Author Topic: What's Your Largest Empire?  (Read 6086 times)

Offline d.rodin

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
Re: What's Your Largest Empire?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2021, 03:07:01 AM »
Progress so far:

The following users thanked this post: skoormit, nuclearslurpee

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2021, 01:25:18 AM »
All these posts saying their huge empire only had a couple of billion people total are really making me feel bad for starting with 12 billion on Earth at the start...

In my defense, thats how many people we are projected to have in 2100, and I like the idea of starting with a Sol in desperate need of living space. Unfortunately, no one seems to be very bothered about the lack of elbow space and will wait patiently for me to dick around with conventional tech hauling a couple hundred people to Mars every month.

My biggest empire probably hasn't been larger than 3 jumps from Sol in all directions. I haven't even gotten into a real fight save one with some precursors. Either I feel overwhelmed with management and lag or I feel like I've done something wrong and want a fresh start; I've never gotten to the endgame!

My plan though is to establish and empire 10 jumps out from Sol through ever direction I can and THEN enable NPRs. No fun in encountering them when you aren't ready imo.

The following users thanked this post: Blogaugis

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2021, 03:58:46 AM »
My largest empire is always the next one

;)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2021, 09:28:09 AM »
Unfortunately, no one seems to be very bothered about the lack of elbow space and will wait patiently for me to dick around with conventional tech hauling a couple hundred people to Mars every month.

This raises an interesting point whether or not the policing requirements of a planetary population should increase as the planet becomes more full above a certain threshold. For example, when the space taken is at least 50% the policing requirements start to increase more than usual, with the increase being more extreme as the space used approaches 100%.

Offline Blogaugis

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2021, 07:08:47 AM »
All these posts saying their huge empire only had a couple of billion people total are really making me feel bad for starting with 12 billion on Earth at the start...

In my defense, thats how many people we are projected to have in 2100, and I like the idea of starting with a Sol in desperate need of living space. Unfortunately, no one seems to be very bothered about the lack of elbow space and will wait patiently for me to dick around with conventional tech hauling a couple hundred people to Mars every month.

My biggest empire probably hasn't been larger than 3 jumps from Sol in all directions. I haven't even gotten into a real fight save one with some precursors. Either I feel overwhelmed with management and lag or I feel like I've done something wrong and want a fresh start; I've never gotten to the endgame!

My plan though is to establish and empire 10 jumps out from Sol through ever direction I can and THEN enable NPRs. No fun in encountering them when you aren't ready imo.
I didn't even managed to leave Sol.
Probably due to lack of patience and realization that there are other things to play.

I go for a compromise between 500m start and this 12b - 10b population start.
In a save long ago, terraformed the moon (Luna), and was about to terraform Mercury with ruins...

In the current game, 2 NPRs are up at the game start, Precursors and Invaders are also enabled. Known star systems settings up.
I think I doubled the range of NPR spawning. That setting at start with Light Years.
Also, I change the start year from 2025 to 0001 - In order to maximize the potential amount of time possible in the game.
I've also left the instant ship build points at 0, while research points at just 2000 - this probably gives an advantage to the NPRs, but maybe with time I'll catch up to them.
So far, using 3 survey ships to geosurvey as much the Sol as possible. Often building research facilities - 1 built every 3 building cycles - thanks to 8000 starting construction factories...

I used to leave the civilian mining colonies to generate wealth out of resources, but I think I'll try to buy every last bit of resource I can get my hands on in this one, after reading so many sad stories about resource shortages...
This raises an interesting point whether or not the policing requirements of a planetary population should increase as the planet becomes more full above a certain threshold. For example, when the space taken is at least 50% the policing requirements start to increase more than usual, with the increase being more extreme as the space used approaches 100%.
I don't think so. I don't think Aurora4X should put much attention to the population policing, unless we can customize it, of course.

EDIT: I've also set the academy training level on 5 (maximum quality), for now, since I don't plan on building military ships so early in the game, hence, have nowhere to put the navy officers (except built a 120 fighters with no weapons). Ground forces, however, have a shortage of officers, partially due to poor command structure (1000 point HQ unit, will have to upgrade to at least 2500) and due to the size of a single formation (250 was the standard platoon, but now moved to 500 ton sized High-platoons, might need to upgrade to 750)...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 07:54:52 AM by Blogaugis »

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2021, 08:06:52 AM »
Game start year is purely cosmetic, there is no end date for the game , year 1 and year 40,000 are the same

Offline Blogaugis

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2021, 08:16:58 AM »
Game start year is purely cosmetic, there is no end date for the game , year 1 and year 40,000 are the same
Wasn't there a limit that the Year 9000 is... when the game can't go on?

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2021, 08:31:22 AM »
Not that I have ever noticed and if its a BigInt 9000 is a pretty tiny number, Also of course no game is going to make it 9000 years .
Starting year apparently does have to be between 1 and 9000, however year 9001 is no problem so no game end at 9000

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2021, 10:04:26 AM »
Not that I have ever noticed and if its a BigInt 9000 is a pretty tiny number, Also of course no game is going to make it 9000 years .
Starting year apparently does have to be between 1 and 9000, however year 9001 is no problem so no game end at 9000

The maximum year is 9999, as that is the max value of the .NET Date/Time object.

The following users thanked this post: Blogaugis

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2021, 07:24:45 PM »
My current game is my longest running in a long long time. About 126 years I think. This is a random stars start. I'm not overly far with colonizing because my starting system only has 3 jump points, one goes to a series of empty systems, one goes to a useless deadend system and the last one goes to a decent system, but then another empty one. I have far to travel to get to any decent systems.

I have population on 4 planets in my starting system and two planets outside of it.