Author Topic: Colonization in 6.21: Where did it go wrong?  (Read 4028 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Colonization in 6.21: Where did it go wrong?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »
Also, remember you can clear civ orders by the shipping line - so since you have so many lines, clear the orders of some, at least the dump will be much smaller.

You need government-owned CS only if you don't build jump gates or you plan on using OH's. Civilians can easily handle everything else.

Offline telegraph (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 11:13:16 AM »
You said you've got 7 colonies in Sol or so.  Is there any one that could take a big load of colonists?  I mean, this is a micromanagey solution, but you could:

Turn on 1 colony (I'll say Mars, is it pretty well terraformed?) to be a destination again.  Ships all issue orders to head there and dump the population of Honduras (I looked, it's 7.5 million).  While they're headed there, you switch all your other colonies to destinations as well.  When they arrive and dump on Mars, you switch Mars back to source.  They now have 7 (6 + extra solar colony) different options for dropping off, and they'll end up pretty well staggered.

I know you'd already solved it (or, rather, it solved itself) by this post, but that'd be one way to do it.  Heck, you could even set Earth to be the Destination and get them to dump all 7.5, then switch it back, just to get things spread out.

It sounds like the only solution is to always have 2 or more destinations, at least with the size civ fleet you have.  I've run into the same, but not with the population of Honduras on ice around Earth.

let's assume that colony ships will choose every destination with equal probability (which is not entirely true as far as I know, as they tend to take shortest destination most of the time). Then to create an extraterrestrial colony of 25M they will have to relocate a population of 25M*7=175M from the source planet That is more then a half of current population of Earth, and that will definitely hurt factories.

Also, remember you can clear civ orders by the shipping line - so since you have so many lines, clear the orders of some, at least the dump will be much smaller.

You need government-owned CS only if you don't build jump gates or you plan on using OH's. Civilians can easily handle everything else.
Yes, I can, but where do all colonists go when I clear orders? I suspect they are just thrown into space. The main grievance regarding current situation is that 3M of humans died during colonization. To repeatedly "clear" them while in cryostasis would be even greater atrocity.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 11:09:24 AM »
I have figured out Luxury Liners part. They only work "as intended" between world set as "Source of Colonists".

Fixed for v6.30. Luxury Liners will now pick up from anywhere, regardless of the setting of Source, Destination or Stable.

Steve

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 09:57:02 AM »
Yes, I can, but where do all colonists go when I clear orders? I suspect they are just thrown into space. The main grievance regarding current situation is that 3M of humans died during colonization. To repeatedly "clear" them while in cryostasis would be even greater atrocity.
I've always thought they go back to the planet the ship is orbiting at that time but honestly, I've never bothered to actually double-check.