Author Topic: v2.0.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 125526 times)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: v1.14.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #585 on: March 19, 2022, 12:21:54 PM »
So does the latest ground invasion in the BSG campaign involve CAS? Asking for a friend.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #586 on: March 19, 2022, 12:58:31 PM »
So does the latest ground invasion in the BSG campaign involve CAS? Asking for a friend.

;D +1 for a friends friend!

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #587 on: March 19, 2022, 04:03:45 PM »
Can Steve add a checkbox for ground unit template box that exempts the template from numbering? For dedicated supply stockpile templates and replacement formations.
Checkbox for excluding them from having officer assigned to them as well.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 04:15:56 PM by Marski »

The following users thanked this post: papent, nakorkren

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #588 on: March 20, 2022, 12:04:21 AM »
Can Steve add a checkbox for ground unit template box that exempts the template from numbering? For dedicated supply stockpile templates and replacement formations.

Not sure why you would need this, since every template has its own numbering series as of 1.13. I.e., supply or replacement formations will not inflate the numbering of "real" formations anymore.

Checkbox for excluding them from having officer assigned to them as well.

Would be nice, currently I work around this by having a really high rank called "NO_OFFICER" or similar.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 12:13:46 AM by nuclearslurpee »

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #589 on: March 20, 2022, 01:14:59 AM »
Quote from: nuclearslurpee
Would be nice, currently I work around this by having a really high rank called "NO_OFFICER" or similar.

Yes, this trick may not work with the new way promotions work.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #590 on: March 20, 2022, 09:42:47 AM »
Quote from: nuclearslurpee

Yes, this trick may not work with the new way promotions work.

If I understand how the system works, I think it can still work but you have to have a completely empty rank underneath.

So a rank system like:
   N/A  NO OFFICER
   ---  NO COMMAND
   FM  Field Marshal
   GEN  General

This should 'work' because the auto-promotion system will still only promote an officer by one rank at a time, and an officer can only promote if a suitable post is available. Thus, no officer will ever promote to the NO COMMAND rank, thus no officer will ever be available to promote to the NO OFFICER rank.

However this is still an ugly workaround and not very flexible if you want to add ranks later, so the suggested change is very much preferable.

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #591 on: March 20, 2022, 11:26:09 AM »
I like the idea of the new repair bays. Do they only work in orbit of a population or can you build deep-space repair facilities?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #592 on: March 20, 2022, 11:31:03 AM »
I like the idea of the new repair bays. Do they only work in orbit of a population or can you build deep-space repair facilities?

Only at populations for now, although you can create a 'population' for this purpose on any available chunk of rock.

Offline Agraelgrimm

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #593 on: March 20, 2022, 11:34:22 AM »

Only at populations for now, although you can create a 'population' for this purpose on any available chunk of rock.
Would having a population hab on it and making it a space station instead of a ship make it work as a deep-space repair facility?
If so, then it open the gates for a multi-purpose "mobile" base. Similar to how a FOB functions. So, just move them closer to the front lines and the ships can then ressuply, repair and etc.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #594 on: March 20, 2022, 11:49:45 AM »

Would having a population hab on it and making it a space station instead of a ship make it work as a deep-space repair facility?
If so, then it open the gates for a multi-purpose "mobile" base. Similar to how a FOB functions. So, just move them closer to the front lines and the ships can then ressuply, repair and etc.

No, orbital habitats also need a population.

What I am probably going to add at some point is the ability for players to create a 'population' in deep space. This would involve adding a tiny rock with 0.001 pop capacity so I don't need to rewrite all the pop code.

Offline skoormit

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #595 on: March 20, 2022, 05:19:55 PM »
What I am probably going to add at some point is the ability for players to create a 'population' in deep space. This would involve adding a tiny rock with 0.001 pop capacity so I don't need to rewrite all the pop code.

Can we call such a rock a hackteroid?

Offline Lornalt

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #596 on: March 20, 2022, 07:27:26 PM »
Just to clarify Repair ships need resources right? it wasn't too specific in the changes list. So the colony in question does need a store of resources?

Offline gpt3

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #597 on: March 20, 2022, 07:40:22 PM »
What would the advantage of repair bays be over commercial damage control plus commercial hangar bays? My hunch from the post is that:
  • The former can scrap ships, uses TN resources, and is more resource efficient (shipyard repair vs. damage control rolls).
  • The latter doesn't require a population, uses MSP, and is more space efficient (1600t hangar + 300t damage control).

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #598 on: March 20, 2022, 07:46:31 PM »
What would the advantage of repair bays be over commercial damage control plus commercial hangar bays? My hunch from the post is that:
  • The former can scrap ships, uses TN resources, and is more resource efficient (shipyard repair vs. damage control rolls).
  • The latter doesn't require a population, uses MSP, and is more space efficient (1600t hangar + 300t damage control).

Armor damage can only be repaired in a shipyard, or now by the new repair bay modules. Using MSP to do repairs is nominally more efficient (about 50% of the resource cost compared to doing repairs, for most components) although for some components that use non-critical resources it may be more economical to use a repair yard instead.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #599 on: March 20, 2022, 08:02:42 PM »
Armor damage can only be repaired in a shipyard, or now by the new repair bay modules.

Also military hangar bays with MSP.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee