Author Topic: Missile Active Sensors  (Read 3559 times)

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
Re: Missile Active Sensors
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 05:37:31 AM »
Ah yes that is it, I had thought a salvo was a group of missile fired from the same location at the same target traveling at the same speed.  Turns out its actually from the same fire control plus all the other stuff I would guess.  So after linking two size 5 launchers to one fire control and firing at the targets again only one target is destroyed and two missiles exploded.

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 06:21:11 AM »
So...  If each captor mine had only one submunition, and you lay a field of 20 mines, each powerful enough to destroy one small ship, and 20 such ships enter the trigger radius of the mines...  They are all destroyed one tick later, assuming all missiles hit? Do the mines have to be laid in separate salvos? Or are submunitions from one mine a new, separate salvo even if a whole bunch of mines that are themselves in one salvo have triggered at once?

I should know this one, because I've had captor mines trigger on my survey ships before. Sneaky precursors are sneaky.

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 07:11:38 AM »
Just tried it and if the mines are in a salvo they combine their missiles into a salvo.  When you use the Launch Missiles at command in the task groups window a salvo is all missiles fired from a single ship and of the same type I would guess.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 07:24:21 AM »
Gentlemen, I know this is the Academy, but a little judicious use of the Search Utility would have found these answers (and more).  There have been numerous discussions over how submunitions work and what sensors are needed for desired functions.  Use search phrases like "captor mine" find a wealth of information.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 07:49:10 AM »
Charlie:  Yeah, but... Lazy.  :D

Right, so it seems that the best option with mines is to lay them individually on successive ticks rather than all at once.  If your mines last three months it doesn't matter if they expire one at a time over the course of 50 seconds, but that should be enough to make them count as ten separate salvos.  Which should, in theory, make the mines target ten separate contacts.

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 05:57:49 PM »
Gentlemen, I know this is the Academy, but a little judicious use of the Search Utility would have found these answers (and more).  There have been numerous discussions over how submunitions work and what sensors are needed for desired functions.  Use search phrases like "captor mine" find a wealth of information.

Just because you can search for captor mine doesn't mean all the information is correct or complete and searching is what actually caused all of my misunderstandings.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 08:44:02 AM »
Just because you can search for captor mine doesn't mean all the information is correct or complete and searching is what actually caused all of my misunderstandings.

And every answer that is in this thread has been addressed in numerous other threads.  Find the discussions between Steve, Kurt, and Erik and you have the answers and some successful implementations.  Also some of the pitfalls.

Sensors and submunitions have simple answers but are tricky to implement. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley