Author Topic: Red box around JP location?  (Read 4953 times)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Red box around JP location?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 06:54:42 PM »
I base my analysis of warp points purely off a 2 line post from steve, posted in response to questions of why one cannot destroy jumpgates.  This would in principle allow for natural and artificial jumpgates.  If the aliens that built them are alive, the JGs are artificial; if the precursors or "other" built them, they're what i'm calling "natural" in this context. 

Although I haven't stated it anywhere, the stablised jump point, rather than an actual physical jump gate, is how I tend to view it as well. Maybe I should make that canon. I'll give it some thought.

Steve
Ok - Steve will need to decide what's canon.  I was basing what I said off of the Bablyon 5 analogy from the beginnings of Aurora (and the fact one needed to use jump gate components to build them, up until the logistics got to be too big a pain), so it's a few years out of date :)

John

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »
You know, i've never gone through babylon 5.  I keep hearing the first 13 episodes are garbage, but that it gets fantastic after that.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »
You know, i've never gone through babylon 5.  I keep hearing the first 13 episodes are garbage, but that it gets fantastic after that.

It's cheesy but brilliant.  It's the only series (at least SF series) that I know of where the show runner had the entire arc in mind and was able to get enough seasons to fully tell the story (modulo seasons 4+5 being crammed into season 4 'cuz he thought it was going to get cancelled).

John

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 07:07:15 PM »
I am rewatching B5 right now, first part isnt the best but it is setting the scene. The 3rd and 4th seasons are brilliant and the 5th was kind of put together on the fly.

The movies are not that great, the Rangers one is atrocious.

The Crusade spinoff started off poorly but did start to get better and then they cancelled it :(

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 01:26:49 AM »
I suppose from a roleplay perspective you can't really determin a jumpgate is natural or artificial until metagame information is aquired. Then you can say "AHA its just a randomly stabilised jump point leading to no where special."

In other news I've just encounted a two way gate leading to a 14k KT wreck and a ruined outpost. No active precurser or other nasty suprises... I feel I've broken a barrier on the way to becomming a non-aurora noob!  ;D