Author Topic: Trouble Designing Basic Troop Transports: What Am I Doing Wrong?  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Hyena

• Leading Rate
  • H
Re: Trouble Designing Basic Troop Transports: What Am I Doing Wrong?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 02:20:24 PM »
Quote from: alex_brunius link=topic=6486.   msg67344#msg67344 date=1385727397
I'm using the averages here. . .   

Take a look at the list of vehicles here and divide the number of vehicles on the around 15 US divisions fielded:
hxxp: en. wikipedia. org/wiki/List_of_currently_active_United_States_military_land_vehicles

Trying to average the number of Abrams tanks in the entire US military is not going to tell you how many tanks are in a heavy armored division, because the heavy armored divisions are not the only divisions that use them. The marines also use them. Infantry divisions use them as well, just in fewer numbers. If you look at the actual heavy armored divisions, they use between 100 and 250.   

Please don't claim I am wrong when it's clear you didn't even bother to check the numbers for your own claim yourself.   

A single prime mover (truck) would take up a volume of 2. 5*5*25 = 312. 5m^3 volume or 110 tonnage (GRT) volume. That's far more then its empty weight in tons. Is it less for a tank? Yes around half volume GRT, but most vehicles are not tanks and would be about equal in GRT and tons being somewhere between a tank and a truck in density.   

It doesn't matter if you use volume or weight, a modern mechanized division will take up loads of both to move.   

I did check. I checked your numbers on the tanks and they were pretty obviously using weight instead of tonnage. The rest didn't matter for reasons I got to later.   

Also I am not sure what truck dimensions you are using, but the US army's most common transport is the M35 which has dimensions of 2. 4m*2. 8m*7. 0m, which is only 10. 979 Gross Tonnage (from 47. 04m^3). You chose to use GRT, which is awkward because a) it is extremely complicated to determine the fill space of a truck, and b) it's not really used anymore. I doubt very much Steve is using GRT for his tonnage scales. I ran through the formula for a truck of the size you described, just for the sake of it, and you're looking at 76. 5 GT. Which is still significant, except that the truck itself is comprised mostly of storage space and would themselves likely be carrying the majority - if not all - of the supplies required by the division. Ie, they would not unload the trucks.   

Just for the record, I checked the GT of an Abrams tank and it's only 17. 6. I used the hull dimensions (rounded up) because the gun doesn't prevent the tanks from lining up (the gun can occupy the space of the tank in front of it, so only the hulls actually determine tonnage). So yeah, not that much.   

Your failing to account for that to carry stuff you need a container around it and an ability to drive it on-off like ramps and some clearance.   
To carry heavy stuff in space you need really heavy containers and heavy duty ramps.   
Also we have not even started on how much crew accommodation space 15'000 soldiers in aurora would need, we are talking about transporting them for months here, aurora even displays how many ton per man you need.   

I am not neglecting those things. I by no means feel that the tonnage represented should be accounted for ton by ton. Half of the module tonnage, however, is a silly amount to set aside for things other than cargo capacity. Fortunately, as I said, this turned out to not be the case.   

We also only talked about the weight/volume of vehicles, nothing about weight/volume of supplies (for months) and ammo (which a normal artillery piece can consume tons of in a single day of combat).   

The majority of which can occupy the same tonnage as the cargo trucks. So while they would technically increase the weight, in terms of space required (which is what tonnage is), it's a non-issue.   

Ok, then I am going to argue that the size of a low tech tank division is certainly far too low.   
For infantry without much vehicle or heavy gun support those numbers might work.   

It might be low if Steve is using GRT. I doubt he is, because it would be impossible to calculate for everything, he'd just be making up numbers. GRT is not widely used and is best at determining the space occupied by grain and other materials which 'fill' an area. The GRT of a ship for purposes of transporting grain is different from the GRT of a ship for purpose of transporting crates, for example.    In this case, the GRT for transporting people, trucks, tanks, crate cargo, are all different, so which one is Steve using? He's probably not using GRT at all. At least with GT you can get a consistent measure. In either case, though, go for it. I think you're wrong, though.   

Quote from: Rolepgeek link=topic=6486. msg67355#msg67355 date=1385749437
Can we not forget that A. Tonnage in this does not necessarily correspond to actual weight or volume, since it affects the speed, but it also affects the size of shipyard necessary, and it isn't seperate measurements? B. That a good deal of that tonnage is going to support personnel, integration with the rest of the ship, infrastructure within the module itself, etc. ? And C. If I remember correctly, Aurora Brigades are supposedly 500 men, but it's also really fancy and high-tech equipment like, presumably, power armor and things of that nature. Meaning it's barely 5 tons per man, and for their support personnel, equipment, and vehicles.   

