Author Topic: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.20 or later  (Read 146304 times)

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Re: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.20 or later
« Reply #285 on: March 21, 2011, 03:34:51 AM »
Just a simple request, a tick box on the main screen, start in 'system view'

On launch it just opens a system view on your homeworld.

-----

Not sure if everyone playes from the system view as the base system, but since it has all the icons it seems reasonable that is the case.

Yes its only one click of the button or hitting F3 but it would be nice to launch the game into the game rather then finding and fiddling with the tiny menu.

Not a huge request but I am sure its a small amount of coding.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #286 on: March 21, 2011, 03:35:31 PM »
I'd like to see the additional race parameters such as additional themes on the game creation screen.

Offline viperfan7

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • v
« Reply #287 on: March 21, 2011, 06:51:19 PM »
Can we see the ability to maybe have a way to change the default naming system for new tech designs, I'm thinking that using something like regular expressions to allow it to fill the info on its own, something like this mod for X3 Terran Conflict

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=235750

*edit* unmunged url
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:31:48 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #288 on: March 22, 2011, 05:26:27 PM »
Include the auto increment option on the time control on the F2 screen. I very rarely use the system display as the main display.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #289 on: March 23, 2011, 12:04:53 AM »
Have the percentage of (Available Workers/Total Population) be a factor in two areas:

1. An increase in the Requested Protection Level, or some factor of unrest that isn't used as an interrupt like overcrowding but could be used for something else?
2. An increase in the Expenditures of the Wealth/Trade tab, a new item called Welfare or something like that.

Currently on Earth I have about 1 in 10 unemployed, I have construction rolling non-stop and also have Mars producing non-stop but it too is now at 1 in 25 unemployed because I can not keep up with the baby makers. I am playing an 'early pacifist' turned 'turtle' (i.e. no rush to explore, went one jump radius out of Sol and found Bad Things so am forting up) so my Humans should really have a lower Annual Growth Rate but I do not think we can change that in the Race Details screen?

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #290 on: March 23, 2011, 08:11:01 PM »
Given that it is really, really hard to get full employment on any colony of significant size, because growth is way faster than construction, I'm not sure it's a great idea to penalise players for it.  Besides, the "manufacturing" sector is just the TN installations owned by the state - there is a load of civilian manufacturing that produces trade goods that isn't accounted for in the jobs record.

Actually, that would be interesting. A fourth employment sector, "Commodity manufacturing" or "Civilian manufacturing" or something. Starts at 0, increases with the size of the colony (in line with the increases in trade goods production).  Then you could have that affect trade goods production.  If there was lots of trade and available unemployed workers, the size of the commodities sector would increase and you'd get more trade goods.  Great for colonies that are just built for economic reasons - no mining or manufacturing installations, so lots of free workers = more trade goods. On the other hand, if there was complete employment in the TN sector, say at a mining colony where every worker was needed for harvesting that delicious Duranium, the Commodities sector would atrophy somewhat, reducing trade goods (not to 0, say to 50% of normal trade goods production for a colony of that pop). Import requirements, obviously, would be unaffected in both cases.  If you want to also get exports from that mining colony, though, you'll need to plop down a few extra colonists than are needed for the mines - they can kickstart the non-TN manufacturing sector.

The advantage to an approach like this, over a broad penalty for unemployment, is that it doesn't add another factor that the player must micromanage. If you don't care about maximising trade goods production, you can totally ignore this addition and you'll probably never notice. But if you choose to invest a little extra time micromanaging populations to ensure a healthy civilian manufacturing sector, you'll profit from it. It also gives something for those "I only made this colony because this was a nice world" populations to do, like Mars when you get a bad roll on the mineral tables.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #291 on: March 23, 2011, 10:18:14 PM »
There is already 'Agriculture and Environmental' and also 'Service Industries' that account for a large proportion of the population and I think a lot of what you are saying is abstracted away into this. In my current game only 20% of the population is in the Public/Government Sector and the rest is either unemployed or in the Private Sector.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #292 on: March 23, 2011, 11:08:12 PM »
For Task Force Training, what do you think of adding in an option for 'Live Fire Exercises Approved' where by the training will be enhanced slightly at the expenditure of carried missiles up to a certain percentage of their maximum possibly loadout?

i.e. you have a Destroyer Squadron with 10 launchers and 200 missiles, so let them fire a few rounds off and take their mags down to about 80% capacity and that way they get a better feel of things.

