Author Topic: v2.0.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 125539 times)

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
Re: v1.14.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #600 on: March 20, 2022, 10:50:45 PM »
What's the advantage of repairyards over repair ships? They require workers, but I assume are a lot cheaper to build?

Edit:
Oh, repairyards can be dynamically expanded of course, while the ships are always at the same size unless you redesign them.

It's interesting that this now allows us to make repair space stations, which really are very similar to repairyards in concept, except they play by slightly different rules.
I'm just wondering a little about if not requiring workers is a bit too much of an upside, like how it's rare to see players build terraforming buildings, since terraforming ships are a lot easier to use since they don't require workers.

Hey, Steve, do you see yourself creating a ship component version of shipyards eventually, too, so that you can have ships constructing other ships?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 11:08:47 PM by Destragon »

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #601 on: March 21, 2022, 03:15:55 AM »
As someone whose grandfather served on a repair ship in WW2 and the Korean war, I very much appreciate this repair bay addition.  Will they stack  in a fleet or no? after further reading I see how they work, not a bad trade off for mobile repair.  Its not like anyone has multiple floating dry docks working on one big ship.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 03:17:58 AM by mtm84 »

The following users thanked this post: Sebmono

Offline King-Salomon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #602 on: March 21, 2022, 03:40:39 AM »
maybe I am blind or just ... as I haven't played Aurora a few months waiting for 2.0 but ...

when were "repair yards" added to the game? I couldn't find any hint for them other ion the new chances for 2.0 today.

also for the mobile repair ships:

- which officer bonus applys to them (if any)? (have naval officers "shipbilding bonus"?)
- will the repair ships need resources and MSP?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 04:17:12 AM by King-Salomon »

Online Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #603 on: March 21, 2022, 04:02:13 AM »
Just to clarify Repair ships need resources right? it wasn't too specific in the changes list. So the colony in question does need a store of resources?

Yes, they need resources.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #604 on: March 21, 2022, 04:06:27 AM »
Hey, Steve, do you see yourself creating a ship component version of shipyards eventually, too, so that you can have ships constructing other ships?

Yes, probably. The tricky part was finding a way to avoid rewriting a lot of the shipyard code when shipyards were added to ships. By linking them to a pop while in orbit, the pop thinks it owns the shipyard so all the existing code works. The mobile repair bays are sort of a dry run for mobile shipyards.

The following users thanked this post: Neophyte, Black, papent, TheBawkHawk, Lornalt, BAGrimm, Vastrat, Destragon, Sebmono

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #605 on: March 21, 2022, 04:17:21 AM »
when were "rapair yards" added to the game? I couldn't find any hint for them other ion the new chances for 2.0 today.

- which officer bonus applys to them (if any)? (have naval officers "shipbilding bonus"?)
Repair yards came in 1.13.

IIRC it's the "Production" bonus that affects this.

The following users thanked this post: King-Salomon

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #606 on: March 21, 2022, 06:16:21 AM »
Armor damage can only be repaired in a shipyard, or now by the new repair bay modules.

Also military hangar bays with MSP.

Is it really only military hangars? I looked at original post from Steve and there is no mention of it being limited to military hangars.

In my last game I had repair ships with commercial hangars and I think that I used them to repair some captured NPR ships.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #607 on: March 21, 2022, 06:52:38 AM »
Armor damage can only be repaired in a shipyard, or now by the new repair bay modules.

Is it really only military hangars? I looked at original post from Steve and there is no mention of it being limited to military hangars.

In my last game I had repair ships with commercial hangars and I think that I used them to repair some captured NPR ships.

You can repair in a commercial hangar, although that uses MSP rather than minerals. Also a ship in a shipyard (or repair yard) does not require maintenance, while a ship being repaired in a commercial hangar does.

Offline Lornalt

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #608 on: March 21, 2022, 09:35:15 AM »

Yes, probably. The tricky part was finding a way to avoid rewriting a lot of the shipyard code when shipyards were added to ships. By linking them to a pop while in orbit, the pop thinks it owns the shipyard so all the existing code works. The mobile repair bays are sort of a dry run for mobile shipyards.

This sounds great! The one thing that bothered me was I had to divert my industrial resources to build ship components when it was more useful to build more industries. Hope to see this in 2.1  :)

No need to push for 2.0   ;D

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #609 on: March 21, 2022, 02:21:33 PM »

You can repair in a commercial hangar, although that uses MSP rather than minerals. Also a ship in a shipyard (or repair yard) does not require maintenance, while a ship being repaired in a commercial hangar does.

Oh I thought parasite repair was just a military hangar thing for some reason.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #610 on: March 21, 2022, 07:29:03 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but:

Repair bay - 2000 tons size for 1000 tons of repair capability
Commercial hangar - 1600 tons size for 1000 tons of repair capability

I would adjust the size of one or the other so that they match. Then the choice between which one to use would be purely whether you want to spend minerals or maintenance supplies for repairs.

Offline Destragon

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #611 on: March 21, 2022, 09:31:18 PM »

I would adjust the size of one or the other so that they match. Then the choice between which one to use would be purely whether you want to spend minerals or maintenance supplies for repairs.
Except repair bays need to orbit a colony to work and hangars can repair on the move (and can carry ships).
Should hangars maybe be bigger than repair bays, since hangars are essentially repair bays with added functionality?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 09:34:29 PM by Destragon »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #612 on: March 21, 2022, 10:46:45 PM »

Adding to this, Commercial Hangars cost only 100 BP (75% of which is Vendarite, usually a very non-critical mineral) while the Repair Bay will cost 120. As it stands right now it seems like the only serious benefit for Repair Bays is the ability to scrap ships (not much more than a niche use, IMO), or to do repairs without MSP which is a questionable benefit at best.

Personally I would suggest to raise the Commercial Hangar size to double that of the military Hangar Bay, either 2000 (round) or 2100 (exact) tons, which would place it in line with the other existing commercial variant components (Magazine C500 and Damage Control) which are double the size of their military equivalents. I'm not sure which direction the costs should be changed in - whether the hangar cost should increase or the repair bay cost decrease.

Offline Platys51

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #613 on: March 22, 2022, 08:22:38 AM »
Personally I would suggest to raise the Commercial Hangar size to double that of the military Hangar Bay, either 2000 (round) or 2100 (exact) tons, which would place it in line with the other existing commercial variant components (Magazine C500 and Damage Control) which are double the size of their military equivalents. I'm not sure which direction the costs should be changed in - whether the hangar cost should increase or the repair bay cost decrease.
I would say go other way around. To give it more identity, decrease the size and increase the cost. Lets say 500t for a kt worth of space, with the cost going up 2-3X. It will allow to service ships its size which would be extremely useful for jump drive commercial ships as players, especially in low tech games can't afford to research much larger jump drive for sake of making a repair ship to fix up damaged vessel without jumpgate access.

With incoming raiders, it could be pretty useful in this iteration.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #614 on: March 22, 2022, 02:28:15 PM »
I would personally keep the hangar bays the way they are but limit their repair capabilities. If they could not repair vessels of a displacement larger than 1kt, there would be a niche for both.

Another thing that could be looked at is the repair cost. Maybe shipyards should have an edge over hangars when it comes to economy. Does anyone know how expensive the repair of a 100 BP engine is in a shipyard compared to a hangar?