Author Topic: Hevereyn: Dark Elven Campaign - Comments  (Read 3261 times)

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Hevereyn: Dark Elven Campaign - Comments
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2021, 01:12:14 PM »
Some interesting happenings going on. I'm admittedly unsure how different Houses experience such different economic struggles if they all have the same basic set of TNEs to access, but I suppose it is differences in production plans that make the difference. Some very poor fortune for House Indrias with what happened to the Scry but I suppose this is what happens when you build a spaceship on the basis of arcane magicks and ritual incantations instead of the exact same thing but with equations science.  :P

Some...interesting survey ship design choices by Houses Fellshard and Indrett. Perhaps the most noticeable, both survey ship designs do seem a bit slow and I would probably suggest bumping up the ratio of engines versus sensors since ship speed does play an important role in surveying rate. However, more concerning is the crew quarters and engineering space allocations which seem far too little for the mission or especially the designed fuel range. I fully expect at least one ship captain to push the ship beyond its maintenance lifetime, and the after-incident investigation will note that the captain thought he was in good shape due to having over 50% fuel remaining at the time of the massive engine explosion that killed all hands aboard.

December 1030
House Fellshard trains the 1st Infantry Cadre compromising of 4 Infantry Phalanxes. These troops have far superior training, weaponry, and equipment to their militia predecessors.

I hope what is meant here is that one of the 4 Phalanxes also includes the Cadre headquarters. Otherwise, the Houses are likely to discover that they will run out of junior leaders to staff the sub-formations their senior officers control.

The change from 4:1 to 3:1 rank ratio for ground force commanders remains probably my singularly least favorite change in the C# version.

House Indrias is eradicated from the face of Falldara. The vast technological superiority of House Fellshard and House Indrett outmatched the witches of House Indrias.

Aww.  :(

The Brivoki and the Viral continue surveying systems. House Fellshard, having not heard from either crew for a while elects to construct another Viral class vessel: the Akhiok.

In-universe, this is a rather amusing decision-making process. Having not heard from their ships, most races would worry that their crews have run into danger and consider sending a scout to find out what has happened, or perhaps assume the worst and postpone further explorations indefinitely until hearing from their crews. The Fellshard response to this possible danger is to immediately build more ships to send more people into the same danger. Truly an admirable lack of ethics is on display, albeit admirable mainly by super villains and mad megalomaniacs.

The construction of a 4,000-ton naval warship with two quite small guns is certainly an accomplishment in a field of naval shipbuilding. The question is which field this is, certainly it is not any of the fields traditionally considered essential for budding naval powers.

Looking forward to this promised new format and assuredly the dramatic developments its introduction must herald. I remain mildly distressed that not only has a faction been eliminated, reducing the potential for intrigue and infighting, but even more that it was clearly the best and most flavorful faction which perished, and I must insist that the author work extra hard to make up for this grievous offense.

The following users thanked this post: doodle_sm

Offline doodle_sm (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: doodleSM
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2021, 02:40:06 PM »
Meant to reply to your post before posting Chapter 5, thanks to everyone for encouraging me and helping me with the new format.

I hope what is meant here is that one of the 4 Phalanxes also includes the Cadre headquarters. Otherwise, the Houses are likely to discover that they will run out of junior leaders to staff the sub-formations their senior officers control
It's a total of 5 formations, the HQ and 4 Phalanxes.

However, more concerning is the crew quarters and engineering space allocations which seem far too little for the mission or especially the designed fuel range. I fully expect at least one ship captain to push the ship beyond its maintenance lifetime, and the after-incident investigation will note that the captain thought he was in good shape due to having over 50% fuel remaining at the time of the massive engine explosion that killed all hands aboard.
uh oh.

I remain mildly distressed that not only has a faction been eliminated, reducing the potential for intrigue and infighting, but even more that it was clearly the best and most flavorful faction which perished, and I must insist that the author work extra hard to make up for this grievous offense.

I got something planned for them ;)
Maybe, in the end, this was the best that any warrior could hope for. A chance to reconcile with your enemy, or, failing that, to fall in the pursuit of peace

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2021, 03:02:09 AM »
No-one expects the arcane zombie warlocks of the un-dead House of Indrias.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2021, 09:00:10 AM »
No-one expects the arcane zombie warlocks of the un-dead House of Indrias.

Well, now we do, good job ruining things for everyone.  ;)

Offline doodle_sm (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: doodleSM
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2021, 11:06:21 AM »
Almost finished with Chapter 6 :)
Maybe, in the end, this was the best that any warrior could hope for. A chance to reconcile with your enemy, or, failing that, to fall in the pursuit of peace