Author Topic: Not a single survivor made it back home  (Read 7685 times)

Offline Vulkan

• Leading Rate
  • V
Re: Not a single survivor made it back home
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 04:48:25 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Quote from: "Count Sessine"
Hi guys

I could use a bit of advice. I’m playing my first game of Aurora. Year is 2042 and I’ve run into some aliens who started shooting at me and who are not in the mood for talking. I don’t know if it’s the precursors or not.

I thought I should teach them a lesson so I spent a few years to build a fleet. Five missile cruisers (approx 7000 tons) with missiles that could engage at 60M km. Six fleet defense frigates with respectively gauss, beams, and AMM’s. I sent them on their way, pride of the fleet etc. Unfortunately Earth lost her sons and daughters in the void. Not a single survivor made it back.

Now, since this was my first combat I guess didn’t expect much, but I got obliterated. Utterly ?

My enemy was superior to me in all ways. His speed was 10.000 km/s on all his ships which meant I couldn’t disengage as my fleet speed was about 2500. His fleet numbered 12 * 12500 ton ships and two huge ships of 32000 tons each. His missiles had a somewhat shorter range than mine, but they flew 80.000 km/s which is maybe why my point defense was almost without effect (please advise)?

Of my missile barrages of some 50 missiles each none penetrated his point defense. That’s zero as in 0 :-)

I guess my question is how the heck I beat that guy. I even cheated with the space master (in the name of research of course) and spawned an additional 25 cruisers. These did succeed in downing a couple of ships, but all got obliterated in the end.

Any tips? How do you defend against missiles that go 80.000? And what kind of missiles and quantity barrage should I employ? And last but not least, how they heck do those enemies manage to make ships that can go 10.000 + superb point defense + offensive capabilities?

Thanks ?
Spoiler Alert! [spoiler:1wumaeqp]You have run into very advanced aliens that were added in v5.10. At low tech levels the best advice is to avoid them. Eventually you will be able to build superior ships but it is going to take a while. You can prevent more appearing by turning off precursors or you can treat them as a long term challenge[/spoiler:1wumaeqp]

Steve

[spoiler:1wumaeqp]Sorry to revive this topic, but how on earth can one avoid these when they come through a wormhole that happened to appear RIGHT in Sol system?

My defensive fleet was massacred, and a good deal of the civilian fleet as well, because it's only 2042 and I don't have the proper tech. The alien spacecraft is now bombarding my Mars colony, and it won't be long before Earth is targeted, as it is defenseless.[/spoiler:1wumaeqp]

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 08:32:28 AM »
[spoiler:f5ua4apx]If the Invaders are in your home system and your not ready....your hosed.  Fight it out too learn and apply to lessons to your next game.[/spoiler:f5ua4apx]
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Vulkan

• Leading Rate
  • V
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 01:05:23 PM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
[spoiler:1o2vhvqp]If the Invaders are in your home system and your not ready....your hosed.  Fight it out too learn and apply to lessons to your next game.[/spoiler:1o2vhvqp]

[spoiler:1o2vhvqp]I am most certainly hosed, admittedly I am still new to the game, and while I think  I have a good deal of it figured out, I will have a hard time designing something by 2042 that will be able to hit an alien ship that's 12,800 tons and goes 10,000km/s, much less something capable of killing it. I spread out my tech research a lot in this game though, so perhaps next time it will be best if I specialize in a couple areas almost exclusively, incase this happens again. Do they always appear in Sol?[/spoiler:1o2vhvqp]

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 01:14:33 PM »
Quote from: "Vulkan"
[spoiler:17baonng]If the Invaders are in your home system and your not ready....your hosed.  Fight it out too learn and apply to lessons to your next game.[/spoiler:17baonng]

[spoiler:17baonng]I am most certainly hosed, admittedly I am still new to the game, and while I think  I have a good deal of it figured out, I will have a hard time designing something by 2042 that will be able to hit an alien ship that's 12,800 tons and goes 10,000km/s, much less something capable of killing it. I spread out my tech research a lot in this game though, so perhaps next time it will be best if I specialize in a couple areas almost exclusively, incase this happens again. Do they always appear in Sol?[/spoiler:17baonng]
[spoiler:17baonng]No, you have been very unlucky.  I my game there is a stable wormhole 4 jumps away from my homeworld and it still hasn't spawned (yet).  Steve has also stated that, in the next release you will be able turn them off.  They are known as <cue drmatic music> 'The Invaders!'  :D[/spoiler:17baonng]
Welchbloke

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 01:19:38 PM »
[spoiler:2gypsghk]My game is at 2032 (start 2025).

Just designed this for my Terran Defense Squadron.  (provided I can kill the 3 64k ships currently trying to kill me :wink: ) between the corvettes and the Invaders I might have a chance.  

I first encountered the Invaders in a neighboring system and then a wormhole openned in Sol System.  It's been a fight for imperial survival about every 18 months ever since, so I may have to role the concept to the next game.[/spoiler:2gypsghk]
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 01:29:25 PM »
[spoiler:2hp8mmh1]My game is at 2032 (start 2025).

Just designed this for my Terran Defense Squadron.  (provided I can kill the 3 64k ships currently trying to kill me :wink: ) between the corvettes and the Invaders I might have a chance.  

