Author Topic: The Galaxy Awaits ... Choose Your Path!  (Read 104198 times)

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
Re: The Galaxy Awaits ... Choose Your Path!
« Reply #375 on: January 16, 2015, 06:44:23 PM »
STATE OF SPACE, 2085

(SNIP)

IV.  INDUSTRIAL ACTIVITY

IVA.  Earth

Research Lab(25%) -- August 2085.  The pace has slowed to less than one per year with the recent diversification and the sudden retirement of Governor Alborn.  
Mine Conversions(standard to automated, 15%) -- approx. 8/year
Mine Construction(12%) -- approx. 8/year

(SNIP)

Why not build the mines directly as auto-mines, rather then building normal mines and converting them?
Later,
Matt

Offline Bryan Swartz (OP)

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #376 on: January 16, 2015, 08:53:13 PM »
Because I was being an idiot and didn't realize what I was doing.  Basically it was a holdover from the time when Earth needed to convert standard mines to automines to move mining operations to places in Sol such as the comets where they needed to be automated.  For decades SPACE just kept building mines and then converting them since I didn't notice what was going on.  That changed in a update soon to come, if I can get around the forum problems. 

In other words, there was no good reason and you're absolutely correct. 

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #377 on: January 16, 2015, 08:56:59 PM »
Just tried posting the next update from a different computer, with the same error.  I didn't think it would work, but it was worth a try. 

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #378 on: February 02, 2015, 09:06:28 AM »
Just tried posting the next update from a different computer, with the same error.  I didn't think it would work, but it was worth a try. 

Did you try different browsers, java versions or things that could have impact too? Shame if we can't have long nice posts due to some bugs :(

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #379 on: February 04, 2015, 03:06:53 AM »
I tried two different browsers.  I don't think it's the length of the posts, it's just certain combinations of characters or something like that.  What I'm probably going to do, I've been pondering it, is just try to continue anyway and just comment briefly on anything I have to leave out.  It's far from perfect, and may not work if I get a lot of errors, but since it only has happened(so far) with the one section that seems best to me at this juncture. 

Thanks much for the suggestion. 

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #380 on: February 04, 2015, 03:32:07 AM »
Broke forum is broken, I've had no problems with it, but I haven't attempted an AAR for ages.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #381 on: February 04, 2015, 02:17:19 PM »
Edit Note(Updated):   This is the next section of the offending post, which continues the description on the previous page from some weeks ago about the Sealed Order and SPACE's restructuring. By using italics around a couple instances of the word 'from' I was able to get it to work(thanks to MarcAFK!).  This is colossally stupid, but more importantly will likely make this thread able to proceed. 

DEFINING THE PROBLEM

1.  The constant jetting around for reassigments cost significant amounts of time and fuel.  Additionally, it was also not sustainable for a future in which humanity spread to far-flung systems.  Change was inevitable, it was only a question of when.

2.  The reassignments also posed a security risk.  If a clever enemy attacked when the naval reassignments were being done, or a terrorist organization during the political ones, disaster might easily follow.  It was frankly stunning that this had not happened already and could only be chalked up to providence or incredible luck.  

3.   Most officials could be more effective with more familiarity in their tasks.  When so many change positions every 2-4 years, the kind of long-term contacts and mutual confidence between the supervisor and the supervised necessary was difficult if not impossible to achieve.

4.   Positions were handed out in many cases based on regimented rules, not logic and merit.  A key mining outpost, for example, has often been (mis?) managed by someone moving their way up the ladder who doesn't know the first thing about rudimentary automining techniques simply because they were next on the totem pole.  Similar problems existed in the military.  A new approach was needed to match candidates more intelligently with the needs of SPACE's ever-changing operations.

5.   Similar regimented rules often prevented important jobs from being filled.  The formulaic requirement of having several officers of a particular rank for each of the rank above has resulted in a lack of sufficient construction brigades because there weren't enough generals to lead them, and staff officer positions going unfilled because of no captains to man them, to use a pair of prominent examples.  

It was clearly noted that these procedures had made sense as a starting point when SPACE was founded, but had long outlived their utility.  A transition must be made to a government appropriate to the interstellar empire humankind is attempting to become.  

A RADICAL SOLUTION

The new proposed approach is a hierarchical meritocracy.  It is modeled on the wildly successful approach the R&D Directorate has taken the last few years, an approach which has rightly earned nigh-universal approval.  The public at large would still have their control of the situation, it is strongly emphasized, through election of the Director anytime the office came open.  Instead of an every-four-years mentality though, an election would only take place when the Director retired or was recalled by popular or BOG vote, either of which could unseat him/her by a 60% supermajority.

Appointments in the Navy, Army, or BOG are now considered semi-permanent.  Promotion or retirement are the primary reasons for moving from one posting to another, aside from that officials will remain in position.  Promotions happen as needed -- a new ship or ground unit, a new colony/outpost founded, a higher-ranking official retiring, etc. -- and the person appointed is based not on some abstract calculation but a vote of one's superiors.  I.e., if a new general is needed the existing generals will vote on which colonel to promote, etc.  This operates in a chain, where the colonel position vacated would then be filled as voted on by other colonels, and so on.  There will be far less flitting about, because 'lateral moves' will be virtually non-existent.  To encourage continuity, anyone who has not been in their current position 2-4 years will be unlikely to be promoted.  There are exceptions of course.  

Under the new paradigm it was proposed that R&D remain as it is, things are working well there.  The Army would remain relatively unchanged.  Colonels will be brigade commanders or prospective ones, Brigadier General for brigade commanders, Major General for division commanders(divisional HQs are not yet a thing but are being researched, so it's appropriate for plans to be made), and the highest rank of Lieutenant General is reserved for the senior commander in locations where multiple divisions are deployed.  The honorary title of General of the Army is bestowed upon the Lieutenant General in charge of ground forces on Earth.  The first is of course Anton Engelhardt, vitality still fending off retirement in his case.  All of SPACE's ground forces ultimately report to him.

The other two branches of public service are effectively split into two tracks.  In the case of BOG, the two tracks are malleable and converge significantly.  There is the mining outpost career path, for those who excel in delving deep for vital TN resources, and the colony career path, for those who are better at managing populations.  At this moment there is no place where they really merge completely.  Earth as the industrial center has special needs, and both Titan and Callisto benefit from mining and logistic skills as well as those related to financial excellence.  In general though while the mining path is less prestigious, it is not less important.  New administrators in search of a first posting will tend to stay on the path where they get their first opportunity, but as skills evolve there is a significant chance of crossover.  

The Navy would see the greatest change.  The present system of eight distinct ranks would be largely done away with, replaced with a new system of ten.  Each would generally define an officer's role and authority, not necessarily their overall skill:

Fleet Admiral -- The Navy's top officer, in present case the meteoric Mitchell Feeser.  The Fleet Admiral, in addition to being the man or woman to whom all the naval forces ultimately report, personally commands all combat assets in the Sol system.
Admiral -- Top combat commander in any major system.
Vice Admiral -- Combat commander of any expeditionary/invasion fleet or defensive combat forces in a minor system
Commodore -- Commander of a combat task group/military base; Operations officer of a combat TF; Commander of any military non-combat TF
Captain -- Commander of a combat ship; staff officer of a combat TF; operations officer of a military non-combat TF; or commander of a commercial TF
Commander -- Commander of a military non-combat ship; staff officer of a military TF; operations officer of a commercial TF
Lieutenant Commander -- Commander of a commercial ship; staff officer of a commercial ship
Lieutenant -- Pool of candidates for first command.  Most will have finished a year of training and experience as an ensign, but particularly talented officers will be fast-tracked here after six months or even in exceptional cases immediately upon graduation.  
Ensign -- Recent graduates undergoing mandatory training and experience to prepare them for the responsibilities of command.  

The two paths in the Navy are ship commander and staff officers, generally speaking.  It will probably be rare for those in the staff officer path to rise higher than Captain or transition over to the ship command wing, but it is possible if they learn the proper skills.  

BOG REACTION

There was a certain amount of hysteria, even shock from certain quarters.  Even the opponents of Awad's plan though were forced to admit the truth of the assessment that the current setup often worked against SPACE and humanity, rather than serving it as it should.  A variety of mostly spurious counterproposals were floated and had holes poked in them even more quickly.  In the end BOG and more than enough of the public came to the conclusion that it was a troubling plan except when you compared it to all the others.  The devil would always be in the details, but there was no question it was an improvement over the status quo.

