Author Topic: Remilian's Aurora Tools: Custom Medal Conditions, Event Log, RP changes and more  (Read 5063 times)

Offline Remilian (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
This tool is primarily for roleplay, but includes some practical features as well. Currently it allows to:
  • Edit existing and create new medal conditions! Choose the amount of hostile ships destroyed instead of being limited to preset tonnage conditions.
  • Change if certain events interrupt your game without need to hide them entirely.
  • Clear all entries in the Event Log. Get rid of those hundreds of thousands of entries that slow down your game!
  • Rename installations, their workers, and political statuses of your colonies. Indulge a bit more in roleplay, or do something wacky.
  • More features to come.

All changes are done through database edits, so this tool does not qualify as a mod. Approved with Steve.
Any changes will affect only the database you choose to edit. The tool is not required to run after the changes have been made.
New versions of the tool will include mostly roleplaying stuff, but a few decent practical game-changing things as well.

Written using C# and uses the same libraries as Aurora. If you can run Aurora - you should be able to run this tool without any additional installations required.
Unless drastic changes happen, it should work with any version of the game. If changes do happen and the version becomes incompatible - the tool should safely refuse to make any changes to your database. I will most likely add some more future-proofing later.

The RAT is currently work-in-progress, but I put a decent amount of work into making sure your database will not get corrupted, including making a backup before every edit (can be disabled).
I would appreciate any feedback on the usage: usability, bugs, and especially if the tool refuses to work at all.

Usage:
Before using the tool, make sure that the game is closed! This tool works only with the database, but the game overwrites the data when saving. You will need to restart the game for changes to take effect anyways.

After making changes you want, press the "Commit changes" button. If you close the application without that, all changes made that session will be lost.

After opening the database, all present values for various features will be shown.
To change a value - double-click it. It is handled differently for every feature. For example, double-clicking values in Event Interruption table will just switch the Yes\No value, and double-clicking a Medal Condition value will open a new dialog box where you can change the specifics.
If new values can be added or deleted - appropriate buttons will be shown on the same page as the table.

All values are color-coded:
  • White = No changes made (vanilla)
  • Orange = Change has been made, but not commited
  • Blue = Change has been made and commited (not vanilla)
  • Red = Value will be deleted when commited
(Note: if values are white no matter what - make sure that file "RAT_CleanData.dat" is present in the same folder as the application)

Specific notes:
  • When deleting medal conditions, all medals that currently use that condition will lose it, but the medals themselves should remain intact.
  • When changing existing medal condition, all medals that currently use that condition will be updated.

Downloads (pick one):
  • Lightweight option - can only launch from the same folder as Aurora. Includes executable and data files.
    87kb archive | 158kb extracted
  • Standalone(ish) version - can launch from any folder. Includes executable, data, and all required libraries.
    3.2mb archive | 8.5mb extracted
Download button is at the top-right of the page.

Note:
As I mentioned before,  it should be safe for average user, but there are definitely some edge-cases. For example, deleting every value in the table might cause in-game problems.

Future plans:
  • Import\Export system, so you can use configurations on new databases or share them with others.
  • More roleplay stuff: rename trade goods, lines, shipping and mining colonies, and more.
  • More plactical stuff: hulls, miscellaneous components, and more.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 04:15:53 AM by Remilian »

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Thanks for this. I am really interested in the medals condition for my pack.

However, I assume this DB editor will be limited by the DB version or would potentially work with other iterations?

If not, I would recommend including the DB version you need to run to make it works. This will avoid problems if in the future it will not be updated.

Great work though, I wish I had the ability.

Offline Remilian (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
Thanks for this. I am really interested in the medals condition for my pack.

However, I assume this DB editor will be limited by the DB version or would potentially work with other iterations?

If not, I would recommend including the DB version you need to run to make it works. This will avoid problems if in the future it will not be updated.

Great work though, I wish I had the ability.
Thanks.
As long as there are no changes affecting specific database record formats, it should work with any version of Aurora.
If some drastic changes do happen, I can quickly adjust the code. Later I will most likely move some of the logic into a config file that can be edited by users in the future if needed.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
li]Rename installations, their workers, and political statuses of your colonies. Indulge a bit more in roleplay, or do something wacky.

THANK YOU! YES! CUSTOM INSTALLATIONS FINALLY!

Not exactly with the full functionality i would like but its a step in the right direction.

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
That's splendid!
Thank you and good luck with new versions!

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
I love this.

Taking feature requests?

1) Setting to keep past X days of event logs, rather than deleting all of them.

2) Delete ship history logs. (These can also cause significant increase to game save times.)
Two settings:
A) As above, keep past X days.
B) Minimum history records to keep per fleet.
(In other words, delete only records older than X, and only after skipping the first Y records for each fleet.)

3) Build ship components with industry.
I choose a colony, a ship design, a desired number of ships, and select top or bottom of queue.
This feature inserts the industry-buildable components for that number of ships at the top or bottom of the industry queue of that colony.
The percentage of industry allocated to each component is balanced so that they all complete at the same time.
Bonus: Add an option to use or ignore colony stockpiles.
Note: I have a query that calculates the component cost percentages for each design. Message me if you'd like it.

Offline Remilian (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • R
I love this.

Taking feature requests?

1) Setting to keep past X days of event logs, rather than deleting all of them.

2) Delete ship history logs. (These can also cause significant increase to game save times.)
Two settings:
A) As above, keep past X days.
B) Minimum history records to keep per fleet.
(In other words, delete only records older than X, and only after skipping the first Y records for each fleet.)

3) Build ship components with industry.
I choose a colony, a ship design, a desired number of ships, and select top or bottom of queue.
This feature inserts the industry-buildable components for that number of ships at the top or bottom of the industry queue of that colony.
The percentage of industry allocated to each component is balanced so that they all complete at the same time.
Bonus: Add an option to use or ignore colony stockpiles.
Note: I have a query that calculates the component cost percentages for each design. Message me if you'd like it.
Absolutely. This is version 0.1 after all.

1 and 2 definitely will be added. As for 3, maybe later.

The following users thanked this post: serger, skoormit, Sebmono

Offline Stryker

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
Is there a way to turn off civilian scrapped ships.  I don't see that option.