Author Topic: Terraforming Mars and Luna  (Read 3466 times)

Offline Kaiser (OP)

• Commander
  • K
Terraforming Mars and Luna
« on: May 10, 2020, 11:43:41 AM »
Hi ppl, I need some help with the terrafoming mechanics.

Regarding Luna, breathable atmosphere is still a problem. The oxygen pressure should be between 0.1 and 0.3 with a 30% max of the total? It seems that I went a little far (55%), what am I supposed to do now to correct it?

Regarding Mars instead, the hydrographic extent still need 10 points right? And also the oxygen need to be adjusted in terms of pressure, right?

Thank you

Offline consiefe

• Lieutenant
  • c
Re: Terraforming Mars and Luna
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 11:47:35 AM »
You can uncheck the add gas checkbox and still leave the gas you want to remove in the dropdown menu.

Edit: Yes hydro extend worked for me around 20ish. You can follow it from the enviroment screen as when it's enough it's cost would be zero. Oxy pressure needs to be not more than 30 I think but you can always do trial and error.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:50:22 AM by consiefe »

The following users thanked this post: Kaiser

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • 2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Supporter of the forum for 2024
    2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter :
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Supporter of the forum in 2023
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter :
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 11:53:05 AM »
You can always add more Nitrogen to get oxygen bellow 30% of atmosphere. You need less than 30% but you still need at least 0.1 atm of oxygen to get breathable atmosphere.

My lunar atmosphere is 0.3atm of Nitrogen, 0.1atm of oxygen and 0.15 atm of Aestusium (you can go with less of this one). To get at least 20% water coverage just add Water Vapor to the atmosphere, it condense on the surface over time.

Edit: Both Luna and Mars in yous screen shots still need more Oxygen, you need at least 0.1 atm for normal humans. Dilute the atmosphere with Nitroget to get under 30% of content.

Edit2: Luna in my game:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:57:55 AM by Black »

Offline Noriad

• Petty Officer
  • N
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 01:29:15 PM »
You need at least 0.1 atm oxygen, which is at most 30% of atmosphere.

So at minimum you need 0.1 atm oxygen plus 0.24 atm (or more) other gas. If the temperature is about right, use nitrogen, if too cold use Aestusium (greenhouse), if too warm use Frigusium (anti-greenhouse).

Greenhouse factor = 1 + (greenhouse gas pressure) - (anti-greenhouse gas pressure) + (0.1 * (regular gas pressure))
Surface temperature = Base temperature(Kelvin) * Greenhouse factor * albedo factor
(with these formulas you can calculate how much greenhouse/antigreenhouse gas you need to get the desired temperature)

Note that in Aurora 4x, water vapor is a "regular" gas, unlike real life, where water vapor is a greenhouse gas.

Note that albedo factor (sunlight absorption/reflection factor) is affected by frozen water. If surface water is frozen it lowers the temperature a bit, and consequently, if it melts, temperature will rise a bit. On Mars, you get a few degrees rise once you melt its 10% ice cap.

To get enough water, you need at least 20% surface coverage. For this you need to add 0.5 bar water vapor which will rain down at a rate of 0.1 bar/year, which means 5 years. Note that it starts raining down immediately, so if you set it to 0.5 bar you will add too much, the amount depends on how much rains down before you reach 0.5. But some water vapor will stay in the atmosphere so you do need a bit more anyway.