Author Topic: Creating a Believable Naval Organization  (Read 7558 times)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Creating a Believable Naval Organization
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 08:51:22 AM »
However I do not know if the game automatically assigns officers to lead groups (or if its even possible currently), would be neat too.

TF commanders are NOT auto-assigned.

Their staffs are (IIRC).

John

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 09:42:13 AM »
Indeed. TF COs are manually assigned by the players, then their staffs can be auto-assigned.

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 01:21:10 PM »
Wait... I create a new TF, add a TG or ships to it, then the highest ranking officer automagically becomes TF commander. How can I assign a different one, except for Fleet HQ on Earth?

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 03:05:33 PM »
That's not how it works.  The commander of a TASK FORCE must be assigned manually by the player.  Then his or her staff will be assigned next time auto-assign runs.

I've just confirmed this by creating a new TF, creating a branch under it on Naval Org, adding some ships from a different TG to it, then creating a new TG from the branch.  The commander of the new TF is blank.

The highest ranking CO in a TASK GROUP will become the SO for that group.  Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »
Ahhh... I guess I always wondered what the TF window was good for.

Offline Zook

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »
OK, let me hijack the thread for a moment: I'm not trying to create a believable naval organization, but a useful one.

I have created several TFs, among them the Civilian Fleet HQ. I use Auto Assignments, so the TF swallows a lot of capable officers (I know I could un-assign them manually but that's too much micro-man for my taste). And the advantage of all these clicks is a slightly lower loading/unloading time of transports in the Sol system?

Is that whole organization thing really worth it? Is there a way to prevent TF positions from being filled?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 12:30:24 PM »
OK, let me hijack the thread for a moment: I'm not trying to create a believable naval organization, but a useful one.

I have created several TFs, among them the Civilian Fleet HQ. I use Auto Assignments, so the TF swallows a lot of capable officers (I know I could un-assign them manually but that's too much micro-man for my taste). And the advantage of all these clicks is a slightly lower loading/unloading time of transports in the Sol system?

Is that whole organization thing really worth it? Is there a way to prevent TF positions from being filled?

Don't assign an officer to the TF commander position, and the subordinate positions should remain empty.

Offline Marski (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 06:31:15 AM »
I got level 20 Military Academy(/ies) and one really good admiral that I have given plenty of medals for his honorable work for strenghtening the people's navy of the Soviet Union. But I still don't have any fleet admirals. Do I have to SM him into one?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 11:32:30 AM »
I got level 20 Military Academy(/ies) and one really good admiral that I have given plenty of medals for his honorable work for strenghtening the people's navy of the Soviet Union. But I still don't have any fleet admirals. Do I have to SM him into one?

You need a number of lower ranked officers. I believe for the upper ranks you need 3 of the previous rank before it promotes them.

Offline Marski (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 05:13:01 AM »
You need a number of lower ranked officers. I believe for the upper ranks you need 3 of the previous rank before it promotes them.
10 additional academies it is then

Offline WHCnelson

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 02:12:32 PM »
   I still don't understand the Naval Organization Tab.  I have created a number of Task Groups already and filled them with vessels.  But, in the NO Tab I was working and redoing them like this Web Post meantions but its difficult to do.   So, should these be set up before any vessels are created through the Fast OB Creation?.

I was thinking
        Vor Fleet Headquarts
           1st Vor Assault Fleet
              1st Battlecruiser Division
                  1st BC TsG
              1st Cruiser Division
                  1st Missile TsG
                  2nd Missile TsG
              2nd Cruiser Division
   etc. etc.

Offline vonduus

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 07:24:18 AM »
Reserves -  All ships at home base... Ships in the reserves are usually all in the same task group, making their status easy to see at a glance. The Naval Org tab lets you split squadrons out of the reserve quickly and easily.

DeadlyShoe, sir, this is very valuable information. My home planet is a mess of specialized task groups, so I'll try out this organisation of yours immediately. Thank you for the advice:)

Offline jiduthie

• Chief Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 07:18:44 PM »
10 additional academies it is then

In my experience if you want to build a large officer corps its more important to have available commands for all those officers. An officer's lifespan from graduation to death/health related retirement will be 30-40yrs but the game automatically retires officers who have not been assigned a command after 5 or 6 years. Thus you could be graduating large numbers of officers only to lose them to premature retirement.

Academies improve the average quality of officers in a given number of commands, and they will speed the growth of your corps given enough available commands, but relatively few are actually needed to have a large officer corps.

Additionally, building an officer corps is further complicated by what appears to be Aurora's tendency not to place high ranking officers in commands that require a low rank, again leading to premature retirement of competent officers. A gradation is required to ensure officers don't race to the top and then retire when commands befitting their rank don't become available.

Offline Marski (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 01:44:34 AM »
So, for example, if I were to build a flagship with the preferred commander rank set to Fleet Admiral and it's priority set to 100, would I then get that precious personnel for that rank?
I had in the game before 6.00 Five whopping battlegroups (battlegroup: 9 combat ships), one missile army (about 30 PDC), and entire fleet of commercial ships from cargo ships to surveillance vessels. Yet even with level 41 military academy I couldn't acquire single Fleet Admiral after decades of waiting.

(also I'm surprised how much conversation is going in this thread, glad to see this helping folks)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:46:11 AM by Marski »

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 05:17:09 AM »
Officer promotion is a pyramid scheme. I think you need 3 of a previous rank before someone can be promoted to the next range.

so if your fleet organization went Fleet Adm, Adm, Commodore, Capt, Commander, Lt.

you would need

1-3-9-27-81-243 officers.

I might be a bit off on that though.