Author Topic: noob request  (Read 9935 times)

Offline Thibaut

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
Re: noob request
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011, 02:02:36 PM »
and don't forget mercassium for research labs

Offline Thibaut

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »
geologists ... hhmm what are they good for ?

22nd December 2072 09:59:26,Lacaille 8760,New deposits of Corundium have been found on Lacaille 8760-A II by the David Bolton Geology Team, The total amount available has increased from 1.502338E+07 to 15123376 tons.
22nd December 2072 09:59:26,Lacaille 8760,A new geological survey has increased the accessbility of Corundium on Lacaille 8760-A II from 0.1 to 0.9

Got to love THAT !

Offline Echo35

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
Quote from: Thibaut link=topic=3924. msg38450#msg38450 date=1313610362
geologists . . .  hhmm what are they good for ?

22nd December 2072 09:59:26,Lacaille 8760,New deposits of Corundium have been found on Lacaille 8760-A II by the David Bolton Geology Team, The total amount available has increased from 1. 502338E+07 to 15123376 tons.
22nd December 2072 09:59:26,Lacaille 8760,A new geological survey has increased the accessbility of Corundium on Lacaille 8760-A II from 0. 1 to 0. 9

Got to love THAT !

:o
". . . and that is why Sir Issac Newton is the deadliest son of a b*#ch in space!"

Offline Klapaucius87

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2011, 03:14:06 PM »
Quote from: orfeusz link=topic=3924. msg38443#msg38443 date=1313604652
As for my next dilemma, i want to secure some jump points but from what i readied about mines they are not good enough for me :D What do You think for dedicated, short range, slow ship? I would place 2-3 20k ships near jump point and wait.  Thanks to that it would not shoot all missiles after one unit come through.  And i could decide to what target fire first.  I want to know Yours opinions  :)

This is really based on how u like to play the game.  On my opinion:

If u aim on keeping those ships ON the jump point than some plasma carronade are great for that job.
High caliber lasers will be effective too.
Missiles in that case are a waste.

If u aim on keeping those NEAR the JP (orbiting a near asteroid for example) than most thing change based on the distance.

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2011, 08:00:17 AM »
So i want to make a beam defense base. It will be very slow ship (one engine). I want to place 9 around JumpPoint. How to tell them to move to specific coordinates? I didn't see that option anywhere.

Also what distance around JP do i need to be able to put under fire? How far will the enemy appear? I was planing to place 1 in the center but this might to have too short range. So i think of one center and 8 around it...

Also, do i need ECCM to laser canons? will enemy ECM be operational immediately after jump? Will they affect my laser fire control?

Thanks  :)
Only in Death does Duty End

Offline Klapaucius87

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2011, 08:59:29 AM »
Quote from: orfeusz link=topic=3924. msg38508#msg38508 date=1313672417
So i want to make a beam defense base.  It will be very slow ship (one engine).  I want to place 9 around JumpPoint.  How to tell them to move to specific coordinates? I didn't see that option anywhere.

Also what distance around JP do i need to be able to put under fire? How far will the enemy appear? I was planing to place 1 in the center but this might to have too short range.  So i think of one center and 8 around it. . .

Also, do i need ECCM to laser canons? will enemy ECM be operational immediately after jump? Will they affect my laser fire control?

Thanks  :)

If u put them at defense of a JP than right above it is better, as they will have the best to hit chance and the higher damage.
For the distance u can order them to orbit the point at a set distance : under the avaible orders area there is 'Min distance from target'.  Set the distance u want them to be from the JP and they will stop at this distance.
For the ecm i don't know, but as every electronic thing is 'stunned' after the jump maybe they are too.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2011, 10:29:02 AM »
Little nitpick here.
If the enemy uses uses "squadron jump", he will *not* appear on top of the jumppoint but at some distance.
The more advanced the techline "Max. Squadron Jump Radius" is, the further out the enemy squadron may appear.

Level 1      50k km
Level 2      100k km
Level 3      250k km
and so on.

Plasma carronade become inefficent due to range fast, so might not be the weapon of choice for this.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2011, 10:36:28 AM »
Little nitpick here.
If the enemy uses uses "squadron jump", he will *not* appear on top of the jumppoint but at some distance.
The more advanced the techline "Max. Squadron Jump Radius" is, the further out the enemy squadron may appear.

So missiles can be better choice...  They have much greater range then laser canons...

Plasma carronade become inefficent due to range fast, so might not be the weapon of choice for this.

I was thinking of 25cm lasers batteries...

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2011, 02:20:36 PM »
All electonic tech stuff is affected by the jump.  This includes currently all fire control, sensors, ecm/eccm.  The delay is also affected by the crew grade.  If you have a really high grade crew then the delay can be reduced to 10 seconds.  I have never seen a 5 second delay but in theory it would be possible.  A jump raduis of 250k km around the jump point is easy to get and will put a majority of the ships jumping in out of effective beam weapons range.  Some of them will probably be out of range completly.  Missiles are usefull here, but in particular small missiles with fast reload times and high speeds.  I wouldn't bother with sensors on them as you are trying to get in hits before their fire control gets back on line and they start shooting missiles down.  One other thing to think about is that your defenders are probably not going to have their shields up while the attacking ships will have shields up.  This does two things.  One is that your ships are vulnerable to High Power Microwave (hpm) weapons that will burn out your electronic stuff.  the second is that they will have more passive defense going than you will to start with, unless you have a fleet designed to fight in nebulas or defend a jump point.

Be carefull what you put in close to a jump point if it has light armor it is very vulnerable when they start shooting back.

Brian

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2011, 05:10:20 PM »
They can jump with shields ON?!  :o

As a side note, i just fight with 60k carrier with very strong shields. At first to conserve ammo i was firing 1-2 salvos and waited for effects. But i couldn't  damage him ;D I didn't understand why it was not taking damage (as i don't use shields) till it was so close, that my PD lasers begin firing and i get message about shields :D  Such fascinating game...

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2011, 05:53:44 AM »
I have a problem. I want to board alien ship. So i build transport ship with troop transport modules and combat drop-ship modules. I loaded marine company into transport modules and fly to target ship. The problem is i can't find out how to load soldiers from transport to combat-drop module. How to do it?

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »
have u got one of those ship to ship tractor beams take it back to earth and then board it ?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2011, 03:14:53 PM »
I have a problem. I want to board alien ship. So i build transport ship with troop transport modules and combat drop-ship modules. I loaded marine company into transport modules and fly to target ship. The problem is i can't find out how to load soldiers from transport to combat-drop module. How to do it?

Do you have the right sized drop modules? Marine companies take special drop modules. Everything else uses the larger ones.

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2011, 04:56:10 PM »
I had a ship with 5 battalion transport capacity and 5 battalion drop capacity. I was trying to use 3 marine companies. There were no order to load them :/   But when i place this ship near my empty commercial troop carrier i was able to load them using it as a place to start order (first window) :| Strange, that i needed EMPTY ship to load them, but whatever. They all die anyway :( I get message that casualties was 100%.... Maybe  1000km/s speed for a ship was to slow?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2011, 05:17:22 PM »
the attacking ship must be very fast to deposit marines-- beyond that, good luck