Author Topic: Sorium as a strategic weakness  (Read 3466 times)

Offline Density

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • D
Re: Sorium as a strategic weakness
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2021, 09:06:39 AM »
I was halfway through replying to Scandinavian when I went to check something and saw that slurpee made my points more eloquently than I was attempting to.

But I will add this: the idea that stuff is piled out in the open just because there isn't an installation in the game that models storage implies that the populations of cc 0 colonies are just sleeping in fields or whatever naturally formed shelter they can find. After all, housing made of conventional materials isn't modelled either.

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42, Blogaugis

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2021, 01:24:05 PM »
Problem is that if you want to limit planetary fuel storage, you are opening can of worms. If the fuel storage is limited, should mineral storage and maintenance storage also be limited? And what about missiles. Do you also need planetary magazines to store your missile production?

I wouldn't want to see storage limits on minerals, at least, for micromanagement reasons. MSP and missiles I think could go either way, but the question needs to be asked "does adding this improve the game in any way?" and I'm not sure it does, whereas I can at least see an argument for fuel.

Narratively I think it could be easily rationalized why a colony could store infinite amounts of minerals (and maybe MSP and missiles) but not infinite amounts of fuel simply because fuel is a liquid and therefor needs to be stored in tanks so it doesn't all evaporate or seep into the ground. Ingots of refined minerals can probably just be set in a field somewhere, maybe with a tarp over them in TNEs can corrode, and MSP and missiles probably already have some level of packaging and at most require a fairly basic warehouse.

With the new spoiler race it sounds like the kind of thing that should be held off on for now until we see the emergent gameplay effects of the new race.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:26:09 PM by Bremen »

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42, nuclearslurpee

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2021, 01:30:44 PM »
While it does start to drift a little from the original topic, perhaps a solution to the OP and future issues could be the introduction of storage facilities, one for minerals, one for fuel, one for missiles and one for everything else. They need not require any population nor upkeep to keep the micro work down. But it would mean you can't just pile up mountains of minerals all on one world etc, with the new spoilers coming too it would mean those offworld colonies used as storage depots need to be looked after both in the RP world and game mechanic one.

I can see where some folks might not agree with this being a good idea. So simply add a game option similar to the free maintenance option we currently have, either "stuff requires storage/stuff can sit anywhere".

The following users thanked this post: LiquidGold2, Blogaugis

Offline Gabrote42

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2021, 06:52:43 PM »
I have always operated on the assumption that traditional minerals and anything made from them is not modeled. I see no reason to not agree with nuclearslurpee here.
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2021, 07:11:24 PM »
I have always operated on the assumption that traditional minerals and anything made from them is not modeled. I see no reason to not agree with nuclearslurpee here.

Truly there is no better justification for thread necromancy.

Offline Gabrote42

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2021, 07:57:38 PM »

Truly there is no better justification for thread necromancy.
I didn't notice I am so sorry
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.