Author Topic: Duranium Legion Vol. 2 - Comments Thread  (Read 852 times)

Offline Warer

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Duranium Legion Vol. 2 - Comments Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2022, 04:15:33 PM »
Let us all take a moment of silence as we remember the poor suffering people of Alpha Centauri-B II, forced to live so many decades with no light refreshments to punctuate their fraught existence. Truly a tragedy on a scale never before seen in history. As for the instigators of this tragedy, well, they shall remain the subject of reckless speculation for now...
You see tragedy I see an untapped market.
-BritCoTheThird Rep

The following users thanked this post: Black, El Pip, nuclearslurpee

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2022, 02:29:43 PM »
Even so, no one seriously considered calling off the survey before it was completed, as even in spite of the dreadful economic situation of the moment Lord High Admiral Laura Tyrol had no intention of setting a precedent that her command should ever be subject to the whims of such a banal force as economics.
At least some standards are being maintained in the Legion

In his concluding remarks, Captain Zelos noted that while the retreat actions of the 19th Mechanized and the colonists under their protection were perhaps cowardly and unbecoming, such actions had ultimately preserved a small fraction of the colonists, and in any case the bravery and hardiness of the remnant colonists was certainly as much as any citizen of the Legion could aspire to.
The clear implication being that if relief had arrived in 90 days and not 90 years then the actions of the 19th Mechanized and colonists would have reverted back to being cowardly and unbecoming.

I feel Zelos has the potential to go far in the Admiralty.

For once in Legion history, economic necessities came before military desires, though many were left to wonder if “for once” would in fact also be “for all time”.
The third worst thing to ever happen to the Legion, the second being the Collapse and the first being the current ongoing lack of light refreshments.

Legion ship naming remains a source of joy and delight. The Seahammer in particular is a classic, it's an item that sounds impressive and violent but would be deeply disappointing in reality due to some pesky physics that none of the Lords Admiralty would know or care about.

The following users thanked this post: Warer, nuclearslurpee

Online nuclearslurpee (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2022, 07:43:24 PM »
Let us all take a moment of silence as we remember the poor suffering people of Alpha Centauri-B II, forced to live so many decades with no light refreshments to punctuate their fraught existence. Truly a tragedy on a scale never before seen in history. As for the instigators of this tragedy, well, they shall remain the subject of reckless speculation for now...
You see tragedy I see an untapped market.
-BritCoTheThird Rep

Sounds like the Dutch East Alpha Centauri Company is going into business. Which is perhaps a bit of a problem for them, as presently Alpha Centauri-B is on the "west" side of the map, not that such terms have any meaning in space of course.

The clear implication being that if relief had arrived in 90 days and not 90 years then the actions of the 19th Mechanized and colonists would have reverted back to being cowardly and unbecoming.

It is sometimes quite impressive what dying and being succeeded by one's descendants does for one's reputation.

Legion ship naming remains a source of joy and delight. The Seahammer in particular is a classic, it's an item that sounds impressive and violent but would be deeply disappointing in reality due to some pesky physics that none of the Lords Admiralty would know or care about.

It is as always nice to know that some among the readership do appreciate what is truly important in life.  :)

Though one might note that a sufficiently large "seahammer" would in fact still be quite violent and impressive, albeit for rather different reasons than one usually associates with hammers.

----

OOC Comments

Quote tag for Chapter III:
Code: [Select]
[quote author=nuclearslurpee link=topic=13094.msg162589#msg162589 date=1664066576][/quote]
In a contrast to my usual style of gameplay, there is not a lot happening early on in terms of exploration due to the limited survey assets, thus not a lot of action for the impressive-looking warships the Lords Admiral are so proud of. The contrast of course is that I am paying much more attention to mineral sources than I usually do in the early game, as the Legion is frankly out of everything but can only get some things at a time. Spoilers, probably: next on the list will be mercassium and neutronium as the Legion will need both very soon if they want to do anything fun in this century.

I hope this perhaps unusual focus is appreciated by some, not too intolerable to the rest, and an adequate substitute for the chronic lack of light refreshments for all. I have my doubts about the latter but one can always hope as we have seen.

The following users thanked this post: Black, Warer

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2022, 02:36:13 PM »
Frankly, no one had been paying attention to the stockpiles of what was usually a tertiary mineral, until now perhaps half of the Lords Admiral had not even known the word “corbomite” in all honesty.
There are only 11 TN minerals and yet that is still clearly at least one too many for the Lords Admiralty to keep track of. It is reassuring that so little has changed inside the Legion over the decades.

The question of whether heads ought to roll over this was a popular subject of discussion both inside and outside of the Legion high command offices.
There is only one correct Legion approved answer to this question, I only hope it was reached.

Thus ended the year 4101, with the Legion looking outwards with hope and anticipation
I don't want Lord Admirals with hope, I want them deranged with blood thirsty dreams of driving even close to the enemy so they can shoot them in the face at point blank.

Let us hope this is a brief interlude of economic concerns and that normal service is soon resumed.

Or that instead this work goes full on macrosocio-economic with the Lords Admirals being over-thrown by the Lords Actuary, a group devoted to building an economically efficient empire with a few military types scrabbling for scraps. It would be a bold change in direction but one I think the world deserves to see.

The following users thanked this post: Warer, nuclearslurpee