The amendment passed quite easily in the end, and was put to an immediate test.  Earth was without a governor.  Typically that position passed to the second-place finisher in the election, but not under the new arrangement.  It came down to three candidates:  Burt Stonerock, Errol Igoe, and Roxann Harshberger.  Everything of industrial importance pretty much still happens on Earth, and that was the dominant consideration.  Stonerock had the best resume as an experienced governor accomplished in both shipyard and factory operations.  His age(55, in declining health) was not in his favor though, and neither was the fact that he has made no friends due to his rampaging foot-in-mouth disease.  Igoe is a shipbuilding savant but has only limited skill on the factory side, so a much more imbalanced candidate.  He was Director Awad's favorite for the job as they share similar personal styles.  Finally, there was Roxann Harshberger.  Just 38, Harshberger has been on Venus for the last four years and has an overall resume to match Stonerock's.  

Harshberger's overall body of work was considered far better for an eventual run at the Director's spot than for Earth:  she isn't very skilled in industrial matters.  Meanwhile, Russell Salvucci sided with Stonerock due their similar mentality(or lack thereof?), most of the other key players went that way as well due to candid observations that Earth really needs a strong hand on the factory side of things.  The remainder really just didn't want to rock the boat, espescially if it meant making an enemy of Salvucci.  And so it was that Burt Stonerock was appointed Governor of Earth.  

This created a hole on Luna, and it was very quickly concluded that Harshberger was perfect for the job.  She's  talented in everything the moon needs:  terraforming, population growth, and finances.  The overall package made it a no-brainer.  On it went, with the lesser positions being filled in similar manner.   The full list, as an example of how the new policy is implemented:  

Luna - Earth:  Burt Stonerock
Venus - Luna:  Roxann Harshberger
Europa - Venus:  Rufus Ke
Triton - Europa:  Augustine Wollner*
Borrelly - Triton:  Timmy Sheerin
Tempel-Tuttle - Borrelly:  Antione Fuss*  
Unemployed - Tempel-Tuttle:  Antonette Kristek

The asterisks were cases where it was more a candidates political acumen and highly-placed friends who got them the job rather than their actual management skills.  This was particularly the case with Antione Fuss -- there was no question that Ronald Waxman was a better, more experienced candidate to take over probably SPACE's most important comet mining concern, but Fuss was better at winning over the right people without doing anything provably illegal.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:25:52 PM by Bryan Swartz »

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #382 on: February 04, 2015, 02:25:13 PM »
** I think it's safe to say the annual report is dead.  I don't think I've every had half this much stuff in the 'things that happened at Earth' section.  It's a particularly busy time for SPACE right now but part of that is just what will become the 'new normal'.  Exploration should pretty much be a constant thing, colonization will bring new challenges, and even if the Navy has no battles to fight there's just going to be a little more of everything.  There have been times when it's just been the occasional bit of minor news for a few years with mostly just making sure the freighters keep running. 

SPACE is no longer in it's infancy -- she's stretching her legs.  So probably 2-3 updates a year I think is what's going to end up happening.**

January - September 2085

Fleet Admiral Mitchell Feeser was the key to keeping the peace in the early months of transition to the new arrangment.  There was some necessary upheaval in the Navy, and a fair amount of confusion about what all the new ranks meant.  Some had been effectively promoted, others demoted, by nature of the new status of their assignments.  By the end of February though, Feeser had put out most of the fires and the skill with which he did so had even previously recalcitrant BOG members calling him an equal match with former Navy chief Ellie Camble as the greatest naval officer SPACE has ever had.  That, my friends, is high praise indeed.  At 49, he is likely to lead the service for another decade or more.

** February increases in Feeser's political reliability and survey skills in short order;  his 'promotion score' is within 100 points of Camble's peak and 1000+ higher than anyone's else's has been **

March was a big month.  The new mining governors were increasing supply enough that despite an increase to a moderate level of shipyard activity, most of the stockpiles were holding steady.  Sedna added it's second complex this year which didn't hurt matters either.  The new meson turret for Frozen Vengeance was finished, and all staff officers except those in ESF Bravo which is apparently still in Sirius had been reassigned.  All the needed base and combat ship COs were already on location, so they began their new jobs and in just over two months the navy's power structure was in place.  Any major disruption now averted, the attention was turned to the rank and file.  By the middle of the month, gallicite was exhausted on Stephan-Oterma in not-so-good news and incoming Earth Governor Burt Stonerock began his duties on the 18th. 

There was shipyard news detailed in the Earth notes in early April, and then on the 9th The JPS ID 63, high-powered thruster for the Caldwell redesign, has been finished with Alejandro Otteson serving as lead researcher.  The new protocols will definitely result in a smaller number of those, but how many exactly has not yet been determined.  The new design is hammered out:

Caldwell 84i VIP Shuttle
Size:  950t
Crew:  15(14)
Speed:  3315 km/s(2210 km/s)
Fuel:  500k
Range:  40.2b km(33.4 b km)
Cost:  183k(151k)

The sensors were only one generation old as this was one of the newer nuclear pulse classes.  They were upgraded, the new ion powered thruster added, and a little more maintenance capacity added as well to make sure SPACE's most visible servants have an uninterrupted, smooth flight to wherever they are going.  Despite a 50% speed increase, the same amount of fuel will carry the new models further, giving them more than enough endurance.  Reducing the total in service will make this version's 30k price increase a much easier pill to swallow -- it should still be a much cheaper operation overall. 

KSEC will require just over a month for the retooling.  Meanwhile the last of the new engines enters testing.  By April 19 all of the Navy's military ship postings were filled, leaving only the commercial openings left to resolve.  Two days before the end of the month, that too was completed.  Just under four months and the Navy was operating as before, only a little better.  There were no holes going unfilled.  The initial division of officers by rank:

Fleet Admiral -- 1
Admiral -- 0
Vice Admiral -- 0
Commodore -- 9
Captain -- 19
Commander -- 87
Lt. Commander -- 73
Lieutenant -- 8
Ensign -- 1

Not a lot of spare parts with all the new staff officers, that's for sure.  But SPACE was confident the academies would soon rectify that situation. 

On May 2, two Frontiers are finished, ready to outfit the ESFs with the new configuration.  Two Caldwell commanders are tapped for the positions and their ships scrapped, the beginning of a process that will eventually see 20 of 32 done away with.  This will add 10 million liters of fuel to the tanks.  It will also cause a temporary stagnation in the lower ranks of the Navy, as that's twenty commanders(now 18) who will need to find new tours of duty.  Two weeks later retooling was finished and the first of the new South Carolina superfreighters and Caldwell VIP shuttles were begun.

In about the middle of June the last of two Brooklyn 81s was finished, the final ship to be built of the 'old navy'.  Yokohama Docks go silent for the time being.  Still having heard nothing from Sirius, and with ESF Bravo gone two years, an Explorer was dispatched to the system to investigate and report back on their general mission status.  This was around three times as long now as any other system has taken to survey ...

While that was still ongoing, with the Wickes refit nearing completion, SPACE engineering begins to work on the latest new design:  the Spruance 85i Colony Ship.  This was around the middle of July.  Avid SPACE historians may recall that the original Spruance-B, built in the early days of the Sol colonial rush, was constructed but never actually used.  This was because the earnestness of the civilian sector to profit from the process was not accurately anticipated. 

There are no such concerns this time around as all jump technology is highly classified.  Bringing people to a world outside of Sol will require an official transport. 

Spruance 85i Colony Ship

Size:  52.2 kt
Crew:  299
Speed:  920 km/s
Fuel:  550k
Range:  62.4b km
Cryo Storage:  150,000 colonists
Armament:  6x CIWS 79 Batteries
Cost:  2.25m

The most expensive ship SPACE has designed to date, the Spruance 85i will be capable of taking 150,000 pioneers multiple jumps away from their home if need be to colonize new worlds.  Obscene amounts of mercassium -- 1.25 mt -- will be needed for each ship, and several hundred kilotons of duranium as well.  The cryogenic storage modules, 15 of them,demand the finest tolerances and most careful construction to ensure safety.  Estimates are the first will be able to be deployed no sooner than late 2089. 

A few days later there was a bit of history as SPACE finished it's 50th research complex -- a far cry from the five they started with a little over 60 years ago.  Rounding out the month was the departure of ESF Alpha, which had been docked for about a year.  To begin it's second voyage, it headed to Teegarden's Star for a hopefully short visit to clean up Bravo's mess(the fifth planet and it's two moons were never surveyed). 

