Author Topic: v2.0.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 125525 times)

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
Re: v1.14.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #225 on: August 09, 2021, 06:53:45 PM »
I have suggestions for Nebulas while we are on the subject.

In the game Empire at War, Nebulas on maps reduce or turn off shields and make ships harder to hit while they are inside of them but also harder for ships inside to hit things outside. You could possibly do this by having the nebulas inflict penalties in fleets. Just my suggestion since idk how viable that would be. You could also have it so they reduce sensor signature so you could hide fleets in it if you...wanted to since Stealth ships arent really a thing from what i can tell.

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #226 on: August 09, 2021, 10:23:05 PM »
From the changes list:
Wide System View

v2.0 has a wide system view option, similar to the wide view for the class window. The only difference is an extension of the system body list to show an extra six columns. The wide version of the window is 1900 pixels vs 1440 for the normal view.

The system view also has several new fields connected to eccentric orbits.
The picture attached to this post shows a column for "Inclination." Does this have a different meaning for 2D orbits that I'm not aware of? Because these are most definitely not the actual inclinations of the planets, and the game doesn't really model inclination as far as I'm aware so it's kind of strange to see it listed. Is this supposed to be the argument of periapsis or something like that? I don't really know orbital mechanics -- anyone who actually does feel free to chime in here.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #227 on: August 10, 2021, 01:30:16 AM »
Maybe it is time to make wide view as default for both system and class windows and rename normal view to something like reduced view.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, LiquidGold2, Foxxonius Augustus, nuclearslurpee

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #228 on: August 10, 2021, 02:22:13 AM »
Maybe it is time to make wide view as default for both system and class windows and rename normal view to something like reduced view.
If Aurora would save the setting for each window globally for your game that would be great. So anybody can choose his own preference.

The following users thanked this post: serger, BAGrimm, Foxxonius Augustus, Gabrote42

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #229 on: August 10, 2021, 03:07:49 AM »
I think wide is a better default.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #230 on: August 10, 2021, 03:57:13 AM »

I think so too :) but Aurora is designed to work within 1440x900 so non-wide is the default. Its easier for people with large screens to make the windows wide than the reverse. Especially for new players who may not understand what they are seeing. Once clicked the windows will stay wide until you close the game, so its only two clicks per session.

The following users thanked this post: Migi

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #231 on: August 10, 2021, 04:09:31 AM »
The picture attached to this post shows a column for "Inclination." Does this have a different meaning for 2D orbits that I'm not aware of? Because these are most definitely not the actual inclinations of the planets, and the game doesn't really model inclination as far as I'm aware so it's kind of strange to see it listed. Is this supposed to be the argument of periapsis or something like that? I don't really know orbital mechanics -- anyone who actually does feel free to chime in here.

Inclination in 3D space is the angle by which an orbit deviates from the plane of the ecliptic. In Aurora, I am using it to represent the direction in which the orbit stretches away from the star, which is the opposite direction to the argument of perihelion.

It might not be the correct term from an orbital mechanics perspective, but inclination isn't used in 2D space so I borrowed it to use as a simple term for orbital 'stretchiness' :)

The following users thanked this post: papent, StarshipCactus, Gabrote42

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #232 on: August 10, 2021, 11:18:04 AM »
 --- Did we ever get the fighters not unloading colonists bug fixed for 1.14(2.0)? I and someone else reported that they were still broke, but I don't see a fix in the changelog or the v1.1.3 bugs post...

Posting this here for visibility. :)

Offline Norm49

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
« Reply #233 on: August 10, 2021, 12:55:27 PM »
With the new orbit mechanic it would be nice if we could have some automation with the terraforming installation. It could add or remove green gas to try keeping the temperature to acceptable level.

The following users thanked this post: Droll, BAGrimm, nuclearslurpee

Offline Drakale

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #234 on: August 10, 2021, 01:02:37 PM »
Whoa we get seasons now, that's so damn cool.

It would be interesting if a world oscillated between all the hydrosphere freezing and melting, image how chaotic that would be for habitants.

edit: I guess it's not quite season which are based on tilt but similar in practice except planetwide.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 01:34:06 PM by Drakale »

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #235 on: August 10, 2021, 01:45:07 PM »
It would be interesting if a world oscillated between all the hydrosphere freezing and melting, image how chaotic that would be for habitants.

Yes, you should see that happen for planets with the right orbits.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #236 on: August 10, 2021, 06:04:50 PM »

I think so too :) but Aurora is designed to work within 1440x900 so non-wide is the default. Its easier for people with large screens to make the windows wide than the reverse. Especially for new players who may not understand what they are seeing. Once clicked the windows will stay wide until you close the game, so its only two clicks per session.

Well, this is more of a pain than just changing the default, but you might look at inspecting the display resolution to determine the initial wideness setting.

Offline Bluebreaker

• Chief Petty Officer
  • B
« Reply #237 on: August 10, 2021, 08:10:40 PM »
I was wondering if it will be possible to limit population to the higher Colony cost with the present infraestructure to avoid accidental genocide.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #238 on: August 10, 2021, 08:13:11 PM »
I was wondering if it will be possible to limit population to the higher Colony cost with the present infraestructure to avoid accidental genocide.

Steve confirmed earlier in the thread that the civilians will consider the max colony cost when shipping colonists. Beyond that, as is tradition the onus is on the player.  ;)

Offline gpt3

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #239 on: August 10, 2021, 08:21:54 PM »

Steve confirmed earlier in the thread that the civilians will consider the max colony cost when shipping colonists. Beyond that, as is tradition the onus is on the player.  ;)

As far as I can tell, natural population growth ignores the max colony cost. This must be the Aurora equivalent of real-life people building homes on volcanoes, in floodplains, in the path of hurricanes, etc.

The following users thanked this post: LiquidGold2