Author Topic: Building by committee  (Read 6201 times)

Offline Theodidactus (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Building by committee
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2014, 09:28:39 AM »
I think with 50 years of maintenance life it's alright.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 10:06:40 AM »
Do I read right that you want to destroy it in place and then send a new one? Or you don't worry about the life time of the station as a whole, because you don't intend to play this game so long anymore?

Otherwise, maintenance life does not mean anything when it comes to 5-day failure rate. Your ship could just be so big that it will fail every turn anyway, or maybe you just have so small components (!) that a break does not consume so much maintenance, and thus will work for long. IFR is the most critical part to look for, but even if you could keep it lower than 1% (which is impossible on larger ships), it does not matter if you intend to tractor a ship on the end of its life cycle, because then the IFR will likely be over 100% in any case, thus rendering it immobile.

An example: I am currently testing two identical hangar design which have 4% IFR after clock 0.35, and already the tractor link breaks around every 10 5-day increments per model, which makes it really bothersome to fly them around. Just think how those will work after clock 10+...
I think at some size over over 10k or so, the only feasible 'military tug' would be a hangar ship with great range and maintenance life.
..Except for deployment, because there is this free time span before any ship starts making problems. Yet permanent tug without pause, or 'rescue tug' operations become impossible quickly.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:21:06 AM by Vandermeer »
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 09:13:46 PM »
Four hanger modules have been constructed. Two are in place in groombridge.

Code: [Select]
Knossos Starbase: Hanger Module class Space Station 50000 tons     915 Crew     5651.0801 BP      TCS 1000  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 5-120     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control 61     PPV 0
Annual Failure Rate: 316%    IFR: 4.4%    Maintenance Capacity 4309 MSP
Parasite Capacity 40000 tons     Magazine 180   Flight Crew Berths 17   

Fuel Capacity 200 000 Litres    Range 0.0 billion km   (0 days at full power)

House Norman Navsat Dish (1)     Sensitivity 1.4     Detect Strength 1000: 1.4m km
This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 10:24:02 PM »
Dat annual failure rate though.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 10:35:33 PM »
hey man when the tiny navsat dish fails, my men can fix it.