMs." Justis ordered. It took thirty seconds for the order to be relayed to the captain. Another twenty for the captain to order the technicans. Then 426 missile tubes spat four different classes of missiles at the incoming ships. Another wait. Then thermal sensors exploded with the sounds of nuclear fury.

"Ninty-nine size 9 explosions! X-ray spike! The bomb pumps have hit! Fire storms impact in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - Impact!"

Justis listened and watched. Five ships confirmed destroyed.

"Order the Fletcher to fire its volley of Novas."

They did, and they impacted still the alien ship came on, at half speed.

"Order the Fletcher to flush its firestorms."

Ten firestorm missiles flashed out...and the alien ship finally crumpled under the fire.

"Ammunition report?"

"Sir, we have 91% of our stores remaining. The Fletcher 81%."

"Order the captain to continue on, we are going to New York. It is time to make the bastards pay for what they did."

"Aye aye sir!"

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2010, 01:32:43 PM »
Civilians moving 'a freighter load' of whatever the contract calls for, instead of the specified number, is a bug and should probably be reported to Steve in the appropriate forum & thread.

Civilians being able to build a freighter that's far larger than any shipyard you own is probably also a bug.  Feel free to try and convince Steve that it should remain possible (assuming that's your opinion).

Editing your post is not always the best way to go, since it doesn't cause the 'new post' flags to go off, until someone else posts in the thread, most of us won't know there's anything new to read.  Consequently, we won't open the thread and read your edits.

I was amused that you were annoyed by civilians moving 10x20 mass drivers when you wanted them to just move ten, and then duplicating th problem in your new game by building mega-freighters again.  If you want them to move the right amounts, you need to build 5-hold freighters, or do the math and issue 1/20th size contracts.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2010, 05:02:53 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
Civilians moving 'a freighter load' of whatever the contract calls for, instead of the specified number, is a bug and should probably be reported to Steve in the appropriate forum & thread.
This is fixed for v4.9. I hadn't accounted for freighters carrying multiple items.

Steve

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2010, 12:11:54 AM »
In other news, Mars is finally habitable and the civilian Lexington mega-colony ships have begun to ferry people to the virgin world. Massive Terra-forming ships have entered Washington and Newyork and have begun work on two of the nearly-inhabitable worlds. Washington A-III already has a breathable atmosphere, however it is unbearably cold.

Edit:

A new problem has emerged. It seems the growing population on Mars has begun to become Politicaly unstable. It has a stability modifier of .49%! With 600 million people this discontent with the rule of the emperor five battalions were sent to maintain order. However this hasn't solved the reason for the unrest which is...well I have no idea. Why is my planet having so much unrest? In the events page it says there is no reason for unrest and that it has decreased to 0 over and over. Is it because I have more actual protection level than requested level in the system?

There are several things that can make your population unruly, but all of them should generate a message in the log according to the cause.

Have you, per chance, overstacked the people before Mars became fully habitable? But even then, it shouldn´t tell you it is reduced to 0 - scratching my head right now.
You could try throwing a full division at the problem

Hm, maybe the message is rounding to the nearest whole percent, so 0.49% is 0 and it is not actually talking about unrest but about stability?
Ok, I´m griping for straw now (this probably isn´t a saying in english)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2010, 12:20:12 AM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
Ok, I´m griping for straw now (this probably isn´t a saying in english)

"Grasping at straws" in English.

John

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2010, 12:25:14 AM »
You will continue to get those messages until the unrest hits 0% It's reducing twice each increment because a) youve solved the original cause of the unrest (which I bet was having more colonists on Mars than you had Infrastructure for) and b) reducing again because the troops you have stationed on Mars are policing your population there  :shock:

BTW more troops will lower the unrest faster

Matt (who almost always has unrest on Mars, I aint molly coddling my colonists with infrastructure!!)
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2010, 12:54:14 AM »
Quote from: "boggo2300"
Matt (who almost always has unrest on Mars, I aint molly coddling my colonists with infrastructure!!)
ROFL - "Real colonists don't need infrastructure - sleeping under the stars is a priviledge they never had in those overcrowded cities on Terra!"

Which could lead to a whole line of "Real Colonist" attributes:

"Real colonists don't need a water supply - they can suck the humidity out of the air!"
"Real colonists don't need PDCs - they can hide from the alien bombardment in the sand-worm holes!"

and so on...

