Author Topic: Minelaying to victory, or, Jump point assaults are hard?  (Read 6464 times)

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Re: Minelaying to victory, or, Jump point assaults are hard?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 05:00:13 PM »
Do they need to?
It totally makes sense to be able to fire ordnance without aiming. After all, those mines will be blind for a good minute, and thats plenty of time to leave.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 05:34:41 PM »
Do they need to?
It totally makes sense to be able to fire ordnance without aiming. After all, those mines will be blind for a good minute, and thats plenty of time to leave.
The problem is that the mines are not blind.  They fire 5 seconds after the mine was fired off in the first place.  Effectivly this is 10 seconds after transiting they are fully functional.

Brian

Offline jseah

• Captain
  • j
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 01:02:59 AM »
Then make the mines blind as well?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 08:33:01 AM »
Then make the mines blind as well?

Then you're back (to a certain extent) to the problems we used to have with fire control, where one was able to "stack" missile salvos by having them hover at a waypoint.  Admittedly there are several differences, but the end effect would be that you could launch your entire stock of "mines" before coming out of sensor blindness.  It seems simpler just to disable the launchers too.

John

PS - I view sensor blindness in this case like the total disruption of people and computers from The Mote in God's Eye.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 11:27:26 AM »
I said that mines should go blind because Steve said he wanted to do that a half page back.
I suppose it is the easiest to implement.
I think this is the best solution because one of my favourite, though hardest to pull off tactics is cloaked ships that fire missiles with thermal guidance without active sensor contacts.
Submarine Style.
This would totally be broken if one has to have working sensors for this, or it would be a disruption in fluff.
I totally don't have a problem with those huge missile swarms;
While the mines are blind, the enemy can leave their visual range or destroy them, and you can't fire them all because you have one tick before jumping back.
I would love a Jump drive charge time, though; Maybe half the sensor disruption?
If you're that worried over huge missile swarms, give fire controls a limit of how many missiles they can guide at a time, and missiles that have no guidance (even if it just says "no target visible" due to jump delay) and no activated sensors would detonate.
Everything that makes it more complex should be an improvement in some way, and not being able to literally fire missiles into nothing because they couldn't be guided if you actually aimed at something seems kinda off to me.
Inconsistent.
Maybe it's just me, though.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 11:57:11 AM »
UnLimiTeD I think your reading more into John's statements than I am.

Currently Active Sensors suffer from post jump restrictions.

The suggestion consensus, as I understand it, is to also restrict launches (parasites and missiles) and jump point transitions during the post jump sensor blindness period. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 11:43:12 PM »
UnLimiTeD I think your reading more into John's statements than I am.

Currently Active Sensors suffer from post jump restrictions.

The suggestion consensus, as I understand it, is to also restrict launches (parasites and missiles) and jump point transitions during the post jump sensor blindness period. 

Charlie has the correct interpretation of what I'm trying to say.  I never meant to suggest taking away all firing at waypoints....

John

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 01:48:49 PM »
I think the simplest solution to this would be to extend the effects of jump point transit to include weapon systems, such as missile launchers, and to make sure that parasites suffer the effects as well. A bigger question is whether jump drives should be affected.

Steve

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 01:59:52 PM »
I think the simplest solution to this would be to extend the effects of jump point transit to include weapon systems, such as missile launchers, and to make sure that parasites suffer the effects as well. A bigger question is whether jump drives should be affected.

Steve
I would go with the jump drives being affected.  It makes sense that you can't jump out untill your sensors are back on line to let you see the jump point in the first place.

Brian

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 02:24:48 PM »
I would go with the jump drives being affected.  It makes sense that you can't jump out untill your sensors are back on line to let you see the jump point in the first place.

Brian

Needless to say, I agree as well.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 02:56:36 PM »
Thirded
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 10:15:11 PM »
Infinited!

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 01:28:27 AM »
aleph-oneded :)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 11:26:01 AM »
10 seconds: Attackers fire missiles at the jump point (laying the mines) and standard transit back through the jump gate.  Defenders turn on active sensors.  Even if the defenders had ASS running, they would have gotten only one salvo at the attackers.

Was this launch made by using the Msl Launch button on the fleet or ship windows? I have added a Fire Delay check to that button but just wanted to check if I had missed something else.

Steve

Offline LtWarhound (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2011, 03:09:10 PM »
Steve, if I remember right, it was done with the 'Launch Missiles at' command, selecting the jumppoint.  F12, Task Group screen, selected the jump point from the 'System Locations Available' pane, then 'Launch Missile at' from the Actions Available pane.  Queued the jump in, launch and jump out, they all showed in the 'Plotted Move' pane.  Pretty painless, really.  Well, for me, not so for the NPRs.