Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 361538 times)

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #1140 on: January 15, 2021, 10:56:50 AM »
Does anyone actually use particle beams/lances? If so, what are they actually useful for? I rarely (I dont think i have ever seen.) see them brought up in any discussion.

Plasma weaponry lives or dies by speed. If you’re faster than your target you can hold the range at the edge of your envelope. At this range you will massively out dps any other beam weapon that can reach you. If you’re slower, your only real hope is that your opening strike, which should deal significantly more than the opfor’s, will swing the fight enough in your favor before they close range.

Plasma Lances on the other hand are simply fantastic. The earliest Lance you can build deals 12 damage all to a single armor column, so if it has 11 or less layers of armor you score internal on the 1st shot. I love combining them with rail beam fighter swarms. Leaves a couple of gaping wounds for rail shots to hit without sandpapering the armor off.

Wait there is a difference between Particle Lances and Particle Beams?

Offline Squigles

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #1141 on: January 15, 2021, 11:23:14 AM »

Wait there is a difference between Particle Lances and Particle Beams?

Particle Lances show up as a research option after you research particle damage 6 and range 150k or 200k I think, costs 30k RP or so. Particle Lances are a modifier you can apply when designing a particle beam. Makes it larger, cost more to build and research and so on. It also doubles the damage and turns the template into a single line instead of spreading.

I’d go dig up the link for you, but I’m at work on a tablet, lol. It’s in the C# mechanics topic, one of the new things that got added for C#.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #1142 on: January 15, 2021, 11:40:10 AM »
Oh. Ok then.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1143 on: January 15, 2021, 11:48:20 AM »
Do CIWS have an EM footprint similar to whatever active sensor was installed in them?

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #1144 on: January 15, 2021, 12:21:32 PM »
Do CIWS have an EM footprint similar to whatever active sensor was installed in them?

No... the sensor are probably deemed too weak to have any impact on a ships EM signature.

Offline Gabrote42

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • G
  • Waiting until I have the Time to play.
« Reply #1145 on: January 15, 2021, 04:03:39 PM »
Is it practical to put thermal reduction on large, overclocked capital ship engines?
No, but doing it in point defence pickets and some kinds of bombers is very worth it.
Also, any actives are gonna be seen from miles away.
Everyone asks me why I like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  In actuality, my username predates my knowledge of the books.

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #1146 on: January 15, 2021, 10:18:02 PM »
If the speed of the ship exceeds the tracking speed of the fire control does the ship's speed override the FC tracking?

I'm trying to make a 125 ton fighter, but I can't fit in the beam fire control and the gauss cannon.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #1147 on: January 15, 2021, 10:37:18 PM »
If the speed of the ship exceeds the tracking speed of the fire control does the ship's speed override the FC tracking?

I'm trying to make a 125 ton fighter, but I can't fit in the beam fire control and the gauss cannon.

Tracking speed rules are consistently one of the more confusing things in Aurora.

Basically, a weapon has a tracking speed and a fire control has a tracking speed, and the actual tracking speed is whichever is smaller.

Weapon tracking speed is turret speed if turreted, or the LARGER of racial tracking speed (i.e. the highest fire control tracking speed tech you have researched) and hull speed if unturreted.

So if I have 2000km/s tracking speed tech, all my hull mounted weapons track at at least 2000km/s. But if my fire control is only 1250km/s for whatever reason, I only get to use 1250km/s tracking speed.

Fire control tracking speed is fire control tracking speed

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #1148 on: January 15, 2021, 10:37:34 PM »

No. Here is the formula:

Code: [Select]
max(racial tracking speed,
    min(fire control tracking speed,
        or(turret tracking speed,
           ship speed)))

If that's too terse for you, you can think of it like this: If the weapone you are firing is in a turret, use the turret speed, otherwise use the ship speed. Then compare that with the fire control tracking speed, and take the lower value. Then compare that with the racial tracking speed and take the higher value. The result is the tracking speed that is used to calculate the chance of hitting the target.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982, Borealis4x

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #1149 on: January 15, 2021, 10:41:56 PM »

No. Here is the formula:

ship speed)))

If that's too terse for you, you can think of it like this: If the weapone you are firing is in a turret, use the turret speed, otherwise use the ship speed. Then compare that with the fire control tracking speed, and take the lower value. Then compare that with the racial tracking speed and take the higher value. The result is the tracking speed that is used to calculate the chance of hitting the target.

A very clear explaination, well done.

Offline Squigles

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #1150 on: January 16, 2021, 02:39:04 AM »

No. Here is the formula:

ship speed)))

Unless I misunderstand how tracking works, I think your more verbose explanation would start with “If the weapon you are firing is in a turret, use the turret speed, otherwise use the higher of ship speed OR racial tracking speed”.

Then further down completely omit reference to racial tracking speed.

The way you have it worded would imply that if the racial tracking speed is higher than the fire control tracking speed you could track faster than the BFC (I don’t think you can). It would also imply that the racial tracking speed could override a turret that is slower than the racial tracking speed (I don’t think it can).

Or, in summation “If the weapon you are firing is a turret, use the turret speed, otherwise use the higher of ship speed OR racial tracking speed. Then compare that with fire control tracking speed, and take the lower value. The result is the tracking speed that is used to calculate the chance of hitting the target.”

If I have this wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Offline dersavage

• Chief Petty Officer
  • d
« Reply #1151 on: January 16, 2021, 06:25:20 AM »
I accidentally clicked 'obsolete' button on MAINTENANCE MODULE. Is it possible to undo this action?

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
« Reply #1152 on: January 16, 2021, 06:47:11 AM »
I accidentally clicked 'obsolete' button on MAINTENANCE MODULE. Is it possible to undo this action?

you can show obsolete components by clicking the obsolete checkmark under the list, then if you select it and obsolete it again it will put it back in the normal list

The following users thanked this post: dersavage

Offline MuthaF

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #1153 on: January 16, 2021, 07:42:53 AM »
Any way to spawn Invader or Precursors beside random gen and creating new empire?
Would really really love to have option to Create Precursor Fleet/Base along the Create Swarm option. .

Also, im guessing still no solution to campaign ending in permanent 6 hrs intervals [probably] because some AI ship ran out of fuel in system with other AI/Spoiler presence? [last guy who got this on forums at least had DB access to find and delete the offending fleet]
I mean i finally got campaign going that isnt full of Null reference errors but its unplayable due to 6hrs issue.  Game month now takes around 40 minutes in real time. . .  *sigh*
Also, only way to get DB access is PM to Steve, right?
Thx

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #1154 on: January 16, 2021, 08:53:27 AM »
Any way to spawn Invader or Precursors beside random gen and creating new empire?
Would really really love to have option to Create Precursor Fleet/Base along the Create Swarm option. .

Also, im guessing still no solution to campaign ending in permanent 6 hrs intervals [probably] because some AI ship ran out of fuel in system with other AI/Spoiler presence? [last guy who got this on forums at least had DB access to find and delete the offending fleet]
I mean i finally got campaign going that isnt full of Null reference errors but its unplayable due to 6hrs issue.  Game month now takes around 40 minutes in real time. . .  *sigh*
Also, only way to get DB access is PM to Steve, right?
Thx

The database is currently unrestricted - all you need is a DB viewer and you can look at whatever you want. Of course, editing it is a good way to destroy your saved game, so be careful (and take backups) before you do anything in there.