Author Topic: Very new here. Will appreciate any new player tips.  (Read 4763 times)

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Very new here. Will appreciate any new player tips.
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 05:51:45 PM »
1-one ship can ( i believe) standard-jump any number of ships that are of equal or lesser tonnage than it.  However, I always build my squadrons (even my commercials) around the squadron size max, so I have not actually tested this.

The caveat there is that commercial jumpdrives cannot jump ships with military engines. Military jumpdrives can jump ships with commercial engines however.

Caveat 2 is that theres a certain minimum size on your jump drive before it becomes 'self jump' only.  

Caveat 3 is the squadron transit, which is for attacking a defended enemy jump point. This is where the squadron size max comes into play - you can only squadron transit a number of ships equal to your maximum technology.

Caveat 4 is that if you build a jumpgate on both sides of a point, any ship can standard transit through it regardless of size or jump capability.

2 -  They seem pretty balanced. Tiny missiles (size 1) look a little overpowered and so do box launchers but I am no master of Aurora combat.  Plasma carronades are weaker overall than the other weapons, but they are cheaper to research.

It is hard to say what you should equip or build because there is a lot of variety within weapon categories and what's good or not will depend a lot on the enemies you are fighting.  So generally I try to build balanced fights with some nods towards edge cases i've experienced (like long range energy fire or super missile spam.)

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 06:17:21 PM »
Also, are the weapons in your opinions balanced? It just seems like missiles are the way to go at the moment.  Any weapons that you think are not as useful so I don't include them in a warship design just yet?

Missiles are often the best way to go at low-to-mid tech levels, since they can be devastating in large numbers even at low tech. Beam weapons don't really become strong until you have sufficiently fast engines to close in to point blank range, and good enough armor, shields and point defense to survive the enemy's missiles while closing.

Offline Owen Quillion

• Chief Petty Officer
  • O
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 08:49:15 AM »
The weapon 'balance' is pretty much 'missiles and then everything else', yes. The main caveat is that you will, at some point, run out of ammo - either on the frontlines, or if things are particularly bad, even in your planetary stockpiles. Once a beam weapon is built, it costs nothing to fire it, so you'll want both.

As far as the beam weapons themselves go, the easiest, newbie-friendliest is probably lasers. The same tech lines get you solid offensive and defensive weapons, though they aren't 'the best' at either.

Of the remaining weapons, particle beams (for steady damage at range), gauss cannons (for high rate-of-fire vs. incoming missiles), and mesons (for ignoring armor) seem to be quite popular. Microwaves, as I said, are a supporting weapon at best. Plasma carronades are sort of the black sheep, having no real advantages beyond doing more damage for the same amount of research. Railguns are sort of a mix of several different weapons, but are still fairly middle-of-the-road, like lasers, except they can't be turreted so aren't useful defensively except for the fact they can fire four shots at a missile.