On August 12, the Explorer jumped to Sirius, and within an hour was back with the report that Sirius had been a difficult and complicated survey, but all mission indicators were still green and ESF Bravo would return in the fall with a full report.  A relief to be sure that, as many in SPACE feared the worst, Director Awad certainly among them.  The same week, five new Long Beach harvesters were finished and after a seemingly interminable run of construction the judgement was made that their are finally enough of them to stop constantly building more.  By the end of August the new Interceptor missile was ready and ordnance factories began the initial run of those to get ahead, even though the Exorcist won't be ready for production for some time yet. 

In the early hours of September 27, ESF Alpha made the jump to Teegarden's Star.   SPACE was soon occupied elsewhere, as in the final hours of the month it was announced that the first-ever terraforming installation was now ready!  Transport to Mars is arranged immediately, where nearly 80 million colonists eagerly anticipate the first TN jobs ever on the red planet -- as well as the prospect of improved living conditions, though it will likely be their children or even grandchildren who benefit most from that. 

Before it could arrive, on October 8th ESF Bravo finally returned.  The much-anticipated, long-awaited survey report on Sirius was finally here ...

COLONIAL DEVELOPMENTS

January 7  -- Sedna finishes a 41st complex. 

March 1 -- Sedna adds again, a 42nd. 

March 16 -- Gallicite exhausted on Stephan-Oterma. 

July 8 -- Boronide on Comas Sola has been exhausted. 

August 12 -- A third Sedna expansion on the year. 

PERSONNEL

January 23 -- Dante Sawatsky(DS, 31) is the latest to reach accomplished status, earning him a second lab for his work on shield regeneration rates. 

April 16 -- A single colonel is dismissed.

May 16 -- Earth governor Burt Stonerock is probably the first accomplished terraformer BOG has ever had.  Won't do him a whole lot of good in this assignment of course, but the colonies could potentially benefit from it if he ever reaches the Director's position.   

June 5 -- Rufus Ke has reached accomplished status in encouraging new population growth.  Don't ask how.  Just ... don't ask.   

June 9  -- Long-maligned Delois Woznicki improves her administration ability.  This will allow her to remain on Mercury, which was becoming a strain too great for her abilities.   

EARTH

February 20 -- The first retooling job is finished and the refit of the Wickes begins.  It may not have ever done anything useful yet, but it's the first ship to get one of the new ion drives, so that's one small piece of history. 

March 16 -- Fleet training exercises resume

April 2 -- Construction of the first of the new class of Fletchers begins.  The old ones will be scrapped, as they are so old that they really need to go and it would cost almost as much as a new ship to refit them anyway.  The current eight is far more than SPACE needs:  three will be built to start, one at a time at Vegesacker Werft. 

April 5 -- Oregon finishes retooling for the new Iowa fuel tankers.  Due to the change in the tanks, this will be a new build prospect also.  The Navy wants two in reserve for it's operations, so four regular and two XR tankers will be built this time instead of two of each.  Oregon begins adding a second slipway to support this, while the first of the standard hulls is begun. 

May 16 -- Retooling for the new Caldwell 84i and South Carolina 84i is now complete.  As feared new superfreighters will need to be built, refitting isn't a practical option.  Another four will be laid down at least, and impressively they could be finished in a little over a year.  That means an impressive amount of minerals being burned through as well, but there's little option here.   A similar story for the much-cheaper Caldwells

June 4 -- First pair of Caldwells are scrapped. 

June 11 -- Last of the Brooklyn 81s is built.  Second and last of the class.

July 1 -- Fleet HQ sends an Explorer to Sirius to investigate the length of their stay. 

July 14 -- The Wickes is finished and retooling begins for the Spruance 85i.  It will likely be close to the end of the decade before the first is in operation. 

July 17 -- A 50th research complex has been built on Earth.  That's still about 10-12 less than the optimal amount for the present scientists.  The work must continue.

July 28 -- ESF Alpha leaves for the Teegarden's Star JP.   

August 3 -- Sixth slipway completed at P&A Group SY.  It will now need to expand a bit for the Long Beach 84i. 

August 12 -- Ninth construction brigade is now in service. 

August 14 -- Long Beach(x5) finished. 

September 6 -- P&A Group has expanded to 80.9 kt for each of its slipways now and begins the process of retooling, which will basically take the rest of the year.  That's a bit long to wait so the new 10th Harvester Group heads for Saturn, only four ships as the fifth will remain so engineers can do the refit calculations when the time comes. 

September 11 -- A third and final shipment of automines leaves for Swift-Tuttle.  So far the mineral stocks are holding up surprisingly well. Duranium is down only about a kiloton, corundium and neutronium are holding steady, mercassium slowly declining but there remains a buffer. 

RESEARCH

** April 9 -- The JPS ID 63 has been finished(Alejandro Otteson

** May 18 -- Eagle 72 military engine ready(David Gruis).  For the first time in a couple of years, the power & propulsion field isn't completely occupied with prototype testing. 

** June 5 -- Irving Steinmeyer finishes the SPPI ID 105, better known as the Interceptor engine.  He's worked himself out of a job for the moment, as Elyse Buckler will take on testing the missile itself now. 

** July 4 -- Combat Drop Modules of Battalion size are now ready thanks to the work of Modesto Huch's team.  If we ever do find the homes of the alien bastards we'll likely need them. 

** August 8 -- Vertigo 72 military engine finished(Alejandro Otteson). 

** August 25 -- Interceptor 84i(Elyse Buckler) is finished. 

** September 26 -- The SPPI ID 525, aka the Exorcist engine, has finished the prototype phase with Jerry Bartholf as project lead.  This gives Elyse Buckler a chance to get back in the game for the next year-plus at least, working on the Navy's new ship-killer.  They hope.

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #383 on: February 04, 2015, 02:26:10 PM »
October - December 2085

Sirius Survey Report
ESF Bravo, October 8 2085

Survey Issues

Sirius itself was the main obstacle.  The system is huge.  It's the only system yet found where the jump point survey locations are more complex than those in Sol.  Each Frontier took nearly a full month instead of less than ten days on station in most systems for each potential location.  The pattern was huge as well.  On the outer ring it was a month and a half travel, then a month for survey, etc. 

The flotilla was also plagued by maintenance issues, far more than Alpha had in all their systems combined.  Many began to consider the system cursed.  Cmdr. Milo Rhoads, one of the Frontier COs, grew steadily worse and his junior officers had to pilot the craft back the long three-month journey from the final jump survey with him in sickbay.  He's been honorably discharged from the service, and one of the other Frontier COs is rumored to be thinking about an early retirement after this tour as well.  It just took a lot out of everybody.  Crews were at the breaking point by the time it was finished, but they got the job done in the end.

Jump Points

Prolonging the fun was the fact that it was the very last location that yielded the second and last jump point in the system.  This required a nearly three-month round trip by the Explorer while everyone waited the second half of that. 

Geological Survey

After all that work, SPACE will benefit ... not much if at all.  Sirius A I has massive quantities of inaccessible duranium and gallicite.  The most habitable planet  yet found, A II, has nothing and neither do it's moons.  There are a handful of finds in the dense asteroid field, with the only one of real significance yielding 44 kt of mercassium at 0.9.  Nice, but not worth coming here for.

Sirius-B, which orbits A at a distance of 3 billion km, was quite naturally almost completely on the other side of the Sol jump.  It has a 45-year orbital period and at least 40 of those years would have been a better time to come visit.  Go figure.  The lone gas giant is barren, which shot all hope of a major insystem fuel source.  The most habitable of it's moons, which could at least be put in the Mars/Luna range with some work, has 765 kt boronide(0.1), 9.9 mt sorium(0.1), and 2.06 mt neutronium(0.6).  That last part is the only major mineral find in the system.  This one moon is the only useful part of the Sirius-B system.

New System -- V577 Monocerri

Mid-range jump a little inside the middle ring, 1.78b away from the primary of two stars.  Average pattern size and difficulty, just over half that of Sol. 

A System:  Two fairly habitable terrestrials, the first planet already has a breathable atomosphere.  It's cold(-51 C), making it only a little easier to deal with than Luna/Mars.  With a thicker atmosphere it could probably by Earth-like. One gas giant also with a dozen moons and two dozen asteroids.  Overall pretty good.

B System:  Orbiting at a little under 600 million km, this is a very accessible system.  Two terrestrials, neither as habitable as the ones around the primary.  Main feature is a close, thick asteroid belt with over 160 objects.  Might be some interesting things in there. 

An interesting, promising system that is also really far away.  Average distance from earth is 10.1 billion, closer to 12 billion by the time you get to the planets around A.  Time for the Spruance to make a round trip would be close to 10 months. 

No wrecks, jump gates, or sensor evidence of alien presence of any kind. 

