Author Topic: Capital Ship design  (Read 4791 times)

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
Re: Capital Ship design
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 01:17:30 AM »
I dont care what its purpose is.. The fact remains that it is terribly inefficient design.
One corvette ( one tenth its size and 3!!! Tech levels older ) can completely neutralize its supposed "long range bombardment ability". It has waaay to few launchers, its missiles should have at least ten times that speed, it has all the unnecessary bells and whistles like buoys, drones, hangars, boarding craft etc. And for a bombardment missiles those warheads aren't impressive.

That much more advanced ship ( both in terms of tonnage and tech ) should be capable of killing some basic tier one ships without breaking a sweat. Of course unless its a dedicated troop carrier or fighter transport barge or something like that which this ship isn't.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
Re: Capital Ship design
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2016, 05:10:47 AM »
Capital ships should have tractors.  A capital ship, almost by definition, should be able to survive several rounds of fire, but you may also wish to have a damaged capital ship withdraw so its shields can regenerate.  A squadron of capital ships with tractors can tow damaged ships to keep up the squadron speed, or help keep the damaged ships out of range while they repair.

Being able to tow orbital bases or terraforming installations or even small shipyards gives extra utility to the capital ship for a small loss of capability.