What do you mean by 'tonnage in this?'

Tonnage is what it is. In real life ships and trucks are impacted by the weight of their cargo as well, it just has nothing to do with tonnage. Tonnage tells you how much 'stuff' you can fit into a volume of cargo space. The mass of the cargo doesn't impact that at all. It does impact speed, but that's irrelevant to whether or not a lot of trucks and vehicles will fit into a space.   

As for B, I agree. Some amount of the tonnage the module occupies would need to be dedicated to life support and other systems. But I can't imagine someone designing a module where half of the module was trying to keep the other half alive. That would be wildly inefficient. But as I noted, that isn't the case, so it's moot point.   

As for C, I also agree. Though I am not sure we agree on the implication. More advanced technology would generally lead to fewer vehicles, smaller/lighter arms, and less gear in general. For example, since the development of MANPADs (shoulder-mounted AA), AA vehicles have played a smaller and smaller role in the military. AA vehicle numbers have declined substantially because a smaller, more efficient, less vulnerable option is available on the front lines. More advanced man-portable gear means fewer vehicles needed to fill that role, and far less tonnage needed to transport them. I think that becomes especially true when you are talking about transporting marines around in space ships, where vehicles may not be practical.   

That said, I am not sure what Steve means by 'low tech infantry' in Aurora. Whether that is essentially modern (contemporary) military technology, or something more advanced but pre-TN technology.   
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:26:31 PM by Hyena »

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 02:45:59 PM »
Chill out guys, this isn't really all that necessary. I think you might be arguing over minutiae that have very, very little to do with the game any more. Don't move low-tech units around and you'll be fine - a 10-battalion transport is a little smaller than a standard 25,000t freighter, and only slightly more expensive to build.  Also, low-tech units are terrible at everything anyway - they are to real ground units what  ICBM bases are to a TN missile frigate.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 07:07:11 PM »
My point was that it does not matter if you use volume (regardless of what tonnage measure) or weight in tons, because as I think I have proven by now a modern division is not something easilly transported regardless, especially the armored ones.

"Trying to average the number of Abrams tanks in the entire US military is not going to tell you how many tanks are in a heavy armored division, because the heavy armored divisions are not the only divisions that use them. The marines also use them. Infantry divisions use them as well, just in fewer numbers. If you look at the actual heavy armored divisions, they use between 100 and 250."

I am also a big fan of your math here Hyena, If your "heavy armor" divisions have less then the number of tanks averaged then this can logically only mean two things:
A. The majority of tanks are not in use in any division, or
B. Lighter divisions have more tanks then your "heavy armor" divisions have.

As an interesting point I can also say that there never have been (and probably never will be) something called a heavy armor division by any nation that I know of.

Offline Hyena

• Leading Rate
  • H
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 07:53:09 PM »
My point was that it does not matter if you use volume (regardless of what tonnage measure) or weight in tons, because as I think I have proven by now a modern division is not something easilly transported regardless, especially the armored ones.

Your definition of 'proof' seems to be rather different from mine. And nobody said that it was 'easy' to move a military division. You just seem to have some misconceptions about what tonnage actually is. Which is fine, most people don't have to worry about tonnage as a concept and it looks at a glance like it is related to short tons or metric tons, when it is in fact not.

"Trying to average the number of Abrams tanks in the entire US military is not going to tell you how many tanks are in a heavy armored division, because the heavy armored divisions are not the only divisions that use them. The marines also use them. Infantry divisions use them as well, just in fewer numbers. If you look at the actual heavy armored divisions, they use between 100 and 250."

I am also a big fan of your math here Hyena, If your "heavy armor" divisions have less then the number of tanks averaged then this can logically only mean two things:
A. The majority of tanks are not in use in any division, or
B. Lighter divisions have more tanks then your "heavy armor" divisions have.

Don't be obtuse. The point was that if you look at the number of tanks in the entire US military (as was listed at your wiki link), and then divide that into the US armor divisions, you will get an artificially high average. You would be taking all of the tanks in every other division that uses them (marines, infantry) and 'giving' them to the armor divisions and inflating their numbers. Math.

Though at this point I am skeptical that you actually averaged anything, I think when you said 'average' you meant 'guess.'

As an interesting point I can also say that there never have been (and probably never will be) something called a heavy armor division by any nation that I know of.

You are right, they are just armor divisions. See how easy it is to admit you were wrong about something without getting snarky and combative?