Summary/Evaluation

It sucked, and there's little reason to go back at least in the near future.  V577 Monocerri is just interesting enough to merit a closer look, but there's more interesting places closer.  Neutronium is plentiful enough on the comets of Sol for a while to make building a colony to exploit that a little ridiculous.  So far only one really good source has been found -- and that's in Epsilon Eridani.  Heh. 

There's time to find more though.  Decades of time at this point.  Eventually the extreme habitability of Sirius A-II will almost certainly see us expanding there.   It's a ten-year terraforming job for one installation with a crappy governor.   It's a dream to the right kind of pioneer.  But there's nothing beckoning us there in the short-term. 

Back in Sol, a week later on the 15th of October the terraformer on Mars officially went operational.  An important moment in history, and one worth examining more fully.  Mars has a very thin atmosphere, just 1% as thick as Earth's.  It is also cold(-48 C, actually 5 degrees warmer than Luna due to the fact that there is significant CO2 here providing a small greenhouse affect).  The biggest problem though is that the air isn't breathable, on account of their not being a hint of oxygen.  The first goal then, is to add 0.1 atm, the minimum amount of oxygen to make it breathable.  It will be far too high a concentration of oxygen at that point, requiring other gases for the right mix, but enough oxygen for human consumption. 

250k is the right amount of population needed.  The one will take over 42 years at this point at the current rate to reach the needed oxygen level.  Nevertheless, it is a beginning.  Things are underway. 

On the 27th ESF Alpha returned from Teegardens Star.  318 kt of inaccessible duranium had been found, essentially leaving that report unchanged.  Operation Renewal, the focus of SPACE's efforts since the early 60s and therefore lasting two and a half decades, was completed.  Humanity had begun to become a spacefaring people, again. 

Finishing one goal meant needing to find another.  Until the last few years we had visited eight systems and fully surveyed only our own.  We've doubled that first number now to sixteen, and have six fully explored.  There are two no-fly-zone systems, those occupied by the aliens, and another that we must enter Lalande to reach.  That leaves seven to expand our knowledge with.   

CONCLUSIONS

** Humanity is extremely fortunate to have developed it's civilization in Sol.  Had it happened somewhere like Barnard's Star we would have never reached this point.  Sol is unique so far among the systems we've found both in mineral wealth and in being a strategic nexus of multiple jumps.

** Of the five other systems we surveyed, we have found three, two, one(twice), and zero additional jump points in them.  'Hub' systems appear to be quite rare and are therefore to be considered strategically important.

** Mineral resources are not abundantly overflowing, but definitely TN materials are common, nigh-universal.  The long-term prospects for expansion and sustaining a growing interstellar empire are good -- if we can keep the aliens either at bay or not actively hostile. 

** We need survey teams up and running and we need them as soon as possible.  It is obvious there will be more work than they can possibly keep up with.  Several of them would be nice. 

** The jump gates in the Van Maanen direction are still a mystery.  Obviously they were built by somebody however, and the presence of one in the Lalande system suggests it could have been them or a similar race. who moved on.  This also bears further investigating. 

** The leading candidate by an enormous margin for our first extrasolar colony is Luyten 726-8.  It has significant resources in itself, and also provides an excellent location for supporting further exploration with an eventual refueling, shore leave, and maintenance base for the ESFs.  It is very likely that at least one of the bordering systems will give promising possibilities.

** SPACE is a very long ways off yet from having any kind of coherent colonization policy.  We'll need answers to questions we haven't even thought of yet.  At this point though it is necessary to define some things in terms of exploration.  Two major points are decided.  The first has to do with how far to explore.  It is very possible that by continuing to extend humanity's knowledge of those systems in our galactic 'neighborhood' we may come into contact with a more aggressive enemy that will attempt to chase us back to Sol and invade, but that could happen from Epsilon Eridani or Lalande at any time ignorance is not considered bliss.  It is still far better to know what is out there than not to.  A one-year limit is established, meaning the goal of the ESFs will be to explore systems that are within one year's travel from the closest refueling and maintenance base.  Right now this is Earth only, and a distance of 18.7 billion kilometers. Beyond that point, about half the mission time would be spent just traveling and the enterprise would become wasteful.  Almost all of the systems we know of right now are less than half that, so we are not yet approaching this limit.  When the refits to the new ion-powered Eagle engines are done, that distance will probably increase. Plenty of room yet for increased exploring.

The second issue was a matter of standard operating procedures for the ESFs.  For Renewal after surveying a system the flotillas jumped back into Sol and confirmed new orders from Fleet HQ before heading to the next one.  This will no longer be practical, as from now on new systems will be found at least two jumps away.  The ESFs will be out of contact for longer, and will need to operate independently of Fleet HQ.  The Commodore in charge of each will have greater responsibilities.  For each voyage/tour they will be assigned a 'route', i.e. a particular system to push beyond.  For example, Alpha's next journey will take it to the Luyten 726-8 route, during which they will be tasked with the three new systems it connects to, and the mission will be to push the frontier as far in those directions as possible before returning to Sol.  Fuel and maintenance levels will need to be watched ever more closely. 

NAVAL DEPLOYMENT

Renewal brought much-needed intelligence to the Navy, and the news was both good and bad.  An incredibly advanced alien civilization in Lalande 21185 is not good, but the other systems revealed no new civilizations and no evidence of them other than the jump gates in the Van Maanen 'route'.  Teegarden's Star is a dead-end but threats could approach from any of the other six jumps.   Intelligence has decided to take the rather unoriginal step of naming the known alien civilizations by using the AI-assigned name of the first detected ship class and then reversing the spelling.  Therefore the aliens from Epsilon Eridani will be known as the Ratamli, and those in Lalande as the Erustfiws. 

The Navy believes that blockading the jump points is the best way to defend against any potential incursion.  Once an alien force gains a foothold in Sol space, they may well be able to simply bombard our positions from distance if they outrange us which the Erustfiws would be very likely to given how advanced their technology obviously is.  As a long-term strategic matter, Frozen Vengeance is considered very important since if there is any chance of securing Epsilon Eridani with current missile technology, forces would not have to be divided between the two jumps but could be focused on the Lalande 21185 point.  If not, any effective combat fleet will have to be defensive since we won't be as fast as their ships and virtually all weapons development for the forseeable future is going to be in the energy weapons field. 

INFRASTRUCTURE NEEDS

Although the beauracrats have put it off for far too long it has become painfully obvious that the Navy is going to need a lot more large(10kt) shipyards than it currently possesses.  For Frozen Vengeance at least three will be needed(command ship, defense escort, anti-ship missile escort).  It is clear that the Navy must get a blockade of the Lalande jump point up as well, the best chance of thwarting any enemy attack is to meet them when they come in.  This would involve armed-to-the-teeth laser/meson ships at the point ready to fire as soon as anything emerged.  That's a fourth yard, and then the Baltimore/Gearing survey carrier ships will require two more.  Six. 

Presently the Navy has four.    International and Niehuis were immediately set to expand, a process that will take some years as has been discovered in the past.  That leaves only KSEC which will the handle the Caldwell shuttles and Forrestal sensor ships.  The Navy will still need a mid-range yard with 6+ kt capacity for the Tarawa colliers and Cleveland supply ships, plus a pair of small ones from the Ambassador, Prospector, Frontier, and Explorer.  The current two ordered yards weren't enough, they'd need three and really a fourth should be built against future needs. .

With the completion of Renewal it was also clear that the first need for colonization was to confirm the findings with ground survey teams.  It was proposed that the Ambassador diplomatic shuttle would double nicely for this purpose, but it would need larger fuel tanks so a new ship was designed.  With the Navy's needs for the shipyards, nothing could be done right away. 

Mine production was reduced further to accomodate.  In the process it was determined that for decades now SPACE has been building new regular mines, then converting them to automated, a process which costs an eighth more than just building automated mines directly, in both time and treaure.  An estimated three kilotons each of duranium and corundium had been wasted this way, along with countless billions of man-hours.  Stonerock did a massive double-facepalm when he discovered this idiocy, and loudly corrected it.  This sparked a new round of yelling and screaming but nothing much came of it.  Sort of like the boy who cried wolf. 

With the increasing pressure on Earth's factories Awad decided a strict prioritizing was in order.  Research labs would continue to occupy a quarter, replication(mines/factories) another quarter, with the remaining half going to whatever else was needed.  Some projects would go with minimal funding but that was just the nature of the beast.  Continually expanding research and industrial capability simply had to be a priority.  With that in place over time the capability of the 'discretionary half' would also rise.  Ordnance factory and commercial yard allocations were both reduced a fifth(10 to 8% each) to allow faster construction of the vitally needed naval shipyards.  It would still take until past the end of the decade for the recommended amount to be finished.