Harder to do for other weapons systems since the bonus would be applied for no deficit to stocks since it would be firing off energy - unless you slightly increased the rate of 'wear and tear' on the ship?

I know you could just abstract the above into the whole act of Task Force Training but it would be nice to see another effect of it, as well as the burning of fueling and the increasing of the clock.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #293 on: March 24, 2011, 07:35:51 AM »
Would it be possible to get the civilian shiping lines to transport TN-Materials? I have around a dozen or so CMC from which i purchase the TN-Materials but its a bit annoying to produce Massdrivers etc. fpr all them.
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #294 on: March 24, 2011, 07:39:32 AM »
In the " Geological Survey Report Screen" would it be possible for the player to be able to double click on the column headings to be able to sort the information in ascending or descending order.

Offline Deutschbag

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: Pwnzerfaust
« Reply #295 on: March 24, 2011, 08:19:35 AM »
I'd like to suggest that, perhaps, ground combat ratings have far less of a promotion score. Because I keep ending up with officers with 25% ground combat score getting promoted to brigadier general and then getting retired six years later because they don't get any more assignments. I think ground training score should have much greater promotion score, and ground combat much less.

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #296 on: March 24, 2011, 11:27:50 PM »
Regarding general mineral richness on planets, moons and asteroids, it seems the range of randomness is quite high. This leads, for example, to having a rich Sol system in one game and a very poor one in the next. The random range should be smaller, and/or respond to a numeric setting customizable on game creation. This way there would be a noticeable level of variation from system to system, but nothing terribly contrasting.

Another randomness issue lies with civilian mining colonies, which, personally, I barely ever see. I believe they should be considerably more common or linked to a user setting like the aforementioned one about general galaxy richness.

Finally, the fact that jump drives are ineffective at aiding ships above the tender's tonnage but within the drive's allowance is particularly counterintuitive. I'd suggest that, if no fundamental change is possible/desirable, the game should warn the player if they're installing larger jump drive capability on a smaller ship. Like a message on the small box that tells you the design doesn't have enough crew space, among other things.

EDIT: Oh, another one: either Railgun Launch Velocity or a new specific tech should improve the speed of mineral packets, and at the same time, increase the damage a given packet would cause if the target body has no mass driver to receive it.

EDIT2: One more! Add the ability to rename (or auto-rename) civilian shipping lines. I hate the Mcphatter line. :-\
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:16:38 AM by Shadow »

Offline alexwallis

• Leading Rate
  • a
« Reply #297 on: March 25, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »
Hi.
an idea I had tonight when trying to assign officers, at the moment if you are reading the screen with a screen reader, it can be quite cluttered particularly if you are trying to read bonuses for people.
So my suggestion is, could an option be added as a preference to enable or disable,
that when you click an officer to display his or her bonuses, instead of just being shown in the officer window, they could pop up in a message box separate from the officers window itself, that way it would make reading them a lot easier.
I talked to zack about this, and he liked the idea as well.
I totally understand if you don't like this idea, and it is your game after all.
But just thought I would suggest it.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #298 on: March 25, 2011, 03:18:52 PM »
EDIT2: One more! Add the ability to rename (or auto-rename) civilian shipping lines. I hate the Mcphatter line. :-\

Gotta get the Mcminerals to the Mcpeople!

Offline Rastaman

• Azhanti High Lightning
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #299 on: March 26, 2011, 06:47:41 AM »
An option for the map to switch off the display of civilian fleets/ships, while retaining display of player controlled ships.

My shipping lines have so many ships that they utterly dominate the solar system and it's difficult to see anything else because of long lists of ship names. Granted this is a learning game where I have only expanded to one other system after 150 years, with Mars having over a billion inhabitants. The ships might spread out when I expand, but still.
Fun Fact: The minimum engine power of any ship engine in Aurora C# is 0.01. The maximum is 120000!