Author Topic: community evolving  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: community evolving
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 10:41:34 PM »
Been on Silverlode since Day -6 :)

Offline Lafe Sparhawk

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 05:04:58 PM »
I'm so busy learning the ins and outs of Aurora....got to....get...back..to...EVE..check my market.....orders....nah, one more tutorial perhaps. :)

Lafe

Offline Lafe Sparhawk

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 05:33:35 PM »
I understand lastverb's aprehension. People new to Aurora, myself included, will have redundant, seemingly silly questions. Are we that stupid? Not really, well maybe a bit. That just reflects the steep learning curve involved. The process will shake people out, but those willing to stick with the game and learn with the support of the community will also enhance it. Will I be one of those? Time will tell.

Lafe

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 06:39:14 PM »
Quote from: "Lafe Sparhawk"
I understand lastverb's aprehension. People new to Aurora, myself included, will have redundant, seemingly silly questions. Are we that stupid? Not really, well maybe a bit. That just reflects the steep learning curve involved. The process will shake people out, but those willing to stick with the game and learn with the support of the community will also enhance it. Will I be one of those? Time will tell.

Not stupid.

We've all had many of the same questions or we've been here when Steve announced a new or changed feature.

So, you don't know everything about a complex game that, until recently, didn't really have a users manual.  Ignorance is fixable....

...So, fix it already.  15 forums with new messages a day.  Sheesh.    :D

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 08:44:28 PM »
Quote from: "ShadoCat"
Quote from: "Lafe Sparhawk"

Not stupid.

We've all had many of the same questions or we've been here when Steve announced a new or changed feature.

So, you don't know everything about a complex game that, until recently, didn't really have a users manual.  Ignorance is fixable....

...So, fix it already.  15 forums with new messages a day.  Sheesh.    :-) ) is that Steve isn't going to take the game in any direction he doesn't want it to go - like I said, he's impartial in his non-listening :-)

John

Offline Rathos

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 10:00:52 PM »
As one of the new players, I'd like to say I'm very thankful about the post on the bay12games forums.

Without it I would of never of found you and this amazingly awesome game/simulator.

I think we owe it to everyone to spread the word so other people that have dreamed of a game like Aurora and haven't found it yet.

To keep it all to ourselves would be selfish, don't you think?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 10:32:08 PM »
Quote from: "Rathos"
As one of the new players, I'd like to say I'm very thankful about the post on the bay12games forums.

Without it I would of never of found you and this amazingly awesome game/simulator.

I think we owe it to everyone to spread the word so other people that have dreamed of a game like Aurora and haven't found it yet.

To keep it all to ourselves would be selfish, don't you think?

And I hope I made it clear that y'all are welcome, at least from my perspective.

John

Offline lastverb (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 04:16:25 AM »
well when i start (not so far ago) i could get almost everything i needed to know from ooooooooold ver. tutorials, button hints in game and forum search button (yes there is one in bottom right if u didnt notice). i dont know everything about this game, but reading multiple times same (mostly stupid) questions (even posted same day), answered earlier is rather annoying. overall level of questions is going to be "how to press a button?". i know im intolerant and i just stopped even reading any help question topics
guys pls use search button and read ingame button/field hints and THINK

Online welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 06:08:50 AM »
What I like about the way the community has evolved in the last few months is the way that the spectrum of ship designs has expanded.  Now we have everything from people using nothing but 1000 ton FAC fleets all the way up to ships massing 50 million tonnes.  It just highlights to me what an excellent game Steve has created.  How many other game systems would allow you to use such a wide variety of tech and designs and not cause the game mechanics to break down?
Welchbloke

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 09:09:07 AM »
Quote from: "lastverb"
well when i start (not so far ago) i could get almost everything i needed to know from ooooooooold ver. tutorials, button hints in game and forum search button (yes there is one in bottom right if u didnt notice). i dont know everything about this game, but reading multiple times same (mostly stupid) questions (even posted same day), answered earlier is rather annoying. overall level of questions is going to be "how to press a button?". i know im intolerant and i just stopped even reading any help question topics
guys pls use search button and read ingame button/field hints and THINK

Ah - now I understand what you meant.  Yes, people it's annoying to see posts from people who won't bother to do a little research; I think the restructuring that Erik did to make the "New Players" area will help on that.  Plus, like I said, I think those sorts of people will self-select away from the game very rapidly.