On November 10, the first naval shipyard, which had been almost finished, is ready for 'business'.  Named C. Mitchell & Co., here after referred to simply as the Mitchell SY, it was planned to expand immediately for the Mitchell and Cleveland classes.  After discussions with engineering it was determined a new jump drive was needed for a jump shuttle, whether to carry VIPs or geology teams.  The ones used on the Explorers were not big enough for a ship that would end up being well over a kiloton in size.  Irving Steinmeyer was tapped for a quick testing job on a new, slightly larger one-ship drive for that purpose, and the Mitchell yard expanded as initially planned. 

For the moment that meant five yards expanding at the same time, though that won't last long, a few retooling projects going on, a slipway being added, along with the eight or nine ships being built -- new workers added to shipyards all the time, and the mineral drain was fairly massive. 

As December began, a close look at the supplies for the incoming ESFs reveals that they will consume over 1300 tons of maintenance supplies when they dock, over 90% of Earth's current stockpile.  Almost all of that goes to Bravo which had all kinds of trouble in Sirius.  Nevertheless, it's one more priority that has to be added to the factory workload.  SPACE orders a strategic reserve of five thousand tons to be built up.  On the 21st, retooling is finished and engineering analyzes the costs for refitting to the new Long Beach 84i.  This time the news was better.  For a little over half the cost of a new ship the existing harvesters could be refit.  With 41 ships in service, the overall savings to the Navy is expected to exceed 32 million credits, and of course the minerals saved are an even bigger deal.  The decision was made to bring two groups in at a time, reorganizing the ten groups of four plus a spare into four groups of eight each. 

The only real question then was whether to expand from six to eight slipways or increase the size of the yard, which would eventually be needed.  It was decided the size increase was more pressing, with a goal of eventually reaching the 160-170 kt range, effectively doubling.  The effect on the refits would be minimal anyway, given that it would take three years or so to expand for two more slipways, by which time a sizable portion of the refitting will be completed.   

On Christmas Day, a nice present for the crew, ESF Alpha returns to Earth.  It was four in the morning, so that they had the day and quite a bit longer to enjoy.  It was expected that sometime in early February of next year all would be ready again for a prolonged voyage to the systems beyond Luyten 726-8.  There would be a bit of an overlap here as Bravo will probably arrive a couple weeks before Alpha departs.  They've got a longer stay ahead of them, of course.

EARTH

October 10 -- 4x Caldwell 84i finished, another four begun. 

October 27 -- The third Ticonderoga 82 base departs, in sections of course, for Mercury.  The initial run(500) of the new Interceptor missiles is completed.  For now the ordnance factories go quiet waiting for Frozen Vengeance to proceed further with more specific details.

October 29 -- The first Fletcher 84i is finished, and another begun. 

November 10 -- C. Mitchell & Co. naval SY opens. 

December 11 -- First two South Carolina 84i ships are finished.  For the most part two is all that has been needed, occasionally a third.  The Navy wants at least six, to provide more capability for colonization. 

December 26 -- Commercial SY Kaverner-Massa is christened.  It was tasked to handle the Portland and Gato classes.  The new Gatos were deemed a higher priority. 

December 28 -- The first of the new Iowa tankers is ready and heads to Callisto.

COLONIAL DEVELOPMENTS

November 5 -- Construction of the third of eight Ticonderoga 82 sensor bases, this one on Mercury is begun. 

RESEARCH

** November 23 -- Testing of the new large power plant, the GEI GCF 5400, is completed by Norris Gunterman

PERSONNEL

December 30 -- Gov. Yadira Desousa has become an accomplished terraformer, obviously a private study matter campagining for a post on Mars or Luna as he's currently on the mining outpost at Halley's Comet.

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #384 on: February 04, 2015, 02:26:51 PM »
January - June 2086

A few more construction factories have been built, but it is not coming close to the pace at which shipyard operations are currently expanding.  That trend is expected to continue for some years to come, since the Navy is just beginning to enter what will be a prolonged period of peak shipyard operation, and the lion's share of the 'industrial investment' sector of Earth's manufacturing continues to go to producing automines so that the mining haul can continue to grow.  A painfully slow process, but it continues.

Duranium and neutronium are in a slow free-fall, mercassium continues to decline every-so-slowly, but corundium has actually begun to rebound with the slower mine production.  The next mine to be targeted will not be Herschel-Rigollet as anticipated but rather Whipple.  A short-period comet, Whipple is never more than a 800 million kilometers away and has probably the best remaining untapped source of mercassium(15.9 kt at 0.7) as well as a decent stash of duranium(11.5 kt at 1.0).  Sorium, tritanium, and a bit of uridium are there as pot-sweeteners. 

The terraforming on Mars proceeds slowly, with the temperature already raised a fraction of a degree, but enough for the instruments to record it.  Oxygen is now almost 5% of the thin atmosphere. 

Many significant manufacturing goals are set to be completed late this decade or early in the next:  ordnance factories, prefabricated 82-tech bases, the 'final' shipyards currently planned for this cycle of refits and Navy expansion, etc.  For now, that makes progress on any one of them slow.  It was noticed well after it should have been that Earth is in danger of not having enough mass drivers to keep up with all the incoming packets.  This will delay matters a bit, and an emergency shift was made to increase production of them and up Earth's total to a minimum of 10(50kt capacity).  To ensure no 'accidents' took place, the inactive one of Venus was picked up as well.  Earth will attempt to maintain a full dozen to ensure 10 are always in place.   It's an issue that snuck beneath the cracks, and will require currently produced automines to get dumped on Venus just to get some decent use out of them. 

On January 17, ESF Bravo returns to Earth.  More maintenance issues on the inbound journey meant they were unable to completely refill maintenance needs but by the time they leave supplies should be more than sufficient.  More than half of Bravo's ship COs are replaced as they retire due to health issues related to the stresses of working in Sirius.  It was a very costly survey, and a reminder of the inherent dangers involved in stretching our legs, galactically speaking. 

On the 27th, ESF Alpha is cleared for operations a little early.  They break orbit and make for the Luyten 726-8 jump to survey that 'highway'.  They will leave Sol space in early April, and may well not return until late in 2090.  This is the last Earth will see of them in this decade if all goes well.  Most of the same personnel is with them as before.  The following day, Dr. Garland Sidhom, standard-bearer for the Biology & Genetics research field and one of only four active elite scientists, had decided to retire from public life at age 65.  While BG researchers are not usually of major importance, his legacy will be mostly that of advancing the effectiveness of terraforming efforts at the end of the 70s and early part of the this decade, a period that led up to the recent deployment of the first installation.  The field now falls on hard times with only a trio of novices to carry on the torch, and further advances in terraforming are expected to be very rare.  Meanwhile, humanity crosses the 2-billion barrier in total population for the first time in well over 60 years. 

February begins with the  first two groups of harvesters arriving at Earth to unload their fuel and begin the refit process.  Total reserve fuel is at about 24 million, it will be interesting to see how well it survives the disruption of the refits.  The final construction brigade exits training in the middle of the month.  The ten of them number a combined quarter-million, almost half of the Army's total personnel. 

In March some shipyard goals were met with the details noted in the appropriate appendix as always, and on April 3, 1532 GST,  ESF Alpha jumped out of Sol.  By the end of May a notable chapter in the navy's commercial operations passed as the second of the new Fletchers was finished.  The old ones will now be scrapped, a  ending a long and distinguished service of nearly four decades. 

Things had settled down to a somewhat relaxed pace, relatively speaking at least, after the first couple months of the year. 

PERSONNEL

January 9 -- Delois Woznicki(57) can now handle any assignment except for Director.  Too bad she took so long to get here. 

January 17 -- Russell Salvucci, currently posted as Mars' governor, is an accomplished financial manager now.

Mid-March -- BOG welcomes a new member, Lillie Buske.  Already capable of managing mid-sized operations, she has a variety of decent starter skills, most notably in logistics and manufacturing. 

Late April -- Brig. Gen. Sterling Silvers Jr. furthers his ambitions with another jump in political connections, accomplished now(25%). 

Early June -- Cmdr. Chance Perj records a minor increase in initiative. 

RESEARCH

January 10 -- Eagle 60 military cruising engine finished(Reynaldo Darrington).

January 29 -- John Dangel(55, LG) pushes for a strong finish to his thus-far unmemorable career by stepping up to the accomplished tier. 

February 29 -- Irving Steinmeyer finishes testing the new jump drive for the jump shuttle that will transport the geology teams.  Work will begin on it as soon as the next naval yard is finished.  The mass driver situation being what it is, that is not likely to be until next year. 