Anyway, Narmio is right, this is a pointless discussion since the entire reason the subject was brought up was due to some faulty numbers. I'm quite happy with the numbers as they are. I just think the game could do a better job relaying the information necessary to transport ground units.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 08:03:18 PM by Hyena »

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 05:44:48 AM »
You just seem to have some misconceptions about what tonnage actually is. Which is fine, most people don't have to worry about tonnage as a concept and it looks at a glance like it is related to short tons or metric tons, when it is in fact not.

Not really. I understand that ton/tonnage can be anything from a short ton of 907kg, up towards a GRT volume of 2.832 m3. When speaking of freight ton or displacement tonnage volumes you are closer to 1m3 though.

Even if it was not apparent in my posts, I have run these numbers before and come to the conclusion that with the amount of other uncertainty and speculation that is automatically involved in any debate such as this, it actually does not really matter much which one you use.

Especially so here in Aurora since the volume is irrelevant for all other purpose except armor calculations (which makes it irrelevant for most freight and transport ships), and we can be fairly sure that ton refers to weight/mass of the ships.

For weight/mass you have a maximum uncertainty of 10%, and for volume it is a bit bigger at up to 2.8 times if you use things like GRT freight volumes. For military equipment you also end up close enough for them to even be interchangeable weight/mass <-> volume. Tanks will have a bit higher density and Humvee/trucks lower (even if the truck is fully loaded with 5-10tons cargo), but the end result is close enough to ensure we don't end up even one factor wrong.

It will not be possible to get anywhere close to this good accuracy on how much the total weight or volume of a military division is anyways. For example it would be easy to argue that the US armed forces has 1110k active personnel (navy excluded) and that with 15 active divisions each such division has a divisional slice of 74'000 men that actually needs to be transported!

And as already pointed out we don't know what a "low-tech" division actually is, but we can probably also assume that they have a whole lot of extra equipment needed to operate in a no-atmosphere environment aswell since they are capable of that in Aurora!

Don't be obtuse. The point was that if you look at the number of tanks in the entire US military (as was listed at your wiki link), and then divide that into the US armor divisions, you will get an artificially high average. You would be taking all of the tanks in every other division that uses them (marines, infantry) and 'giving' them to the armor divisions and inflating their numbers. Math.

No I was listing all US divisions, including infantry and marine divisions in the count of 15. So that is where this misunderstanding was.

Though at this point I am skeptical that you actually averaged anything, I think when you said 'average' you meant 'guess.'

6,344 M1 Abrams MBT / 15 total divisions of all types = roughly 422 M1 per division (rounded to 400).

You are right, they are just armor divisions. See how easy it is to admit you were wrong about something without getting snarky and combative?

Sorry, the trigger was your comment on that these numbers are "ridiculous." when in fact they are quite reasonable for a modern mechanized division.

Perhaps we just use different language here since you seem to think 50 is OK but 125 was ridiculous. In interpret the wording ridiculous as something like factor 1000 wrong, not factor 2.5 :)

Anyway, Narmio is right, this is a pointless discussion since the entire reason the subject was brought up was due to some faulty numbers. I'm quite happy with the numbers as they are. I just think the game could do a better job relaying the information necessary to transport ground units.

This I think we can agree on :)  
(with the caveat that I think armored or assault/heavy divisions should require significantly more transport capacity compared to say garrisons or infantry)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:34:08 PM by alex_brunius »

Offline Ghidorah

• Leading Rate
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 06:40:31 AM »
I'm glad that the verbal (typed actually) sparring match is winding down.        This part of the game is just a bit silly for me in the first place.         Lets go back to the M1 Abrams MBT, which I got a great view of when it was being tested at Ft Hood (yes, I am that old).         Just imagine that vehicle going anywhere on the Moon or Mars or Venus?  No oxygen for the crew or motor, No Problem.          A world with no Atmospheric pressure or a 90 Earth Atmospheric pressure world, No Problem.     -250 to 850 degree (F) heat, still No Problem.       Old conventional Infantry and Armor in my gamed universe just stay home.         To be phased out when enough true space-worthy troops have come into play.       

P. S.       - I had a brother in law that did Fuel convoys in the first Gulf War.         Logistics - Food and Fuel are crazy for a Battalion sized unit, Imagine just how many tankers it takes to keep an ACTIVE division going for a month.         At least on earth they didn't have to bring their own Oxygen with them, eh?

And Gwyn ad Nud's question got answered, so that is a good thing.   

And Hyena got over the 10 Post hurdle, so that is cool too!  
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:51:51 AM by Ghidorah »
I weary of the chasssse.  Wait for me.  I will be mercccciful and quick.

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 01:20:57 PM »

The wiki also says 50.  I am getting the impression that the size lists in this thread are the result of bad math.  The 125 size was what I had an issue with.  50 I can deal with, but this thread has some very wonky information.

The wiki is correct.