Author Topic: Newbie Question #5 "Missiles and how to load/launch/use them"  (Read 6099 times)

Offline voteslave (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • v
Re: Newbie Question #5 "Missiles and how to load/launch/use them"
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 05:51:00 AM »

EDIT : i've been an idiot and you can ignore all this - see reply #15 for details of the stupidity :(

Do you have maintenance facilities on the planet? You need them to reload box launchers from planet missile stock. And of course you need to have those missiles on the planet. It will also take some time to reload them.

hi Black

The ships are orbiting earth and are 4,500tons and hold 50 missiles.  Earth has a maintenance facility max ship size of 10,000 tones.  I have 221 missiles in stock.

I have been into the class design screen and changed the preferred magazine loadout to size 10 (it was previously 7).  The load ships button is greyed out.  It says Capacity Required 50  / Capacity Available 0  ???????  this seems odd as you can see from above i have 221 in stock

When i built the ships the default loadout was 7x Size 5 ASM and the Mg Capacity used showed 35/50 (the new design of ships had 10 box launchers instead of 7)

In the ordnance Management screen it shows 10 box launchers with size 5 ASM assigned

If i try and load anymore (above the 7 that are already loaded i get a message "does not have sufficient magazine capacity to take even one of this type of ordnance"

I'm pretty sure i am missing something blindingly obvious here but for the life of me can't see it.

thanks for your help
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:10:59 AM by voteslave »

Offline voteslave (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • v
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 06:08:29 AM »
APOLOGIES ALL
i am an idiot (and indeed missed the blindingly obvious)

i had assumed that messing with all the screens i mentioned that the missiles would be loaded AND FORGOT TO ORDER THE TG TO "LOAD ORDNANCE"    DOH!!!!

On a related note though how do you load PDCs as they "load ordnance" order isn't available?  I'm assuming here the PDC can load form planet supplies and because i didn't design it with any missile storeage - if that is even a thing - if it it what do i need to store missiles in a PDC?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 06:31:48 AM »
You can manualy load missiles:

Otherwise you have to manual load your ships other the Ships Screen, Ordnance Management Tab.

Or if your PDC has normal missile launchers, then you can use normal magazines.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:33:59 AM by Black »

Offline voteslave (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • v
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 06:46:52 AM »
You can manualy load missiles:

Or if your PDC has normal missile launchers, then you can use normal magazines.

my original PDC had missile launchers but no magazines but it still came with a "free magazine" the same size as the the 10 size 5 missile launchers i.e. 50 - so i think the answer to my questions about magazines in PDCs is that you don't need them

but i still don't know how to load the missiles onto the PDC as the ordnance management tab doesn't list any missiles to actually be able to load and/or assign them - am confused (as with a ship you just give them load ordnance orders from the TG screen but you can't do this for a PDC)

thanks for your patience

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 07:04:40 AM »
Those "free magazines" are missile launchers and it represents the fact that they have one missile preloaded inside.

I actually never used my PDCs in combat so I am not sure, but I believe than manual reload (in Ship Screen Window) should work the same way as for the ships. Unfortunately I dont have Aurora on this PC so I cannot check to be sure.

I use PDCs with normal magazines so in case they have to engage target I dont have to manually reload them after each salvo. PDC launchers have faster reload rates so it would be quite time consuming.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 07:18:34 AM »
On the pdc's ordnance management tab there's 3 windows, one shows the PDCs magazine contents, the middle by default shows magazine contents of the selected ships "mothership" but you can change this to "population" which shows the planets stockpile, you can also see what's in other ships in the same task group. To transfer from the population just select population then double click on a missile on either window to transfer either way. There is a button to change how many missiles are transferred, x1 x10 x100 or x1000
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline voteslave (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • v
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 07:24:15 AM »
On the pdc's ordnance management tab there's 3 windows, one shows the PDCs magazine contents, the middle by default shows magazine contents of the selected ships "mothership" but you can change this to "population" which shows the planets stockpile, you can also see what's in other ships in the same task group. To transfer from the population just select population then double click on a missile on either window to transfer either way. There is a button to change how many missiles are transferred, x1 x10 x100 or x1000

Thankyou - got it - i would never have found that