EARTH

January 17 -- ESF Bravo returns and begins it's overhaul.

January 27 -- ESF Alpha is cleared for departure on the Luyten 726-8 route. 

February 3 -- Long Beach refits begin.

February 15 -- Final Construction Brigade is finished. 

March -- ENDM has reached it's goal and is now the largest-capacity SY at Earth at over 171kt.  The new jump drives have a size limit of 169+ kt so it is ready to handle anything the new jump ship might throw at it. 

March 5 -- A second Caldwell group is finished, one more to go. 

Mid-March -- Vickers-Armstrong SY has reached its target size and begins retooling for the new Arleigh Burke. 

May 3 -- First Gato finished. 

May 26 -- The second and for now last of the new Fletcher freighters is finished

June 21 -- First shipment of automines leaves for Whipple. 

June 25 -- First of the refit harvesters heads to Saturn.

June 27 -- Research lab finished. 

COLONIAL DEVELOPMENTS

February 17 -- Luna's Ticonderoga 82 base is the second to be completed.

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #385 on: February 04, 2015, 02:27:12 PM »
I meant to post this last 'year', it's the lastest galaxy map from the completion of Operation Renewal, late 2085:

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #386 on: February 04, 2015, 02:29:26 PM »
So far so good, mostly.  I don't usually spam the thread like this -- even if it is 'my' thread -- but I wanted to see how far it would get before I hit another error.  Seems the issues are an exception rather than the rule, if this keeps up it should at least be possible for me to continue in some form.  I will have to mess around with the next post some more, as the conclusion of '86 created another problem. 

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #387 on: February 06, 2015, 01:40:52 PM »
JULY - DECEMBER 2086

A lot of small stuff happened basically.  GoA Anton Engelhardt finally retired, replaced by Gil Milstead who won out over Zoe Bean largely because she is a Mars-native.  A lot of stuff about naval refits that wouldn't post even with MarcAFK's 'italics trick'.  There were no instances of 'from' in the offending writeup so apparently there's more to that pain in the butt issue :(.  Also noteworthy was that ESF Bravo headed out for the systems beyond Van Maanen on November 7th. 

Earth

July 5 -- Second pair of South Carolinas are finished.  

Mid-July -- First of the Fletchers has been scrapped.  

July 25 -- Retooling for the Arleigh Burke is finished.  Refits begin on four of the six hulls.  

July 30 -- The final group of Caldwells is finished, and scrapping of the old ships begins.

August 9 -- 5 Long Beach refits completed.  

September -- Mitchell SY reaches the necessary size for the Cleveland, but refitting is not advised and the first of two new ships begun.  Meanwhile expansion continues to prepare for eventual work on the new Tarawa down the road.  Also Earth has reached the ten mass drivers it needs.  

September 2 -- First group of Caldwells scrapped.  

September 8 -- Oregon SY adds a second slipway, and a second Iowa 84i is begun. .

September 10 -- Second and last of the Gato small freighters is finished.  

September 14 -- Second of eight Fletchers scrapped.  

September 21 -- The second of the Iowa 84i tankers is finished.  

October 2 -- Second group of Caldwells scrapped.  

November 2 -- Four more Caldwells are scrapped.   The fuel from the scrapped ships is starting to replace that of those that have been built, and is keeping reserve levels well afloat.  

November 7 -- Another Fletcher is scrapped and ESF Bravo is cleared for departure.  They'll head out to the systems beyond Van Maanen.

Dec. 2 -- Another group of Caldwells scrapped.  Four of eight groups now.  

Dec. 8 -- First of the two new Cleveland's finished.  

Dec. 18 -- At Kvaerner Masa SY, retooling is finished and the first of the new Portland battalion transports is begun.  

Dec. 20 -- Refits finished for the first four Arleigh Burke brigade transports.  

Dec. 30 -- Long Beach refit finished.  

Personnel

Mid-July -- Promising CP researcher(Carmelo Constanza) graduates.  

August 7 -- SPACE is up to four elite scientists again.  The latest is Elwood Tousant(SF, 63) who won't have long at the top due to his age but has made an impressive late-career charge. He's presently finishing up testing on one of the new active sensors, after which he'll have his pick of projects to lead.    

October 4 -- Reynaldo Darrington(PP, 38) steps up to the accomplished tier, further strengthing the vital propulsion field.  

Research

September 27 -- Elwood Tousant's team finishes the new missile search active sensors.  He'll next work on the fire controls for the Exorcist anti-ship missile, as the sensors field is still trying to catch up with all the testing projects.  

November 17 -- Reynaldo Darrington has finished research into jump drive miniaturization.  It is now possible to do a squadron jump with a 600-ton drive, the previous minimum was over 700 tons.  

November 20 -- The Exorcist 85i missile is now ready for production(Elyse Buckler).

Colonial Developments

October 20 -- Venus begins assembly of its new Ticonderoga 82 sensor base.

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #388 on: February 06, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
** Note:  the thread is now officially caught up.  Current game date is December 1, 2087.  I plan on keeping it that way or at least close.  Sometimes it can be difficult to rip myself away from particularly interesting times in the game(the initial voyages of the ESFs were espescially this way given the literally decades of buildup to them) to format my notes into a post **

JANUARY - JUNE 2087

The year began with a bang.  Shortly after the annual celebrations of having survived another year, Director Awad announcee he would be retiring at the end of January.  It was one of those things which tended to drown out other news in the month.  A couple things in the shipyards and in colonial mining operations, ESF Bravo jumped out to Van Maanen on the third of the month, but pretty much the minds of most were on who the new rirector would be. 

Official Biography -- Director Riley Awad

Awad succeeded late in his career.  An unknown beauracrat until his mid-30s, he made his first noise in being appointed to Governor of Sedna in 2057.  Even then it was a distant but important posting.  Minor colonies and comet postings covered the next decade plus, as he was sometimes in the election field, sometimes just out of it.  Then in 2073 he finished second and got the reward of that accomplishment at the time, the governorship of Earth.  He was 49.  A tour on Luna proved to not be fortuitous, at least not health-wise.  He grew in capability steadily though and once Duling and Eighmy left the scene, he was clearly the best of those left.  His six years as Director have been generally well received, with the emphasis on diversifying the economy after the consolidations under Rakes and the controversial use of the Sealed Order to provide a major change in SPACE's continuity and official governmental structure as his most obvious legacies. 

Directorial Election:  January 30, 2087

Eight qualified, but only four made the ballot.  A small field as it's become more and more of lately.  Burt Stonerock was the most qualified, but he is also 58, in declining health which will allow him probably only a couple more years of service, and he couldn't spell 'tact'(or use the concept) if his life depended on it.  The arrogant Russell Salvucci is always popular when anti-SPACE sentiments run high, but they really don't right now.  Errol Igoe and Evelyn Kaczor have a less polished overall resume and body of work than anyone who has held the office since the days of Lena Dungey(impressive bonus points for anyone with any idea who she was).  Kaczor is the kind of straight-shooter that could make a fine director someday. 

The electorate essentially punted on this one.  Stonerock has done a good job in his time as Earth's governor, he's got a balanced set of economic skills, and while he doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut or what to say when he opens it, he is a strong leader unafraid of challenges.  He was elected in one of the most one-sided elections SPACE has ever had, a stark contrast to his narrow loss to Awad just over two years ago.  The full results:

Burt Stonerock -- 40.8%
Evelyn Kaczor -- 24.3%
Errol Igoe -- 19.0%
Russell Salvucci -- 15.9%

By making this choice, they are essentially giving the others a little longer to distinguish themselves.  Another candidate could rise as well of course, and it's also possible Stonerock's health could improve.  Salvucci is three years younger but his peak seemed to be during the New York scandal, Igoe and Kaczor a full decade more junior than the new director.  Salvucci was definitely the big loser this time around, while Kaczor showed herself a real player in finishing a distant second.   BOG then had the crucial task of choosing a new Earth governor. 

Stonerock maintans most current economic policies.  He's hawkish and aggressive by nature, intending to  accelerate Frozen Vengeance as much as possible and let the chips fall where they may.  Earth still needs a strong hand in production but logistics are also seen as important this time around with the amount of activity at the spaceport and overhauls for ships, etc.  There were several possible candidates, but one stood way apart from the rest.  The popular and now qualified Delois Woznicki had no serious rivals -- she's the only one with any logistics ability at all and is accomplished in production matters across the board, decent political connections and a good public manner -- finally the 58-year-old underachiever has hit the big time.  She's still in excellent health and should serve as an oustanding governor on our homeworld for several years.   In the areas that matter most, the Stonerock/Woznicki pairing in the top two spots in the agency really is quite a strong combination. 

