Author Topic: Mars Military Protection  (Read 2721 times)

Offline 15minutegamer (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • ?
Mars Military Protection
« on: April 30, 2020, 06:58:56 AM »
I have colonised Mars (as you do) and I didn't realise the people would cause unrest, now Mars requires protection of 9 and I have zero. Stability is now at 14.3%

Now I don't know if I am understanding this wrong and I hope I explain it right.

Just for information, I have no troop transports or ships with weapons yet, also no military engines just commercial.

In the tutorial I'm watching, the guy says that ships offer PPV but that troops kinda do as well , however I can't see any PPV assigned to troops in the creation window.  Either way, since I have no troop transport and no ships with weapons I'm kinda stuck. So what's going to be best for me, will concentrating on getting the troops over sort the problem or do I just build a basic weapons platform for a ship and send that over? I have two shipyards so I could build both.
Also how many troops would I need for 9 protection? I have a task group with 500 units ready.

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Mars Military Protection
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 07:01:49 AM »
Ground forces provide literally 0 PPV they only stop "halt" unrest, you need ships in the system to provide PPV oh and if the video is mine, I build a defense ship early on with cheap tech for this exact reason.

Offline lipton

• Leading Rate
  • l
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 07:03:26 AM »
Ground Troops don't provide Protection.  But if you lack Protection they can supress the Unrest.
Fast solution would be building a station with lots of Weapons.  The station can orbit Earth and provide Protection for Mars.

• Chief Petty Officer
  • ?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 07:05:12 AM »
Ground forces provide literally 0 PPV they only stop "halt" unrest, you need ships in the system to provide PPV oh and if the video is mine, I build a defense ship early on with cheap tech for this exact reason.

Yeah it was your video. So a cheap defence ship is a good idea now for me to build

• Chief Petty Officer
  • ?
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 07:05:58 AM »
Ground Troops don't provide Protection.  But if you lack Protection they can supress the Unrest.
Fast solution would be building a station with lots of Weapons.  The station can orbit Earth and provide Protection for Mars.

Now I just need to learn how to do that lol

Offline SpaceMarine

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 07:07:51 AM »
If you go forward in the videos I design a ship for that so you can see how to do it yourself.

Offline lipton

• Leading Rate
  • l
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 07:08:18 AM »
Design a Ship without Engine, slap some Weapons on it.  Railguns or Gauss or whatever you have researched and build it with one of your shipyards.
PPV of a ship is equal to the HS-Size of the Weapons-systems on it.

• Chief Petty Officer
  • ?
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 07:09:12 AM »
Oh thats easy :) i'll try that now

Offline Thrake

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 07:10:15 AM »

Yeah it was your video. So a cheap defence ship is a good idea now for me to build

You just need something with guns. The masses will only look at gun's hull size to consider wether they are satisfied or not.

• Chief Petty Officer
  • ?
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 07:20:37 AM »
I haven't designed a single weapons platform before
I can do a beam fire control and a missile, is there anything massively important I need to change or include?

Max Range 144,000 km     Tracking Speed 2,000 km/s
Size 1.5 HS  (75 tons)    HTK 1
Chance of destruction by electronic damage 100%
Cost 14.4    Crew 6
Development Cost 144 RP

Materials Required
Uridium  14.4

Maximum Missile Size 1     Rate of Fire 30 seconds
Size 1 HS  (50 tons)    HTK 1
Cost 4    Crew 3
Development Cost 40 RP

Materials Required
Duranium  1
Tritanium  3.00

Offline lipton

• Leading Rate
  • l
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 07:24:38 AM »
Fire Controls and Magazines don't provide Protection value.  You need a Weapon System.

• Chief Petty Officer
  • ?
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 07:28:25 AM »
Fire Controls and Magazines don't provide Protection value.  You need a Weapon System.

Ok, good job I hadn't started, how do I do this?

Offline lipton

• Leading Rate
  • l
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 07:32:08 AM »
Code: [Select]
PPV Station class Orbital Defence Platform      417 tons       23 Crew       25.4 BP       TCS 8    TH 0    EM 0
1 km/s      Armour 1-4       Shields 0-0       HTK 3      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 1      PPV 6
Maint Life 45.64 Years     MSP 38    AFR 1%    IFR 0.0%    1YR 0    5YR 1    Max Repair 10 MSP
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Morale Check Required   

10cm Railgun V10/C1 (2x4)    Range 0km     TS: 1,250 km/s     Power 3-1     Accuracy Modifier 100%     RM 10,000 km    ROF 15       
This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and planetary interaction

Really simple.  Fast to build with Fighter Factories.  And provides 6 PPV.  But it cannot fight, because it has no sensors or Fire control.  But for a short time solution it is enough.  When Mars is no longer revolting you should design a real defence force.

Offline Thrake

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 07:32:41 AM »
I haven't designed a single weapons platform before
I can do a beam fire control and a missile, is there anything massively important I need to change or include?

Max Range 144,000 km     Tracking Speed 2,000 km/s
Size 1.5 HS  (75 tons)    HTK 1
Chance of destruction by electronic damage 100%
Cost 14.4    Crew 6
Development Cost 144 RP

Materials Required
Uridium  14.4

Maximum Missile Size 1     Rate of Fire 30 seconds
Size 1 HS  (50 tons)    HTK 1
Cost 4    Crew 3
Development Cost 40 RP

Materials Required
Duranium  1
Tritanium  3.00

Give it something like plasma caronade, gauss canon or wathever weapon you have already researched. You don't even need the fire control, though without the fire control your ship will be useless in combat. The masses do not care about usefulness in combat. They just want big guns.

You can add a weapon system by first creating and researching a project, just like you must have already researched your engine.

Offline Rye123

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Hi.
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 12:24:26 PM »
Of course, that's the nice leader way.

I prefer dropping several battalions over their heads to quell any unrest.