Author Topic: Changing a TG from one Task Force to Another  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Changing a TG from one Task Force to Another
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »
Let me try to make it a bit clearer :)

After you organize your Fleet it might look like this

Fleet Headquarter
   -1st Fleet
      -1st Cruiser Squadron
         CA Indianapolis
         CA Chicago
      -2nd Cruiser Squadron
         CA Kent
         CA Suffolk
      -1st Destroyer Flotilla
         DD Fletcher
         DD Dewey
         DD Porter
         DD Farragut
   -2nd Fleet
      3rd Cruiser Squadron
         (and so on)

Explorer Command
   -1st Exploartion Fleet
      -1st Exploaration Squadron
         CL Brooklyn
         CL Belfast
         CL Birmingham
      -2nd Exploration Squadron
         (and so on)

If you want to have the ships of Explorer command in its own Task Force, simply select "1st Exploration Squadron" by clicking on it and then hit "Branch only" (if there are no sub-branches) or hit "Branche+sub" (if there are sub-branches) on the "Create Task Groups/Land Parasites" area.

This will create a new Task Group called 1st Exploration Squadron with all ships in that group, and belonging to the Explorer Command Task Force.

You do the same for 2nd Exploration Squdron and any other TGs you want to have in that command.

This also works, if you want to split off a sub-branche from a larger organization, like, if you want to split off 2nd Cruiser Squadron from 1st Fleet, simply select 2nd Cruiser and hit "Branche only"
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 02:48:56 PM »
Ah that is more clear.  It is just that I have been creating the task group first the dealing with the naval organizational chart second.  I have to change my way of doing things it seems.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 01:53:51 AM »
Ok did some work on the organigram for the CN and it now looks better and more clear...

1st Fleet-->Task Force 1-->Task Group 1-->1st Squadron Battlegroup & 1st Squadron Support Group (the last two are different branches under 1st Squadron) and so forth.

Now the darn thing gives useful information.  Trouble is it doesn't auto update though.  But as of now BIC and the Navy are seperated nicely and everything is organized neatly.

Thanks everyone for assisting in the schönehiet of the naval command and control display.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 08:52:48 AM »
This will create a new Task Group called 1st Exploration Squadron with all ships in that group, and belonging to the Explorer Command Task Force.

Thanks for the clarification, Hawkeye.  One subtlety, though - it will have all the ships in the 1st Exploration Squadron branch that are colocated with the currently selected TG.  So if the squadron's ships are in Earth orbit but your currently selected TG is at Mars, this process will result in an empty TG.  This is why you should always click on one of the ships in the branch that you want first - that will change the currently selected TG to the one containing that ship, and you'll at least get that ship in the 1st Exploration Squadron TG.

John

Offline Texashawk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 10:56:18 AM »
Did a search for this topic since I had this exact question. My feedback would be, for a game that avowed space Sci-Fi and military Sci-Fi lovers play (it seems) this part of the game is so intertwined and there are so many neat possibilities with task forces (i.e. fleets) - why is this seemingly basic action (reassign ships/TG's task forces) so dauntingly difficult?

Offline Execrated1

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 02:05:06 PM »
You have to remember that this game is a work in progress, things are gonna be unpolished at times.
That being said, its not difficult its just a bit confusing. Using the Naval Organization tab to assign a ship to a task force does work, it just doesn't register on the task group window. The extra steps are needed to make it register correctly.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:49:57 PM by Execrated1 »

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 06:29:25 AM »
Remember people, you can insert a space in front of a TG's name and have it pop up first in the drop-down menu. It's very useful when you start to have more than a dozen TG's - have the most important TG have 2 spaces, the second-most important 1 space and the others no spaces in front of their name. Don't remember who told me that tip, I had been using the letter x instead. Works with the Naval Tab as well, in that if you name them with the spaces in front, and then later create a TG from that branch, the TG will automatically have the space in the name as well. Useful if you want " Command Element" to pop up earlier in the list than "Assault Element".

Offline rubicon

• Leading Rate
  • r
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 10:10:59 PM »
A problem I was having was that even though you could successfully create a new Task Force (Crtl-F4), create branches under it and assign Task Groups to it, in the Naval Organization window tab (F12), when you looked at the Task Force Organization window, the Task Group was still assigned to the Fleet Headquarters Task Force.   So when you select it under the branch it is assigned in the Naval Organization window tab and look at the Details and Special Orders area in the top left, the Task Force drop down shows it still being assigned to the Fleet Headquarters Task Force.   The solution: in the Initiative area below the Task Force drop down there is a Set button.   

1.     Select the Task Group that you have assigned to the branch under the new Task Force.   
2.     In the Task Force drop down, change the Task Force to the new Task Force that you have created.   
3.     Push the Set button in the Initiative area.   

Your Task Group under your new branch of your new Task Force should now show up correctly in the Task Force Organizations (Crtl-F4) window and whenever you select it in the Task Groups (F12) Naval Organizations Tab, the correct Task Force will show up in the Task Force drop down upper left corner of the Details and Special Orders area.