Author Topic: Change Log for 6.00 discussion  (Read 49293 times)

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
Re: Change Log for 5.70 discussion
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 12:25:19 PM »
Another potential problem with increasing the size of MFCs is the impact this would have on AMM ships. This is likely to be disproportionate given their need to carry far more MFCs compared to missile ships.

Offline viperfan7

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • v
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 03:16:00 PM »
With the changes made to fire controls and such, is htere any chance we could get a linked fire control system, say you have a single ship that handles fire control for the entire fleet, where there is a new component, something like a Data Link Module, or Data Link Server/Data Link Client, where ships in the same fleet with one of these can link fire control systems, or ships within a certain distance of each other, in the case of the Client/Server thing, it would be that ships with the server have linkable fire controls, while ships with the client can link into those fire controls. Would make for some interesting designs, and I can see it being especially useful for carriers with bombers, where the bombers would no longer need to have their own fire control

Offline Moonshadow101

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 07:41:02 PM »
Seems like Giant Railguns is practically the only thing in the NA rules that isn't be adapted for regular Aurora. Pity, that's the one I really wanted.  :( Not that I'm surprised, it's pretty easy to imagine why a projectile weapon is something that wouldn't translate perfectly from NA to RA and back.

Anyway, can't wait for the release!

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 08:04:06 PM »
"I may add some form of failure during very long term deployment - a failing IFF system on a mine could be entertaining - but I haven't decided yet."

A bit devious are we? Surprises are always welcome  :)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:39:26 AM by Zed 6 »

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 12:37:49 AM »
Another potential problem with increasing the size of MFCs is the impact this would have on AMM ships. This is likely to be disproportionate given their need to carry far more MFCs compared to missile ships.
I actually believe most players are drastically overengineering their AMM ships anyway.  A salvo of 5-6  missiles needs 15 AMMs shot at it which means you only need 1 MFC per 15 tubes if that is your doctrine. In any case, reducing the effectiveness of AMM defense would, in my view, actually be a plus.

Accuracy is an interesting point. With the changes in engine technology, its probably possible to make much faster / more accurate short range AMMs;  which makes maybe makes it possible to decrease missile accuracy across the board and still have viable missile defense.

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 02:45:36 AM »
I'm not sure how you would balance Beam wepaons short of maybe giving them more range, kinda like PT's...but then how would you show that on screen between 5sec intervals...light coming at you??lol

Five

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 08:13:42 AM »
I'm not sure how you would balance Beam wepaons short of maybe giving them more range, kinda like PT's...but then how would you show that on screen between 5sec intervals...light coming at you??lol

Five
You wouldn't.  You can't see light coming at you, as it's traveling at the speed of light.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Lav

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 12:39:07 PM »
Wow, I'm extremely excited about the missile changes! I don't use ECM, can't comment there... but the missile changes I am drooling over!

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »
I'm excited.  Massive range missiles make me happy.  I'll end up putting ships out beyond the solar system to do wide volleys of enemy targets.  Indirect fire FTW!

Offline Lav

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 01:43:52 PM »
I'm excited.  Massive range missiles make me happy.  I'll end up putting ships out beyond the solar system to do wide volleys of enemy targets.  Indirect fire FTW!

I can't wait to see what kind of designs we come up with. The long range potential is incredible.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 01:51:24 PM »
The problem there is targeting.  You either need the mother of all fire controls, and constant contact with the target, or really good sensors on the missiles and the ability to predict where the target will be.  Either one is a tall order.  Depending on the tech level, flight time might be long enough that even planetary targets move, and those are the tech levels where the sensors are weakest as well.

This brings another thought to mind.  For terminal sensors on missiles with warheads, would it be possible to reduce sensor costs and reactor size.  I generally build some thermal sensors into my missiles in case of overkill or the firing ship getting killed, and it would be nice to not have to build them to the same grade as bouys.  Just removing the reactor should do the trick, as I'd imagine the engine would provide sufficient power.

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 02:33:02 PM »
My own missiles will almost certainly simply become multistaged, with a size-2 or so carrier stage with a very efficient yet slow engine, then a size-4 missile on top with a max-power engine. (Although at higher techs I might end up making it two size-2 missiles instead.) My only concern with this is enemy AM coverage.

Offline Lav

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 03:49:27 PM »
The problem there is targeting.  You either need the mother of all fire controls, and constant contact with the target, or really good sensors on the missiles and the ability to predict where the target will be.  Either one is a tall order.  Depending on the tech level, flight time might be long enough that even planetary targets move, and those are the tech levels where the sensors are weakest as well.

Sensor contact will be a bit easier with long-term reactor powered sensor buoys. I already have a technique of firing off long-range drones with sensor buoys at suspect planets to see what's there before approach. Maybe enormous sensor arrays on dedicated ships, networks of buoys, and long range sensor drones/buoys. Deploy more DSTS around important systems?

Planetary targets moving poses an interesting problem - I think the biggest danger would be the missiles running out of fuel as the planet shifts unexpectedly.

Havear's plan of a simple multistage missile is an intriguingly simple adaptation to the new rules. Seems like it'd boost to-hit rates significantly over our current designs.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 04:17:31 PM »
Sensor contact will be a bit easier with long-term reactor powered sensor buoys. I already have a technique of firing off long-range drones with sensor buoys at suspect planets to see what's there before approach. Maybe enormous sensor arrays on dedicated ships, networks of buoys, and long range sensor drones/buoys. Deploy more DSTS around important systems?

Planetary targets moving poses an interesting problem - I think the biggest danger would be the missiles running out of fuel as the planet shifts unexpectedly.

Havear's plan of a simple multistage missile is an intriguingly simple adaptation to the new rules. Seems like it'd boost to-hit rates significantly over our current designs.
The problem with long-range targeting is that you need active sensor contact, and the aforementioned very long range fire control. Unless you shoot at the planet itself, in which case you only need the fire control.
The issue with relying on internal sensors is that they generally have fairly short ranges.  If you guess wrong, it just sits there until it runs out of fuel.

I've actually been thinking along similar lines to Havear.  It would be quite possible to design a missile system such that the interceptor is the same on all units, and the first stage has the same engine, and a different amount of fuel.

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »
I usually specialize my fleets for stealth and range.  Done right, I can get ships firing across millions of km and landing perfect strikes.  It all depends on spotters and lobbers.  Spotters flitter about as tiny ships with powerful stealth and thermal reduction engines, sporting small active sensors or very large ones, designed to either fly in close and spot or to sit at far range and hope the enemy can't properly see the active sensor.  Although usually it's a massive thermal sensor that keeps a vague awareness of a fleet, and the lobbers are firing missiles with sensors of their own.  Most times I have to account for planetary motion, but if I'm doing good then I can fire the missiles straight and let them track the targets the whole way.

Although with these changes, I see short-term minefields being a prime weapon of mine.  Fire it ahead of the enemy, either in the planet's orbital path or between my ship and theirs, and let the missiles' own sensors do the painting.