Author Topic: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.20 or later  (Read 146632 times)

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Official Suggestion Thread for 5.20 or later
« Reply #480 on: June 07, 2011, 08:02:44 AM »
Add a new HQ unit to the ground forces - CorpHQ with the commander being Lt General.  Immediate subordinate units are DivHQ's.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline LtWarhound

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #481 on: June 07, 2011, 07:34:50 PM »
Currently, while there is a jump transit recovery delay on sensors and fire control, there isn't a delay on firing weapons, launching parasites or transiting a jump point.  This allows an abusive tactic of minelaying immediately after a transit followed by the minelayers retreating back through the jump point, resulting in little or no damage to the attackers while leaving the defenders vulnerable and likely destroyed.  A less abusive but still invalid tactic of a scout immediately fleeing back through the jump point once it finds defenders waiting has been seen done by NPRs as well.

Reference discussion thread 'Minelaying to Victory, or Jump Point Assaults are hard?'http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3703.0.html

Offline symon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #482 on: June 08, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »
The current names generated for Civilian shipping lines are fine for Terrans but not for aliens, like my Organism. Any chance of having an SM function to rename them?
"You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he said. "You think that's all that goes on between people."

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light. 1971.

Offline Laurence

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
« Reply #483 on: June 09, 2011, 09:33:28 AM »
Add a new HQ unit to the ground forces - CorpHQ with the commander being Lt General.  Immediate subordinate units are DivHQ's.

I'd like a Battalion HQ as well, to command the Marine Companies.  :)

Offline jseah

• Captain
  • j
« Reply #484 on: June 10, 2011, 03:27:33 AM »
Calculate firing solution: (aka. simulate the firing of a missile)
Firing a missile at a target tells you how much ECM it has.  
Except that you actually have to order the ships to open fire.  

ECM should reveal it's strength when you target the ship.  

------------------------------------------

Jammer targeting missiles:
ECM and ECCM should get an EM signature.  (and firecons if they don't already have it)

When a firecon targets a ship, it projects an EM signature.  
If the target ship has an ECM, the ECM projects an EM signature.  
If the target ship has ECM and the firing ship has an ECCM, the ECCM projects an EM signature.  

Missiles with EM sensors can locate these and home in on ships with active ECM.  

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #485 on: June 11, 2011, 11:18:51 AM »
Three suggestions for auto-assign of officers:

1)  For each class, be able to set a "desired crew training bonus" (-10% to 34% range).  Those above that crew training range go to the bottom of the auto-assign list when crew training is the deciding attribute.  The idea here is that I want my best officers to go to the ships with a -10% bonus rather than those with a 34% bonus (where they won't do any good).  At present, the order of assignment within a class seems to be alphabetical based on name - this leads to the best ships getting the best captains (a bad thing).  The reason this needs to be class-specific is that cargo ships or oilers (military) ships will have a different level than warships. 

As an alternative, assign captains to ships based on a reverse-training order, i.e. lowest training gets the best captain.

2)  Have a "fill empty berths" checkbox that will assign an officer to an un-commanded ship, even if he has 0 crew training rating.  The idea here is that I want my skill-less officers to get on the job training, where the bonus might bump up to 25.  These captains should go to the ships that least need a good captain, e.g. conscript classes or those above the threshold in suggestion #1.

3)  Have a "Prioritize Staff Positions" checkbox that does what it says.  At present, it looks like staff positions are at the bottom of the barrel when assigning officers - I often end up with Intel officers with a 0% intel rating, while there's some other officer with a 30% rating that was assigned a ship because he had a crew rating of 25. 

At present, every time I do an officer reassignment wave, I have to do a LOT of rearranging.  The suggestions above would knock out a large percentage of what I'm spending my time on.

John

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #486 on: June 13, 2011, 12:46:05 AM »
Why not divide up the terraform tech, like the ground forces now have to bee researched before you can build them, you might get a standard of adding Oxygen and Nitrogen but nothing els.
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #487 on: June 14, 2011, 06:02:12 PM »
Split civilian trading between short and long distance operations:

Details:
hxxp: aurora2.  pentarch.  org/index.  php/topic,3714.  msg36169.  html#msg36169

On a different note:
Add the ability to tractor wrecks and drag them to colonies.   Salvagers working a wreck at a colony will deposit salvaged minerals/components in the planetary stockpile.   Alternately allow shipyards to tear down wrecks, or PDC-based salvage modules (which I envision as a spaceport where small salvage shuttles are based.   They fly up to the wreck in orbit, do some work, and fly their salvaged goods back down).

You could even have orbital habs manning more specialized salvaging modules.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:20:59 PM by Bgreman »

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #488 on: June 19, 2011, 05:37:31 PM »
Could you make the flag that says a planet produces ancient artifacts as a trade good be permanent.  Currently when a planet which had a ruin on it is fully exploited the planet shows as importing artifacts instead of having them available for export.  It just seems wierd to me that a planet with a ruined city (for example) would suddenly start importing artifacts when there should be a bunch over in the ruins.  Even if everything has been salvaged that is useable there will lots of unusable stuff left after all.

Brian

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #489 on: June 19, 2011, 07:01:23 PM »
Could you make the flag that says a planet produces ancient artifacts as a trade good be permanent.  Currently when a planet which had a ruin on it is fully exploited the planet shows as importing artifacts instead of having them available for export.  It just seems wierd to me that a planet with a ruined city (for example) would suddenly start importing artifacts when there should be a bunch over in the ruins.  Even if everything has been salvaged that is useable there will lots of unusable stuff left after all.

Brian

Seconded.

John

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #491 on: June 20, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »

Brian

It would also be nice if it didn't remove the notation from the information screen about who created the ruins and what level it started at. Once the ruins have been fully exploited everything relating to it disappears and that seems wrong.

--Mav

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #492 on: June 20, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »
What about adding a Financial Centre Upgrade path to the Research Tree

you know - upgrade to  2.5 per FC for 2000
to 3 for 4000
etc etc
etc

Peter

Offline x2yzh9

• Chief Petty Officer
  • x
« Reply #493 on: June 20, 2011, 03:32:44 PM »
Hello,

Me and some other B12ers(I know at least one) Have thought that at least in the late game, increment processing gets extremely slow. We were hoping some optimization in the code could fix this?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #494 on: June 20, 2011, 04:37:57 PM »
What about adding a Financial Centre Upgrade path to the Research Tree

you know - upgrade to  2.5 per FC for 2000
to 3 for 4000
etc etc
etc

Peter

This is already covered by the increased wealth production research line, since Financial Centres generate the same amount of wealth as 1,000,000 population.