Author Topic: Accidents  (Read 4376 times)

Offline crys

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • c
Re: Accidents
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 09:25:22 AM »
my problem here is that maintainence problems can only occur in military ships.
if its not a grav survey, youre intented maintainence problems would hurt alot, remember maintainence failtures can only happen when youre ship is not at an maintainence base -> youre military ship should be in training or in a military mission.

about the intendet system for thouse failtures

catastropic reactor failtures are not common on earth, and new, much saver designes are not deployed yet.

in relation to engines, yes there are problems, but keep in mind, thouse are usualy fuel problems - in aurora - fuel tanks cant explode, so we have to assume its save fuel - so the main reason for engine exidents today is gone.

magazin failtures (idk if they can even explode in a maintainence failture) this would be very odd explosion again. Bombs are usualy build with a "cooking" time - i dont remember how long this time is, but it means that thouse bombs can be in fire for a "long" time without exploding.

a magazin at a spaceship shouldnt even have an oxygen supplay - so no fires. or is youre idear here more about missiles exploding by themselfes? i havent heared about "old" nuclear weapons on earth exploding on themselfes yet.

Offline Theokrat (OP)

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 10:32:07 AM »
my problem here is that maintainence problems can only occur in military ships.
if its not a grav survey, youre intented maintainence problems would hurt alot, remember maintainence failtures can only happen when youre ship is not at an maintainence base -> youre military ship should be in training or in a military mission.

about the intendet system for thouse failtures

catastropic reactor failtures are not common on earth, and new, much saver designes are not deployed yet.

in relation to engines, yes there are problems, but keep in mind, thouse are usualy fuel problems - in aurora - fuel tanks cant explode, so we have to assume its save fuel - so the main reason for engine exidents today is gone.

magazin failtures (idk if they can even explode in a maintainence failture) this would be very odd explosion again. Bombs are usualy build with a "cooking" time - i dont remember how long this time is, but it means that thouse bombs can be in fire for a "long" time without exploding.

a magazin at a spaceship shouldnt even have an oxygen supplay - so no fires. or is youre idear here more about missiles exploding by themselfes? i havent heared about "old" nuclear weapons on earth exploding on themselfes yet.

Well I would like to point out that the secondary explosion caused by damage to these components is in the game as it is. All these explosions can happen when damage is applied right now. I am only proposing to change the set of events that can lead to damage being applied, not the consequences thereof. So whether or not these things should explode upon damage is a separate discussion.

Notably all these explosions can occur through maintenance failures already, but only when you are very grossly negligent. From a realism point of view, I am arguing that if the explosions can happen through maintenance failures, then they are bound to occur as realistically no institution achieves perfect maintenance. Not NASA, not the Royal Navy, the US Air force or Japanese nuclear operators (which I take to be comparables). Certainly not when using a set of very immature, novel technology (which TN in aurora is).

Offline symon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 12:12:29 PM »
Oh there is no doubt that your suggestion is realistic Theokrat. I agree completely. The real question is 'is it fun'? My feeling is not really, unless part of a suit of optional random events, both good and bad.
"You fertility deities are worse than Marxists," he said. "You think that's all that goes on between people."

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light. 1971.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 07:37:10 PM »
Well you can RP it as is. Roll a dice or something manually for your ships and cause manual damage to simulate it.

I agree that in general some sort of less... deterministic maintenance system would be interesting.  The perfection and predictability of the current system makes it a little too easy once you figure out how it works. 

Perhaps if there was some sort of unreliability involved with prototyping designs....?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 08:24:50 PM »
Oh there is no doubt that your suggestion is realistic Theokrat. I agree completely. The real question is 'is it fun'? My feeling is not really, unless part of a suit of optional random events, both good and bad.

Random events could be interesting. As long as there are an equal weight of good vs. bad.

Offline crys

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • c
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 09:31:35 PM »
i just dont see much reason to "punish" military ships more then they are now.
if they are not at a maintainence facility, they have lots of failtures, and when they are at a maintainence facility you pay alot of resources to keep them in good condition.

maintainence is a problem just for military ships, i just dont see a reason why youre accidents shouldnt hit civilian ships(which have lesser crews, greedy civilians, saving cash on maintainence/miss use of systems).

maybe the maintainence should be activated for civilian ships, then you would get lots and lots of maintainence msgs. maybe you dont even want accidents then.

Offline GeaXle

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 03:13:21 AM »
I personaly fully agree with Theokrat. As I am sure many of you know, "Loosing is Fun", and personnaly, the worst thing that can happen in my games is when all my plans actually works.

If when I go to battle, I loose no-one and kill them all, then where was the fun? But if I get surprised by there technologies or unknown ships, if I have to sacrifice ships so the rest can survive, if I have to organise stealth missions to save survivors, or if I need to redesign many components quickly to change the whole fleet... and if in the process I realise I don't have the ressources needed and I have to start mining that system with star swarms in... then things starts to get fun!

I think Accidents who had a great deal of "rethink part of the plans". Accident does NOT mean the ship will blow up. Just that one components will be broken and stop working. It can still be repair with the Damage Control component for a higher cost. But it could also just remain broken until you get to some shipyards. It does not necessarily affect the rest of the ship. If one missile launcher fails, or if one EM sensor fail, it won't stop the ship working. But the ship won't work as perfectly as planned. It would had depth and realise to the game.

This has a big RP side, but RP is a main feature in the game. There are accidents and unexpected health conditions for you officer after all, and why would we bother saving survivor?

I also agree that rescuing survivor should be rewarded and have a positiv effect (or avoid a negativ effect) on moral or population or ship crews for examples.