Ricardo Bloise moved from Sedna to Mercury, replacing Woznicki, in a mild surprise.  Most expected Kaczor, currently on Ganymede, to get that spot.  Meanwhile Sedna is taken by Ronald Waxman, one of the finest mining administrators around.  It's a promotion he should have gotten years ago, but was passed over for political reasons. 

On February 2, the final pair of South Carolinas are finished, allowing for the old ones to now be scrapped and reducing the mineral drain significantly.  Meanwhile under Roxann Harshberger's leadership, Luna has now surpassed Mars as the most populous colony again.  The right leader, in the right spot, can make a big difference.  By the end of the month  a couple of the older Nimitzes have completed maximum readiness in their training exercises, another step in getting the Navy up to speed.  All of the sensor packages were now either finished or in testing as well. 

Lots of shipyard activity as has been the trend lately.  By the end of March the new Clevelands were finished with the second of the 84i's clearing the Mitchell SY, and an initial run of Exorcist missiles was concluded as well.  By April duranium was up a full kiloton in the two months since the South Carolina's were finished, but that also was due to reduced production on Earth with officials still being shipped around after the election.  Once Woznicki arrived things would pick up again. 

In the spring, a tenth automine and finally a mass driver departed for Whipple on April 21.  That's halfway now to the current target goal of twenty mines on the comet.  In May, there was news from Sedna.  With new administrator Ronald Waxman in place, it was announced that  duranium production had reached five figures -- over 10kt annually.  That's just insane.  Exhaustion clock is now down to under 25 years.  That's horrifying. 

On June 12 Delois Woznicki arrived on Earth, completing the transition.  Most will be faster but with Sedna in the chain of commands to be replaced it takes a while for even the new shuttles to get out to that rock.  Getting Waxman there was vital though.  The initial results are that we now have enough supply to sustain current levels(more or less).  Less than a week later the final South Carolina's were scrapped, leaving Earth with 34 million litres of fuel in the tanks -- 56 million, by far a record(low 40s was the previous high) combined when Titan and Callisto are added into the mix.  The goal is a minimum of 100 million, but it's nice to have more of a buffer than the 15-20 million commonplace for the last several years. Each of the superfreighters carried 2.15m apeice, so they were far from the only factor but a significant one. 

Rounding out the first half the year, retooling for the Spruance 85i colony ship was finished on the 29th, and the first, named the CS Forbes, is set to be finished late next year.   All that remains for colonization to be viable is the jump ship, for which the jump drive is still being researched. 

The 'ion drive era transition', or whatever you want to call it, is somewhere around the halfway point now.  Fuel and mineral levels are as healthy as they've been in years.  There is generally confidence in current leadership, and SPACE stands less absurdly ill-prepared for the future than it has in quite some time.  Of course, that means it's a prime opportunity for the other shoe to drop -- but perhaps humanity will catch a break for once. 

Earth

January 2 -- Fletcher, 4x Caldwell scrapped. 

January 3 0846 -- Bravo jumps to Van Maanen. 

February 2 -- Last pair of South Carolina superfreighters completed. 

February 4 -- Another group of Caldwells scrapped. 

February 17 -- Five  more Long Beach's finish the refit.  Five slipways idle while more return from Saturn. 

March 1 -- Another Fletcher scrapped.  Three to go. 

March 11 -- Another group of Caldwells scrapped.

Late March -- Four more harvesters begin the refit process.

March 28 -- Another class update is finished as the second Cleveland clears the Mitchell SY. 

March 30 -- Initial run of 200 Exorcist missiles finished.

April 10 -- The first two South Carolinas are scrapped. 

April 20 -- Final two Caldwells scrapped.  11 former COs still do not have new assignments. 

April 21 -- A tenth automine and finally a mass driver depart for Whipple. 

April 29 -- First of the Cleveland's is scrapped. 

May 11 -- Fletcher scrapped.  Two to go. 

May 29 -- Second of the old Cleveland supply ships scrapped.

June 11 -- Last two Arleigh Burke's are refit, and the first of the new Portlands is finished. 

June 17 -- Last two South Carolinas scrapped.  Fuel tanks hold 34m on Earth alone, a record 56m combined.  100m is the goal. 

Late June -- Third of the regular Iowas finished, first of the XR versions begun. 

June 29 -- Retooling finished for the Spruance 85i. 

Colonial Developments

January 6 -- Sedna adds a 44th CMC.  Uridium production has begun to decline now, duranium has about twice the amount though and has not yet begun that process. 

Mid-January -- Vendarite exhausted on Borrelly. 

Late January -- Sedna up to 45 now.

February 15 -- Sedna is at 46. 

February 19 -- Sedna is blowing up, 47 complexes now.  8.2kt of duranium per year, but the exhaustion clock is now under 30 years. 

March 30 -- Mercury completes it's Ticonderoga 82 sensor base. 

Personnel

Early February  -- Russell Salvucci ups factory bonus in an apparent effort to do better with the voters next time, while Commodore Hank Rohrer has increased his novice intelligence abilities.  New researcher Edna Hanzel(DS) is more notable for the fact that she immediately becomes a prime candidate for survey duty, accomplished in that task as well as the so-far useless xenology. 

Late February -- Deanna Ide is the second promising CP researcher to join the scientific ranks in as many years.

March 20 -- Fleet Admiral Mitchell Feeser has expanded his training skills to legendary status. 

April 8 -- The continuing fleet exercises have helped Commodore Ronald Dunkin become accomplished in managing fleet operations as well. 

April 16 -- One officer dismissed from the navy and army each.  It's become quite a rare thing reserved only for the most incompetent to slip through the cracks at the academies. 

May 21 -- A big year for Ronald Dunkin continues as the Commodore is now approaching the elite range in training skill. 

June 2 -- Cmdr. Chance Perj ups initiative. 

Research

February 19 -- GEI SSS 336.7, the new ship search active sensors, completed by Bessie Wallander.  All of the needed sensor prototypes are now either completed or at least in testing.

Mid-April -- Dr. Carmelo Constanza(CP), just ten months out of the academy, moves up to accomplished and takes a second lab.  There are presently 28 projects which is the lowest it's been in a long time due to a higher number of mid-level scientists right now.  Only the best novices or those needed for specific testing projects are able to get consistent work. 

May 9 -- Maintenance module research complete(Stanley Kogut). 

May 17 -- The Exorcist missile fire controls are now ready(Elwood Tousant).  He'll take over the second half of the testing phase on the fire controls for the meson turrets next.

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #389 on: February 07, 2015, 12:06:46 AM »
JULY - DECEMBER 2087

Even with the increased overall factory output, the shipyards are only moderately busy right now and mineral supplies are holding steady.  In late August, a new scientist joins that is of particularly important note.  Deacon Palmer III is the answer to many hopes and even prayers, dare I say it.  He is the first ballistic weapons researcher to arrive in the 15 years since Elyse Buckler graduated the academy.  He's also more than twice as good, good enough to merit a spot at the head of the class to get the next available laboratory complex, though he is still a novice.  He'll be watched closely, her every success celebrated regardless how minor.  Palmer III could be the one to begin moving the field of missile technology forward again.  Ironically while his grandfather was known for construction advances, he'll mostly be tasked with finding better ways of destruction.  

On the 29th, Rufus Ke retires from the moderately important position of Governor of Venus.  The 'green' pressure-cooker of a planet is just shy of surpassing Titan, both with a little under 18 million population.  As for Rufus, he steps down at age 64.  He came from nothing, spending over half his career as a paper-pusher before taking the reins at Io in 2067.  He's been on middling comets like Comas Sola and Van Biesbroeck, had a tour at Europa, and the last two years-plus on Venus have definitely been the peak of his influence.  He's become important, but not indispensable.

As the only available administrator with colony experience and the ability to manage a large endeavor such as Venus, Evelyn Kaczor, presently serving on Ganymede, was a choice that essentially made itself.  Antione Fuss used his connections to get himself another move up the ladder, taking the opening at Ganymede and leaving Borrelly where, to be honest, he was virtually useless as a mining supervisor anyway.  

A month later, in the last week of September, the massive commercial jump drive is finally finished.  It caps off Rosemary Urenda's career -- the propulsion leader retires at age 65.  Only three elite scientists now remain.  Urenda has been the face of the propulsion field for the last decade-plus after toiling behind others most of her career. A very productive and impressive career, and while the field has several solid leads behind her there are none in the elite category yet.  

With this development the new jump ship specs are decided upon by the design teams.  It is far different than the original North Carolina which served during the Epsilon Eridani crisis, but will bear the same name.  

