Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361561 times)

Offline Outrojection

• Leading Rate
  • O
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #435 on: September 03, 2020, 07:45:01 PM »
Quote from: Droll link=topic=11545. msg140624#msg140624 date=1599178181
Im assuming that you have set the minimum value of the supply ships correctly.  How much time did you wait for the MSP to be transferred when you decided it wasn't working?
I had a similar problem with tankers and fuel until I realized that I need to wait hours not minutes of game time.

Additionally, resupply from supply ships probably didnt work because both the base and the ships are considered supply vessels, ergo they will supply the rest of the fleet but not eachother since they are all above their minimum supply.  This might be annoying micro but try to set the base design to be not a supply ship and see if the problem persists.  Once it is filled up and the supply ships have left you can redesignate the base as a supply ship.  (you dont need to unlock the design to mess around with designations like tanker, collier and supply).  You could also try to set the minimum supply of the base to 100% MSP and then move it back once the supply is done.

Minimum fuel and supply was set to zero on the base.
10% fuel, zero supply for the ships.
I hit 30 day increment after issuing the orders, game stopped and gave me the message than the fleet had completed its order to resupply the base after a few seconds.  When I reissue the orders, sometimes it stops after 5 seconds, sometimes it takes 2 minutes, sometimes 6 hours.

Just tried unticking the "supply ship" option for the base design and played with the minimum supplies, the ships still won't top off its MSP when ordered, neither with the "resupply from own supply ships" order, nor with the "join & resupply target fleet" order.

However, if I:
Untick the the supply ship box on the base design
Merge the resupply base with the resupply ships
Have the resupply ships set to "resupply own fleet"
Wait

The supply ships will slowly fill the base's MSP. Unfortunately this is an unacceptable amount for micromanagement for something that should be trivial, and I don't know how to automate it. I'm now trying to figure out a better way to maintain defense satellites indefinitely at a jump point.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 07:59:25 PM by Outrojection »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #436 on: September 03, 2020, 08:21:07 PM »
Quote from: Droll link=topic=11545. msg140624#msg140624 date=1599178181
Im assuming that you have set the minimum value of the supply ships correctly.  How much time did you wait for the MSP to be transferred when you decided it wasn't working?
I had a similar problem with tankers and fuel until I realized that I need to wait hours not minutes of game time.

Additionally, resupply from supply ships probably didnt work because both the base and the ships are considered supply vessels, ergo they will supply the rest of the fleet but not eachother since they are all above their minimum supply.  This might be annoying micro but try to set the base design to be not a supply ship and see if the problem persists.  Once it is filled up and the supply ships have left you can redesignate the base as a supply ship.  (you dont need to unlock the design to mess around with designations like tanker, collier and supply).  You could also try to set the minimum supply of the base to 100% MSP and then move it back once the supply is done.

Minimum fuel and supply was set to zero on the base.
10% fuel, zero supply for the ships.
I hit 30 day increment after issuing the orders, game stopped and gave me the message than the fleet had completed its order to resupply the base after a few seconds.  When I reissue the orders, sometimes it stops after 5 seconds, sometimes it takes 2 minutes, sometimes 6 hours.

Just tried unticking the "supply ship" option for the base design and played with the minimum supplies, the ships still won't top off its MSP when ordered, neither with the "resupply from own supply ships" order, nor with the "join & resupply target fleet" order.

However, if I:
Untick the the supply ship box on the base design
Merge the resupply base with the resupply ships
Have the resupply ships set to "resupply own fleet"
Wait

The supply ships will slowly fill the base's MSP. Unfortunately this is an unacceptable amount for micromanagement for something that should be trivial, and I don't know how to automate it. I'm now trying to figure out a better way to maintain defense satellites indefinitely at a jump point.

The only thing I can say is that you should:
Make a big boy tug
Make a big boy maintenance storage module
(Bonus) make a rec facility module for the military def satellites
Tug your modules to the JP

Your big boy maintenance storage module should ideally hold tons of MSP for multiple years which you would top up every now and again. This should make the micro for it somewhat more manageable.

One thing you should know about "orders completed" in this context, it does not mean that the resupply has finished - it merely means that the ships have arrived at the resupply destination or that they have begun the resupply. If you re-order the resupply immediately after they are essentially interrupted. Try giving them the order, then waiting sometime after you get the "orders completed" message. At least this is kind of the problem I seemed to have when figuring out tankers refueling fleets.

Offline Outrojection

• Leading Rate
  • O
« Reply #437 on: September 03, 2020, 09:27:30 PM »
Make a big boy tug

Your big boy maintenance storage module should ideally hold tons of MSP for multiple years which you would top up every now and again. This should make the micro for it somewhat more manageable.

One thing you should know about "orders completed" in this context, it does not mean that the resupply has finished - it merely means that the ships have arrived at the resupply destination or that they have begun the resupply. If you re-order the resupply immediately after they are essentially interrupted. Try giving them the order, then waiting sometime after you get the "orders completed" message. At least this is kind of the problem I seemed to have when figuring out tankers refueling fleets.

That's exactly what I have currently have going on. What I'm trying to do is top off the MSP since it's been maintaining my satellites for years.

I'm certain that's not how the order works because I've tried passing time after they complete the order and MSP simply does not get resupplied even after months have passed. Whereas if I merge them into one fleet and undesignate the base as a supply ship, it gets its MSP refilled in days.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #438 on: September 03, 2020, 09:35:41 PM »
Make a big boy tug

That's exactly what I have currently have going on. What I'm trying to do is top off the MSP since it's been maintaining my satellites for years.

