Author Topic: Updates to the Sol System  (Read 9708 times)

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re: Updates to the Sol System
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »
With this much more real estate it looks like a Sol only game might even be possible.  Will you be applying the modified features of Sol into the system generation algorithms?  Some of these features would not be unique to our system and should randomly generate in other systems as well.

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 11:04:52 PM »
That looks really cool! Thanks for all the hard work.

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 12:27:52 AM »
Thanks for all the hard work.

This most of all. Having experienced about 11 years worth of various mods, games, maps, etc, I have seen my fair share of failed ideas, and participated in a few of them! But, Steve, you are among a select few who have a stunning level of dedication. And it's great, I love that Aurora has such history and continues to evolve.

Tl;dr, Thanks, Steve. Aurora is in my top 5 favorite games of all time, and I hope to start writing some fiction with it in the future.

Offline Tarran

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 03:33:21 AM »
Steve, a question: Assuming I turn off Asteroid orbits, will that mean that the Trojans won't orbit either?

If so, can you possibly separate Trojans from normal asteroids in that respect? Or turn them off when asteroid orbits are off at the start? Or just have an option to remove them at the game start? Because otherwise it would look... weird compared to other asteroids since they'll be in a line in the middle of nowhere compared to the circle that the asteroid rings are.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:52:44 AM by Tarran »

Offline Rastaman

• Azhanti High Lightning
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 06:51:31 AM »
Separation of the asteroids from the planets visually is a good idea imo. Grey maybe?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:53:54 AM by Rastaman »
Fun Fact: The minimum engine power of any ship engine in Aurora C# is 0.01. The maximum is 120000!

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 04:00:50 PM »
Steve, a question: Assuming I turn off Asteroid orbits, will that mean that the Trojans won't orbit either?

If so, can you possibly separate Trojans from normal asteroids in that respect? Or turn them off when asteroid orbits are off at the start? Or just have an option to remove them at the game start? Because otherwise it would look... weird compared to other asteroids since they'll be in a line in the middle of nowhere compared to the circle that the asteroid rings are.

Yes, I am planning to separate Trojans from regular asteroids. They will orbit with the planets rather than with the asteroids.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 04:02:41 PM »
Separation of the asteroids from the planets visually is a good idea imo. Grey maybe?

Yes, I agree that asteroids probably should be a different colour, or maybe planets just have larger icons. There does need to be some visual differentiation between the two. I might also add the ability to turn off dwarf planet orbital paths as they will tend to clash with the asteroid belts.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 05:34:22 PM »
Another update:

At the moment, the planets, moons and asteroids in the Sol system are always at the same point in their orbit at the start of every game. From v5.70 onwards, every body in the Sol system will be assigned a random point in its orbit at the start of each new Sol-based campaign. This means every game will be unique in terms of the Sol system starting layout.

Steve

Offline Tarran

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 05:56:15 PM »
Yes, I am planning to separate Trojans from regular asteroids. They will orbit with the planets rather than with the asteroids.

Steve
Yay!

Another update:

At the moment, the planets, moons and asteroids in the Sol system are always at the same point in their orbit at the start of every game. From v5.70 onwards, every body in the Sol system will be assigned a random point in its orbit at the start of each new Sol-based campaign. This means every game will be unique in terms of the Sol system starting layout.

Steve
Hooray!

This just keeps getting better and better.

Anyway, I think you missed xeryon's question, Steve:
Will you be applying the modified features of Sol into the system generation algorithms?  Some of these features would not be unique to our system and should randomly generate in other systems as well.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 02:59:49 AM »
With this much more real estate it looks like a Sol only game might even be possible.  Will you be applying the modified features of Sol into the system generation algorithms?  Some of these features would not be unique to our system and should randomly generate in other systems as well.

I plan to add some of these features at some point. The most likely candidates are trojan asteroids. I may also increase the chance of asteroids appearing a long way outside the main belt.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 04:07:46 PM »
More Asteroids!

I have removed the Kuiper belt (185 random objects) from the existing Sol System and replaced it with a further 161 real-life asteroids. These break down as one hundred and thirty-five Trans-Neptunian objects (TNO), eighteen more Jupiter Trojans, two more Neptune Trojans, the three known Mars Trojans, the single Earth Trojan and two more Centaurs. 

Some of the TNOs have high eccentricity orbits and for the moment Aurora only supports circular orbits. Of course, this doesn't make a lot of difference in game terms because some of these eccentric orbits are thousands of years and in a normal game's timescales the body would only cover a tiny fraction of that orbit. Therefore, where I can find information on the current distance of an object, I have created a circular orbit at that distance. Where I can't find that information, I have created a circular orbit based on its semi-major axis.

Because the orbits of the new dwarf planets can be close together and are in the midst of the asteroid belts, I have made them a separate category in terms of turning off orbit paths, names, etc..

The first screenshot shows the outer system with the updated outer asteroids. Dwarf Planet orbital paths are turned off. Note Pluto in the inner edge of the belt at about 11 o'clock. The second screenshot shows the increased number of Jupiter Trojans and the extra few inner system asteroids. Note that because the new random bearing changes that Jupiter is starting in a different point of its orbit. The bearings of the Trojan asteroids will also be randomised within a 20 degree section of arc with the midpoint in the L4 and L5 lagrange points of their parent planet (depending on whether they are L4 or L5 Trojans). In reality the Trojans cover about 26 degrees of arc but there are a lot more asteroids in reality too. The Trojans (and all other bodies) will still retain their exact orbital distances even though the bearing are randomised

Steve

Offline backstab

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 04:37:08 PM »
looking good Steve !

When can we expect the update ??
Move foward and draw fire

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 04:47:31 PM »

Offline Elouda

• Gold Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 04:49:59 PM »
Looking good. Though it might have been said already...

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 06:31:06 AM »
looking good Steve !

Over the Easter weekend at some point (I hope!)

Steve