I first encountered the Invaders in a neighboring system and then a wormhole openned in Sol System.  It's been a fight for imperial survival about every 18 months ever since, so I may have to role the concept to the next game.[/spoiler:2hp8mmh1]
That is a great idea; I wonder I have a blind spot for Mesons?  I never consider them as a useful weapon for my empire.
Welchbloke

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 01:59:35 PM »
It's a long way from an idea design.  But with the tech I have available it should be functional.  I've got a squadron of 3 8k DD's that are armed with 4 of those mesons.  Their issue that that they are too slow and the fire control is also too slow.  The best tohit for them is about 37%.

Had a forehead contusion moment when I was figuring out that I didn't enough missiles to kill what was in front of me because of the thick passives.  Lost the 4th DD before I figured out to use the fighters for damage soakers.  Steve is sure to fix that targeting selection logic, but until then I using it to hopefully save my empire.   :twisted:

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »
It's a long way from an idea design.  But with the tech I have available it should be functional.  I've got a squadron of 3 8k DD's that are armed with 4 of those mesons.  Their issue that that they are too slow and the fire control is also too slow.  The best tohit for them is about 37%.

Had a forehead contusion moment when I was figuring out that I didn't enough missiles to kill what was in front of me because of the thick passives.  Lost the 4th DD before I figured out to use the fighters for damage soakers.  Steve is sure to fix that targeting selection logic, but until then I using it to hopefully save my empire.   :twisted: )
Welchbloke

Offline Vulkan

• Leading Rate
  • V
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 05:40:47 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Quote from: "Vulkan"
[spoiler:3udr9xac]If the Invaders are in your home system and your not ready....your hosed.  Fight it out too learn and apply to lessons to your next game.[/spoiler:3udr9xac]

[spoiler:3udr9xac]I am most certainly hosed, admittedly I am still new to the game, and while I think  I have a good deal of it figured out, I will have a hard time designing something by 2042 that will be able to hit an alien ship that's 12,800 tons and goes 10,000km/s, much less something capable of killing it. I spread out my tech research a lot in this game though, so perhaps next time it will be best if I specialize in a couple areas almost exclusively, incase this happens again. Do they always appear in Sol?[/spoiler:3udr9xac]
[spoiler:3udr9xac]No, you have been very unlucky.  I my game there is a stable wormhole 4 jumps away from my homeworld and it still hasn't spawned (yet).  Steve has also stated that, in the next release you will be able turn them off.  They are known as <cue drmatic music> 'The Invaders!'  :D[/spoiler:3udr9xac]

[spoiler:3udr9xac]Thanks for the information, I've got a research aim in my new game to specifically have a military force capable of taking care of these invaders should they appear again. As long as I have a few years unheeded I will hopefully be ready by the time the dreaded wormhole appears![/spoiler:3udr9xac]

Offline Vulkan

• Leading Rate
  • V
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 01:31:22 PM »
[spoiler:15elqwr7]I'm beginning to feel incredibly unlucky... another stable wormhole just appeared in my new game, in Sol again.

This time, it's only 2034. I'm hosed again![/spoiler:15elqwr7]

Offline symon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »
No, it's not just you. Same thing happened to me. It's got so bad I have to turn them off to get anywhere. I'll be pleased to see the next release of the game, where we can control who is beetling around the galaxy with us!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:08:50 PM by symon »
"You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he said. "You think that's all that goes on between people."

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light. 1971.

Offline Vulkan

• Leading Rate
  • V
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 04:18:55 PM »
Quote from: "symon"
No, it's not just you. Same thing happened to me. It's got so bad I have to turn them off to get anywhere. I'll pleased to see the next release of the game, where we can control who is beetling around the galaxy with us!

[spoiler:pnqqmfpg]The spawn-rate should certainly be adjusted anyway, so that it's a very low probability of them appearing in Sol before, say 2050, with a normal TN start.[/spoiler:pnqqmfpg]

That said, I have outfitted my beam ships with ridiculously huge fire controls that will hopefully enable them to track effectively, and I have a PDC with the latest missile tech due in a month, so maybe this time I will survive.

EDIT: Well, that could have turned out worse, two alien ships appeared, one just flew out of planetary sensor range and disappeared, and the other rammed two freighters before blowing up, hopefully I will be able to recover decent technology from the wreck. All in all a better outcome than my last encounter with these "invaders".

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 06:25:46 PM »
I am considering removing the Sol system from the list of potential locations for new wormholes. While there is no realistic reason to exclude Sol, I think it would make for better gameplay.

Steve

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 07:17:53 PM »
I am considering removing the Sol system from the list of potential locations for new wormholes. While there is no realistic reason to exclude Sol, I think it would make for better gameplay.

Steve
I would support this as it makes a conventional start in the Sol system doable again.  I have tried three different times, and not long after I transit the first jump point I get a stable wormhole appearing.  It gets very frustrating as I am nowhere near being able to fight them.

Brian

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2010, 07:53:54 PM »
Quote from: "Brian"

Steve
I would support this as it makes a conventional start in the Sol system doable again.  I have tried three different times, and not long after I transit the first jump point I get a stable wormhole appearing.  It gets very frustrating as I am nowhere near being able to fight them.

Brian
I am starting to think there is some type of math problem in my formula for this as people are reporting more wormholes appearing than I would expect. The chance of a new wormhole appearing in any any given 5-day increment should be the length of the increment in seconds divided by the number of seconds in 10 years. Which means the chance should be 1 or 2 new WH over ten years plus the ones that are generated as part of new systems

Steve