I'm certain that's not how the order works because I've tried passing time after they complete the order and MSP simply does not get resupplied even after months have passed. Whereas if I merge them into one fleet and undesignate the base as a supply ship, it gets its MSP refilled in days.

If you aren't already doing it I recommend you create a sub-fleet out of your supply ships and detach/merge them as appropriate. It will reduce the amount of micro needed with multiple supply ships.

Offline Outrojection

• Leading Rate
  • O
« Reply #439 on: September 03, 2020, 09:43:23 PM »
After some digging into the C# forums it seems that there's currently no way for supply ships to transfer MSP to another supply ship. And no way to transfer MSP to another fleet without joining it.

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #440 on: September 08, 2020, 06:20:45 PM »
I have a few questions:

1)Can you transfer ground forces between a mother ship and their parasite craft w/o unloading on a planet first?

2) Some quick math tells me 6xHS1 Gauss cannons are better (more hits per incoming volley) then 1xHS6 gauss cannon, is this correct?

3) How is tracking speed calculated?
3a) is it "simple" "Tracking speed Vs Target Speed"?
3b) or "tracking speed Vs (Target speed - your speed)"
3c) or complex " tracking speed Vs Hypotenuse (Target Speed And barring & your speed and barring"
3d) side question: technically if a missile is heading straight at you, no deviation in the X or Z coordinate it should require a Tracking speed of 0 (it's technically stationary on the X & Z coordinate) is this simulated in game?

Sorry for the technical questions, by my physics degree demands that i know how this works or it will not let me sleep.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #441 on: September 08, 2020, 07:29:56 PM »
I have a few questions:

1)Can you transfer ground forces between a mother ship and their parasite craft w/o unloading on a planet first?

2) Some quick math tells me 6xHS1 Gauss cannons are better (more hits per incoming volley) then 1xHS6 gauss cannon, is this correct?

3c) or complex " tracking speed Vs Hypotenuse (Target Speed And barring & your speed and barring"
3d) side question: technically if a missile is heading straight at you, no deviation in the X or Z coordinate it should require a Tracking speed of 0 (it's technically stationary on the X & Z coordinate) is this simulated in game?

Sorry for the technical questions, by my physics degree demands that i know how this works or it will not let me sleep.

More accurate and by extension larger turrets are better against few large salvos, however many smaller less accurate guns are better against many smaller salvos. The latter scenario tends to be more common ergo more prefer the more numerous smaller guns.

Tracking speed does not do any physical calculations. The only things you should be concerned about are the speed of your targets and the tracking of your weapons.

Your weapon tracking is a - your racial tracking tech/ship speed (larger of the two) and BFC tracking or b - turret tracking and BFC tracking.

In combat your effective tracking speed vs. enemy speed is important, i believe it is a linear scale so if your tracking is half their speed thats a 50% accuracy malus (your tracking/target speed). There are no special case exceptions involving missiles or some other stuff.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 07:41:36 PM by Droll »

The following users thanked this post: ArcWolf

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #442 on: September 08, 2020, 07:39:55 PM »
I have a few questions:

I don't think there is currently a way to transfer troops between ships in the same fleet.
I think there should be an order to transfer troops between ships in different fleets, I might be mistaken.

This is a matter of debate, there are threads and threads about it.

Ship tracking speed is the higher of the ship speed or the racial tracking speed (as determined by your tech).
Note that you need a fire control which can meet or exceed that, otherwise you are capped by the fire control speed.
If target is faster than your tracking speed then you get a penalty to hit, there are no differences due to approach angle or whatever.
The base chance to hit depends on the distance to the target and your fire control range modifier.

my physics degree demands that i know how this works
The fluff is that ships are built with trans-newtonian elements so there isn't any chance of using real life physics to explain things. 

The following users thanked this post: ArcWolf

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #443 on: September 08, 2020, 08:46:50 PM »
Any ship with an officer with a tactics bonus should have smaller than full-size gauss cannons, because you cannot have over 100% accuracy, so their bonus is wasted on full size guns.

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #444 on: September 08, 2020, 09:23:41 PM »
Thank you Migi & Droll for the answers

Quote from: Barkhorn link=topic=11545. msg140715#msg140715 date=1599616010
Any ship with an officer with a tactics bonus should have smaller than full-size gauss cannons, because you cannot have over 100% accuracy, so their bonus is wasted on full size guns.

did not realize tactics bonus helps with THC/Accuracy, probably should have, but did not.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #445 on: September 14, 2020, 03:22:53 PM »
When you have a squadron of dropships dock inside a carrier that way collectively carrying a single ground unit, will that ground unit be able to just stay in said dropship squadron or does the carrier need space for the ground unit?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #446 on: September 14, 2020, 03:39:04 PM »
When you have a squadron of dropships dock inside a carrier that way collectively carrying a single ground unit, will that ground unit be able to just stay in said dropship squadron or does the carrier need space for the ground unit?

Ground units in shuttles stay in shuttles after docking so carrier does not need any troop transport capacity.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #447 on: September 14, 2020, 03:53:23 PM »

Ground units in shuttles stay in shuttles after docking so carrier does not need any troop transport capacity.
Probably pretty gamey but cool nonetheless.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #448 on: September 14, 2020, 05:55:51 PM »

Probably pretty gamey but cool nonetheless.

Why? Their shuttles have all the needed facilities to house them, they don't just turn that off the moment they enter the hangar.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #449 on: September 15, 2020, 02:47:38 AM »

That is true in some instances, but only of you track the missiles at full speed. So if your Gauss track at 16000km/s and the missile comes in at 24000km/s you still get benefit from the officer as the officer add their skill to the calculation as part of the whole calculation.