Author Topic: Official v5.50 Bugs Thread  (Read 85793 times)

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
Re: Official v5.50 Bugs Thread
« Reply #480 on: November 26, 2011, 08:03:51 PM »
I've been seeing a thing in 5.54 and 5.55 where, instead of one "orders complete" message, I get a couple dozen. I think it's sending a message every interval, and then not interrupting like it's supposed to. Had a similar thing happen attempting a 2 minute interval with incoming missiles: the whole two minutes ran, and all the missiles and point blank PD and the occasional hit happened properly, just without the interrupt.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #481 on: November 26, 2011, 08:10:48 PM »
Another issue, 5.55. You can load genetic modification centers from populations that don't have any. They just appear out of thin air, as far as I can tell.

Offline Commodore_Areyar

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • I will format your cruiser!
« Reply #482 on: November 27, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »
A non-critical bug in 5.54

I'm getting messages of wrecks detected in a system I have not yet visited.
Generated it in turn one. (Also can see the unknown class's lifepods on the system map)

I probably should have added them using a non-player race as they are designated as human owned.

Still, without any sensors in a system I should not be detecting anything, even if I did actually own it.
images of planets etc

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #483 on: November 27, 2011, 08:55:07 PM »
My Leaders Window just disappeared.  I was working on it, and suddenly, it's not showing up at all.  I've tried resetting positions, changing window height, and resetting the game.  Nothing seems to work.  My computer seems to think it's in the upper right corner of the screen, but outside the area I can get to.  No errors have showed up or anything.
Edit: Figured it out myself.  What I did was left-clicked on the window in question on the start bar, hit move, then tapped an arrow key.  That brought it back.  Leaving this here for future reference.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:10:58 PM by byron »
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #484 on: November 27, 2011, 09:13:11 PM »
Try this.
Make sure you have the main tool bar selected and hit F4 to open the officers window.

Then hit
alt, left, down, down, enter
in order to select the move command from the menu you get from the icon on the top left of any open windows bar.

Use the arrow keys to move the window back into view. You may also be able to use the mouse to bring it back into view as the command attaches the pointer to the center of the window.

Edit: ah you fixed it. Leaving this up as windows 7 doesn't seem to have the same option to select move from the taskbar.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:16:10 PM by metalax »

Offline georgiaboy1966

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #485 on: November 27, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »
Error
"error in updateallsensors"
"
"error 6 was generated by Aurora"
"Overflow"

I think I have asked this one before, but never got an answer.

I know the the cause for the error is the activation of a new sensor on an enemy ship.
This error causes the above error message to appear and force a physical action from myself.

Is there a work around for it, since in large battles, you have to sit at the computer and acknoledge each error for the turn to continue.
I am having a battle right now where a 5 second turn is taking 30-45 minutes.
would be nice to leave the battle on auto over several nights to advance the battle.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:21:29 PM by georgiaboy1966 »
Glen

Been a player since the Beta of SA, 1993?

"Constructive criticism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #486 on: November 28, 2011, 06:25:23 AM »
I keep getting a error message when recovering engines from ruins.  It only started with the 5.x versions (not sure which)  In essence the program assigns a fuel efficiency to the engine that is not correct.  I recovered some tl2 nuclear engines and it gave the engine efficiency as 0.9.  I also recovered some tl5 magneto pulse engines with a fuel eff of 0.9.  When dissasembled I was getting fuel eff of .7 which was the current researchable level.  I think this started with the introduction of the conventional engines but am not sure.

Error in engines
Error 3021 was generated by DAO.field, no current record

Brian

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #487 on: November 28, 2011, 06:43:19 AM »
^^ The engines recovered from ruins behave oddly in a few other ways.  They also tend to have zero thermal signature (none!) and be hyper capable.  But you can't get either benefit from disassembly.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #488 on: November 28, 2011, 02:52:37 PM »
^^ The engines recovered from ruins behave oddly in a few other ways.  They also tend to have zero thermal signature (none!) and be hyper capable.  But you can't get either benefit from disassembly.
I've gotten some "Nuclear Thermal Engine E0" and "Ion Engine E0", which seem to have 0 fuel usage. Throws divide-by-zero errors if I try to use them, though. (It might be just a matter of "click the window away and go on", but I haven't pushed it.)

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
« Reply #489 on: November 28, 2011, 07:18:42 PM »
It's all clear now... The Precursors were really a race of interstellar ninjas! :o

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #490 on: November 28, 2011, 09:41:06 PM »
5.55 bug: Deleting a troop transport doesn't destroy the units it carries. It leaves them in limbo, with no location. Combined with the bug where precursor troop transports will surrender when you take a listening station in a completely different system, I just had to individually disband about a hundred units.

Offline Antagonist

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #491 on: December 01, 2011, 07:24:48 AM »
Then hit
alt, left, down, down, enter

FATALITY!!!

Offline LizardSF

• L
« Reply #492 on: December 01, 2011, 08:48:34 AM »
If you give a fleet orders to join/absorb another fleet, which ceases to exist before those orders can be carried out, you get a LOT of "Invalid function call" errors, a dozen or two in a lengthy turn cycle, probably one per each "attempt to execute orders" function. (I'm guessing the code does something like "Ah, they have to Join Fleet X... getPostion(FleetX)=null.... call CalculateRouteTo(null)... Error! Danger, Will Robinson!")

There's actually quite a few bugs which seem to relate to fleets disappearing, either due to combat, being absorbed by other fleets, etc. Might I suggest that, on a "fleet removed from DB" event, prior to the fleet being deleted, all other tables are searched for that fleet ID, and appropriate action taken? For orders, I'd have something like "Task Force Cargo II cannot complete order 'Move To Task Force Battle IV'. All orders will be put on hold until this is resolved."

(Also, internally, are TFs tracked by their name string, or by a unique ID? I've sometimes run into problems where I've accidentally named two fleets the same thing. Actually, there's quite a few places where it's possible to create items with the same name -- technology, for example, I've often accidentally created a research project twice. It might be good to force all strings to be unique.)

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #493 on: December 01, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
That's like having to clear destroyed targets from your targeting in combat.  It's annoying, but I don't think its actually a danger to your game, fortunately. Just have to clear it. 

I am pretty sure tech uses IDs.   Just for starters, all NPRs use the generic naming scheme while having wildly varying tech levels.  Size 5 missile launcher, woo!

Offline LizardSF

• L
« Reply #494 on: December 01, 2011, 08:40:08 PM »
That's like having to clear destroyed targets from your targeting in combat.  It's annoying, but I don't think its actually a danger to your game, fortunately. Just have to clear it. 

I am pretty sure tech uses IDs.   Just for starters, all NPRs use the generic naming scheme while having wildly varying tech levels.  Size 5 missile launcher, woo!

It's usually a lot simpler to notice you're targeting the wrong thing than to track down which of several dozen task groups is looking for a no-long existing fleet, especially when the odds are I set the orders real-world hours or days ago. (It took me a long time to realize that the cause of the error was a missing fleet in the first place; there was no indication that was it, and, for all I knew, the error was caused by an NPR action I could never see or correct.) And I certainly don't mind clearing orders that broke due to other game conditions, like there being no minerals at a site by the time one ship gets there because another ship took them... I'd just rather get an informative event in the event list than an "Invalid Function Call" error dialog.

I don't expect Aurora to protect me from my own stupidity, I just expect (or, rather, would like, if nothing else takes precedence) it to handle my stupidity with a dialog saying "You're stupid!" rather than one that says "System Error".