Author Topic: First War Ship...  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: First War Ship...
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 10:21:06 AM »
Well, your larger ship is around 14.500 tons in size. This means, you need maintenance facilities on earth for ships of that size (73 if my math is right) to keep their maintenance clock from advancin.

What you have to keep in mind is this:
As the clock advances, the chance for maintenance failers increases. This means, your 50% chance becomes 100% chance after a while, then 200%, then 400 % (this takes quite some years, mind you) and after a long time, things will get so much out of control, that the ships start to explode.

You can think of this as your ships becoming 30 years old rust-buckets that simply start to fall apart.

To counter this, put the ships into overhaul every two or three years - for which you also need enough maintenance facilities.

As a rule of thumb, I calculate my fleet needs like this:

1/3 in overhaul
1/3 on the way to/from mission area
1/3 on a mission

Usually, this is a bit on the cautious side, leaving me with more ships ready than I realy need, but it´s better to err on the side of caution.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Dutchling (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 12:06:02 PM »
How many maintenance facilities do you need for X tons of ships?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 12:18:38 PM »
i think its 200 tons per facility

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 12:25:39 PM »
How many maintenance facilities do you need for X tons of ships?

200 tons per MF. However, the Summary section of the Pop window will tell you your maintenance capacity. I think it is called "Maintenance Facility Maximum Ship Size" and it is near the top of the right-hand column.

Steve

Offline Dutchling (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • Baby Snatcher!
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 03:41:55 PM »
Ok, thanks. 
So that is why my ship exploded.  I'll make more MF before I make the new ships.

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »
I would try not to push them too far over their Est Time before Overhauling them. Also when not in use keep them stationed over a maintenance facility to keep that clock from ticking - you'll need to ensure the facility has the required minerals for the duration tho, you can see what you will need in the Economics Window, Mining/Maintenance tab.

Building a fleet of Maintenance vessels that you can send to a forward staging area is always a good idea - (you will need to create a colony to base them at and ensure minerals are unloaded at the colony). Again, if you have several maintenance ships in orbit you can see the total capacity in the same place as if they were planetary structures and when over a colony they act exactly like planet built structures - just send your fleets there to overhaul.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 08:37:19 AM »
Ok, thanks. 
So that is why my ship exploded.  I'll make more MF before I make the new ships.

And remove the 50 engineering spaces you put in (if you haven't already) - 2-3 years is good for estimated time to failure.  It's ok to have an annual failure rate over 100% - that rate is proportional to how big the ship is (think how much more frequently something breaks on an aircraft carrier compared to a destroyer)

John