John

Offline Canaris

• Petty Officer
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 11:28:32 AM »
I don't know. I'm pretty intuitive. But sometimes the forums don't answer the question the way you need it answered.

The tutorials helped me only a little bit - it allowed me to understand the basics - but all the tutorials and tool-tips in the world won't teach you everything about Aurora.

Some people learn by seeing examples, some people learn by reading descriptions, and some people learn through a simple 'yes' or 'no' process.

What kind of stupid questions have you seen? From what I've seen, with the depth of Aurora, there aren't many stupid questions.
"Fairytales do not tell children that monsters exist, children already know they exist. Fairytales tell children that monsters can be killed."

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 01:52:18 PM »
Quote from: "Canaris"
I don't know. I'm pretty intuitive. But sometimes the forums don't answer the question the way you need it answered.

The tutorials helped me only a little bit - it allowed me to understand the basics - but all the tutorials and tool-tips in the world won't teach you everything about Aurora.

Some people learn by seeing examples, some people learn by reading descriptions, and some people learn through a simple 'yes' or 'no' process.

What kind of stupid questions have you seen? From what I've seen, with the depth of Aurora, there aren't many stupid questions.

It's not a question of stupidity, it's a question of whether it feels like the asker has made even a minimum effort to discover the answer on his/her own.  A prime example of this is the display question.  I suspect we had about a dozen rounds of "Aurora doesn't support my screen size" and/or the improper install (DB and exe versions don't match) over the last few weeks.  It might have only been 5-10% of the new people coming on, but dealing with that 5-10% was tiresome.  As I've said elsewhere, what was particularly frustrating was to answer a question one day, then the next day see the same question from a different person who I knew had been on the boards for several days.  If I feel like the asker has made even a minimal (a minute or two of searching) effort to get an answer, then I'm happy to answer even the most basic questions.

I don't want this thread to take on a negative tone.  I think this is simply one aspect of human nature - in any population you're going to have this sort of thing going on.  I think there have been lots of strides forward on the structure and content of the boards so that if we get another wave of new players the effects will be mostly contained to the "new players" area.  I also agree with Welchbloke that the new blood has opened up a lot of horizons.  It was posts by some of the new mega-ship players that sparked the idea I just posted in Suggestions about Aurora Deathmatch/Trillion BP Squadron - up until now I don't think anyone has been too successful in running Aurora as a multiplayer game because the focus has been on strategic (empire building) rather than tactical (fight it out between instant-OOB fleets) Aurora.  So overall I'm happy about the new players (yourself included) - it's just that you pretty much always get a little bit of bad to go with the good.

John

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 02:12:43 PM »
First and One

Aurora are designed first ONLY FOR PERSONEL use Steve's.End.

This is a free community of "sci-fi Fans" and "HardCore Sci-Fi game" players.

Steve are free to post tutorial or not.

ive been learn Aurora in many months game alone.
Read forum,questioning and reading.
And testing,testing and testing.

My 2 cents.

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 01:23:03 AM »
Well the b12 forum, is constantly flooded with basically the same game play question, generally they get into explaining nuisances not covered in the soon to be out of date wiki that player is having issues with. A game likes these can't be help, what I find more annoying is the similar suggestions popping up time and time again.

I do try to do the search, its not terribly helpful on any forum. A few days ago, I was searching for astroid mining how to, and the search didn't find anything for the terminology I was using. I found it by accident from dicking around on the new player area.

I tend to not read those topics, as they are either covering subjects I feel strong, or parts of the game that I am not using yet, and due to that will have little recall over it.

Overall the community here seems pretty nice, and easy going, and I am really happy that I spent the 18 or so combined hours to get an emulator, get an OS, get nother OS as the first one was to old, get something to get the emulator, then figure out how to use it, figure out how to install the game, then do it over thrice, get the resolution handicap resolved.

Offline Jetman123

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2010, 10:42:19 PM »
I think the influx of new people was mostly because someone posted a link to this game and the relevant FAQ and wiki on the Dwarf Fortress forums, describing it as "DF in space" essentially. I like the analogy. Both games are hard to get into but wonderfully rewarding and complex.

Either way, I'm glad that this game is picking up. It really doesn't deserve to languish as a cult classic.