North Carolina 87i Jump Freighter

Size:  168kt
Crew:  995
Speed:  715 km/s
Fuel:  1.5m(52.9 b km range)
Cargo:  75k
Cost: 3.82m

This ship dwarfs the Spruance for sheer cost due to the price of the jump drive mostly, which is nearly a million credits by itself and requires huge amounts of engineering space for spare parts.  ENDM begins the costly retooling process which will take a little under a year.  

COLONIZATION -- A NEW ERA DAWNS

With this development it is time for SPACE to decide how colonization will be handled.  It will be a few years before the ships are built for it of course, but other preparations need to be made by then.  Director Burt Stonerock made what many termed an arrogant series of pronouncements on the subject, but that's a misunderstanding of the man.  Arrogance is a better description of Salvucci.  Stonerock isn't arrogant -- that would imply he considers his own opinions to be better than those of others and he wouldn't lower himself to imagine other opinions relevant enough to even make such a comparison.  He's simply a leader who believes in doing what he thinks is best in any situation, political considerations be damned.  

Accordingly, these points have been laid out:

** The colonies will have the same relationship to SPACE as the ones in Sol do -- they are expected to contribute whatever resources are developed to the greater good of SPACE/humanity.  This is not expected to be a problem in the short-term, but as the population living off of Earth grows, some sociologists are concerned that a different, less heavy-handed approach will be required to maintain unity.  

** Beginning in Luyten 726-8, a 'seeding' approach will be used.  The goal is to provide a big investment at first, enough to support a million colonists in a new system and make the colony self-sufficient.  Then efforts will switch to a new system while the colony grows on its own according to the whatever the current needs are(both locally and for SPACE).  

** With the coming mineral(espescially duranium) crash, though it's still a decade or two off, Stonerock believes a mere token or minor investment is not in the best interests of SPACE.  He makes the suprisingly large commitment of setting aside a full 20% of Earth's industrial capacity to building equipment for colonization efforts.  Earth's production is to be divided into the following categories, each at a fifth of the total:

** Research
** Industrial expansion(new mines/factories for Sol)
** Military Base upgrades(when needed)
** Electives(miscellaneous, i.e. shipyards, academies, terraforming installations, whatever is deemed needed)
** Colonization equipment

Luyten 726-8 Colonization Needs

As an example of this approach, the following equipment is ordered under this 20% investment for eventual delivery to Luyten.

DSTS
Ticonderoga 82 Sensor Base with garrison btn.
10 factories
10 automines
1 Terraforming installation
6 Mass Drivers(1 for Luyten A-II(receiving), one each for Luyten A-I and each of the four comets that will be tapped)
Infastructure for 1 million colonists(2.0 colony cost, so 400 tons)
6 administrators
A new commercial TF(one captain, one commander, four Lt. Cmdrs.)
50 tons of each TN mineral for startup operations

It is obvious that, particularly in the realm of political administration, the pool of available leaders will need to be expanded.  It is expected that the above requirements will be able to be delivered to Luyten by the mid-90s, at which time a new system will be chosen for investment.  If this pace(roughly) continues and SPACE is able to add a new system every 6-8 years as is hoped, the current four academies will be woefully inadequate to supply enough bodies for all the needed positions.  Two more academies will be built as an initial first step in alleviating this crunch.  The jump shuttles and geoteams for them are top priority right now, as it continues to be SPACE's policy not to deploy mines anywhere that surveys are not complete.  The sooner that is finished, the sooner production can begin.  

Luyten 726-8 A-II, the world where the new colonists will live and work aside from the automine leaders, has been named New Genesis in honor of it being the first world to be populated outside of Sol -- IF everything goes according to plan.  As we know, it often doesn't.  

With these changes in place, Earth's factories are now running a record 15 different activities, and that's with some(DSTS, mines, factories, terraforming) doing combined work both for Earth/Sol and the colonization efforts.  Jump gates are a matter of some contention.  It is decided they should be built to any system with a population of 25 million or more, with the additional requirement that they must have all adjacent systems surveyed with no evidence of present alien activity.  This obviously isn't the case in Sol, but that's declared to be an obvious exception since (a) it's defended by the navy and (b) any invasion of Sol will either result in the aliens defeat or humanity's defeat.  The Navy will not beccommitted to defending outlying systems in the same way.  DSTS and Forrestal sensor buoys will be early priorities for developing systems.  All of that brings us to the latest design:

Nautilus-class Jump Gate Construction Ship
Size:  65.5kt
Crew:  270
Speed:  732 km/s
Fuel:  550k(49.7b km range)
Jump Gate:  Construction in six months
Cost 1.81m

Some very expensive ships coming out of engineering lately.  Apparently a subway token isn't enough to get this colonization business going.  Vegesacker Werft SY, which handles the Fletcher freighters and is currently idle, is chosen to expand to the needed size.  

October brought a return to the more 'mundane'.  Mitchell SY  reached 6.54kt capacity, a little more than needed for the new Tarawas.  Retooling for them last a few months.  Most of the SDF has finished training, with only three ships still needing additional work.  On the 2nd of the month, four more Long Beach's head to Saturn after their refits.  That's 19 of 41 finished, nearing the halfway point.  Later in the month, Portland refits are finished.  The old Portland II's will now be scrapped.  Originally deployed from historic Vickers-Armstrong SY in January of 2053, they have enjoyed a fine tour of service lasting nearly 35 years.  

By mid-November, Sedna had built multiple additional complexes, bringing the total to 51 and an astonishing seven built just this year!  Also a new civilian firm Elman Freight Services is formed.  That's 14 now technically, though less than half are relevant.  

Another bullet to R&D was fired on November 26.  Having completed the testing on the new Sniper fire controls, Elwood Tousant retires at 64. He was a slow starter but a major contributor at the end of his career, and in one of the most vital fields of study.  With Frozen Vengeance testing almost finished and new long-term projects next on the agenda, it's time for others to carry on the torch.   This leaves SPACE with just two elite scientists(Kuchler in the SF field, Lambeth in LG).  

The year finished in dramatic and cliffhanging fashion, with the final needed testing done on the new thermal sensors.   This meant engineering would be busy over the new year transition hammering together designs for new ships that will attempt to give wings -- err, engines --  to our collective desires for retribution ...

Earth

July 5 -- Research lab finished.  

July 8 -- Fletcher scrapped, final one started.  

July 10 -- Final standard Iowa tanker finished, last/second of the XR's begun.  

July 28 -- Another Long Beach refit is finished.  

August 26 -- The original Fletcher is officially no more after the last of the ships is scrapped.  

October -- Mitchell SY begins retooling for the new Tarawas

October 2 -- Four more Long Beach refit.      

October 5 -- 20th harvester refit completed.  

October 24 -- The second Portland 84i is finished and the battalion transport upgrades are now finished.  

November 28 -- First of the Portland II's scrapped.  

Personnel

October 21 -- Venus gov. Evelyn Kaczor continues her gradual rise through the ranks of BOG by increasing her connections marginally.  

November 6 -- Col. Elaine Menna graduates the academy, complete with genius-level ground combat command abilities.  Pretty neutral mental outlook although she is prone to complacency.  

November 7 -- Commodore Parker Lanzi increases fledgling operations skill.

Colonial Developments

August 8 -- Sedna up to 48 CMCs.  That's five this year which I think is a record.  If this keeps up it could be gone in 15 years, but we'll be able to stockpile a considerable amount of duranium in the interim.  

Mid-November -- Sedna expands for a sixth time this year, which I know is a record.  49 CMCs.  Purchases are approaching 12 million credits a year, and still rising.  Only research is a higher line item in the budget, and not by much.  

November 17th -- A 50th(seven this year!) complex on Sedna.

November 21 -- Callisto begins work on their new Ticonderoga 82 sensor base.  It's scheduled for completion a year from next Christmas, though nobody really expects it to be finished by then.  

Research

** September 27 -- The AKH CJ-90.4, the new massive commercial jump drive, is finally finished by Rosemary Urenda's team.  She retires and Deacon Palmer III takes a lab for work on improving the output of ordnance factories.  A little construction, rather than destruction, task to begin with despite his chosen field.  

** September 29 -- Carl Fosberg finishes testing the Interceptor missile fire controls.  

** November 19th -- The latest SITG Emdar version(military EM sensors) have been tested with Ross Dodge completing the work.  

** November 26 -- New Sniper fire controls for the meson turrets are completed(Elwood Tousant).  

** December 30 -- Bessie Wallander's team finishes the new thermal sensors(SITG ThermoScan 176.7).