John

Offline Rathos (OP)

• R
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2010, 01:30:25 AM »
I think it was stuck in some type of loop. The unrest wouldn't go away even after placing 20 brigades of troops on the planet. I went into SM and looked and it said the planet had 99.6 points of unrest. I reduced it to 0 and the loop broke and it is now staying at 0. I did throw people on before it was fully habitable but not that many to outstrip the infrastructure. Once it became fully habitable the civilians shipped the infra to titan and Venus and now titan had 330 million inhabitants =D It seems I don't have to build any infrastructure, the civilians make it themselves.

Things continue to progress. I still haven't gotten past the New York system. The resources in Washington and New York have been limitless (at least to my empire so far) and upgrades on the commercial shipyard have begun. The desired size is 3.6 million tons, large enough to pick up. I've also completed my 200th research lab as having Maintence Capacity up to 600 thousand tons, almost enough for my NC.

Forrestal class Terraformer    3460500 tons     33680 Crew     88493.4 BP      TCS 69210  TH 55000  EM 0
794 km/s     Armour 1-2038     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maintenance Capacity 16 MSP    Max Repair 500 MSP
Terraformer: 125 module(s) producing 1 atm per annum

Internal Confinement Fusion Drive E0.8 (220)    Power 250    Fuel Use 8%    Signature 250    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 40,000,000 Litres    Range 259.9 billion km   (3787 days at full power)

This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes

This ship will carry the hopes of millions of people on titan and venus as well as washington-A II and New York A-IV. It will render ground based terraforming obsolete!

Forty years of transforming research has gone into this and it will be a massive achievement for the empire.

Unfortunately the people of Mars and New York A III have continued to be politically unstable. They both have below .5% stability despite the legions of troops on the ground and patrol ships in orbit. The protection provided is easily double what they request yet still they complain. Fuel storage has continued to decrease and is now down to 53 million liters.

Edit: I accidently frogot to turn of continual capacity expansion. I now have a 9 million size commercial shipyard and a 5 million size military shipyard. I didn't notice they were still going until after all the resources on earth where stripped away.

So, I've decided to continue on and upgrade the military shipyard to 15 million tons after a few years....decades... of stocking up so I can build one of these:

Arleigh Burke class Fleet Command Base    14021800 tons     1079545 Crew     2225275.6 BP      TCS 280436  TH 50000  EM 0
178 km/s     Armour 100-5179     Shields 0-0     Sensors 120/120/0/0     Damage Control Rating 25000     PPV 13000
Annual Failure Rate: 157282%    IFR: 2184.5%    Maintenance Capacity 1091921 MSP    Max Repair 420 MSP
Flag Bridge    Hangar Deck Capacity 1000000 tons     Troop Capacity: 10 Battalions    Magazine 58000    
Maintenance Modules: 6200 module(s) capable of supporting ships of 1240000 tons

Internal Confinement Fusion Drive E0.8 (200)    Power 250    Fuel Use 8%    Signature 250    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 20,000,000 Litres    Range 32.0 billion km   (2083 days at full power)

CIWS-120 (100x6)    Range 1000 km     TS: 12000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
Size 24 Missile Launcher (500)    Missile Size 24    Rate of Fire 120
Size 1 Missile Launcher (1000)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 5
Missile Fire Control FC168-R14 (10)     Range 70.6m km    Resolution 14
Missile Fire Control FC147-R1 (2)     Range 4.4m km    Resolution 1
Spark II AMM (10000)  Speed: 38,400 km/s   End: 9.8m    Range: 22.5m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 460 / 276 / 138
Novafury Bomb-Pumped Xray Laser Heavy ASM (2000)  Speed: 21,300 km/s   End: 36.6m    Range: 46.8m km   WH: 90    Size: 24    TH: 149 / 89 / 44

Active Search Sensor S420-R1 (5)     GPS 420     Range 4.2m km    Resolution 1
Active Search Sensor S420-R100 (5)     GPS 42000     Range 420.0m km    Resolution 100
Active Search Sensor S420-R14 (5)     GPS 5880     Range 58.8m km    Resolution 14
Thermal Sensor TH20-120 (5)     Sensitivity 120     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  120m km
EM Detection Sensor EM20-120 (5)     Sensitivity 120     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  120m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

I'd like your guys input on ways to improve it or if you see any glarring design flaws. I know there are probably a lot, but it will be a while before I build it so I'm hoping I can correct them as I wait.

BTW the year is up to 2176, and I started in 2025. I still haven't gotten any colonies out of Sol-Washington-New York. Boston has a habitable world but the empty space of Los Angels has just kept me from expanding. The millions of minerals still available in the home systems have also kept my appetite for minerals sated. I'm down to 300-2000 years of mining though (it used to be 10s of thousand but now I have a lot more mines)

Again I'd like to know if you guys have any suggestions on things, or advice? I've still only got one government freighter so far, and just one colony ship but they are big.