Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 273310 times)

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2020, 10:10:48 AM »
Is it possible to implement dependance between generated officers age and rank?
Now, Aurora generates 20y.o. officers only. It's ok, when they are naval lieughtenants. It's quite strange, when they are lieughtenant commanders and majors (default rank scheme). It's a major disbilieve disaster when they are (pregenerated) higher commanders, research leaders and high-level administrators.

I'l be happy to see the commission ages increase to 23+-1y.o., and a distribution of pregenerated ranks between this age and mean retire age (smth about 75 y.o.) correspondingly to the ranks quantity in this branch.

Offline 01010100

• Chief Petty Officer
  • ?
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2020, 10:10:58 AM »
It would be great if we could give standing and conditional orders to admin commands, this would allow for easy automation. This change can be implemented by adding the appropriate columns for such orders to the admin commands. Assuming the current code looks something like this:

Code: [Select]
void CheckConditionalOrders(Fleet fleet)
{
    CheckFirstConditionalOrder(fleet);
    CheckSecondConditionalOrder(fleet);
}

then changing the code to something like this would work:

{

var current = fleet;
    while (current.HasParent())
    {
        current = current.Parent;
        CheckFirstConditionalOrder(current);
        CheckSecondConditionalOrder(current);
    }
}

The while loop would keep going up the command hierarchy and check conditional orders attached to the admin commands. This would allow us to effectively add more than 2 conditional orders to a fleet. It would also simplify setting up conditional orders for, say, survey fleets since the orders can be entered at the admin command level and all that needs to be done to have a fleet operate as a survey fleet is just to attach it to that command.

The following users thanked this post: DFNewb, Alsadius, Peregrine, Resand, Taino2

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2020, 10:20:00 AM »
You might want to limit the zoom out level to something sensible, like the known size of the universe, factoring expansion (so 45 billions LY right?) Because I managed to reach distance no one can fathoms, with a lot of zero. Aurora did not crash though  ;D

The following users thanked this post: db48x, Peregrine, JuergenSchT

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2020, 10:21:46 AM »
It would be great if we could give standing and conditional orders to admin commands, this would allow for easy automation. This change can be implemented by adding the appropriate columns for such orders to the admin commands. Assuming the current code looks something like this:

{
}

then changing the code to something like this would work:

{

var current = fleet;
    while (current.HasParent())
    {
        current = current.Parent;
        CheckFirstConditionalOrder(current);
        CheckSecondConditionalOrder(current);
    }
}

The while loop would keep going up the command hierarchy and check conditional orders attached to the admin commands. This would allow us to effectively add more than 2 conditional orders to a fleet. It would also simplify setting up conditional orders for, say, survey fleets since the orders can be entered at the admin command level and all that needs to be done to have a fleet operate as a survey fleet is just to attach it to that command.

As it is right now with split into single ships command not passing on the orders to the new fleets like it did in VB, this would be a nice change cause right now it requires more effort than in VB.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2020, 10:46:21 AM »
- When starting on a conventional game I noted that all of my officers and admin started at 20 years old. Seems like there are some serious over achievers in my navy! I've also seen officers retiring at the age of 31 or 32 which also seems pretty slack. Perhaps add five years to the age of a person for each rank they have?

Is it possible to implement dependance between generated officers age and rank?
Now, Aurora generates 20y.o. officers only. It's ok, when they are naval lieughtenants. It's quite strange, when they are lieughtenant commanders and majors (default rank scheme). It's a major disbilieve disaster when they are (pregenerated) higher commanders, research leaders and high-level administrators.

I'l be happy to see the commission ages increase to 23+-1y.o., and a distribution of pregenerated ranks between this age and mean retire age (smth about 75 y.o.) correspondingly to the ranks quantity in this branch.

No, it's a terrible idea.  Then we'd be right back where we were before, where 90% of the officer corps would retire before the first ship was launched.

(And retirement already includes rank effects, see http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg104038;topicseen#msg104038)

- - - - - -

Also, I don't particularly like that officers are locked into human lifespan/working ages.   It's much more important to me that Aurora adds Racial Lifespan / Maturity / Health settings than fixes the one small case that all officers are generated at 20 years of age.

= = = = =

Besides, Admiral Sun Rising was a ship's Captain at five years of age, and an Admiral by fourteen.  So Aurora is perfectly "realistic" after all.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2020, 10:55:55 AM »
Quote from: Veneke link=topic=10640. msg121664#msg121664 date=1586785471
Can an option be added to copy the design of a ground formation?

I find that I use the same protection detail for my geo/xeno/construction ground forces.  Being able to copy one and then just swap out the different vehicles would be quicker.

The game has no lower limit on how small/granular your formations can get.  You can do what I did and create an infantry company with like 200 men for example, train your xeno archeology and company, then assign the company under the archeologists in the hierarchy.  This does warrant some level of micro and needs 2 facilities though due to how assignment and training works.

Along a similar vein it would be very nice if there was a way to make it so that larger templates could have smaller formations as part of its template.  So when im designing a battalion I can say that I want 4 companies to be trained alongside it as well as any units on the battalion level.  This either takes up all the training facilities or if there are less than 5 available it adds units to the queue.  (a ground unit queue would actually be very nice)

The following users thanked this post: Veneke, Sigarr

Offline WSoxfan86

• Leading Rate
  • W
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2020, 11:04:27 AM »
I don't think there needs to be a set age range for each rank, but it also is weird to only have 20-year old officers at the start of the game.  Maybe the first retirement check shouldn't happen until a certain amount (say 70%) of officers have a command? That would stop 90% of officers leaving before you're ready, while allowing for a better age distribution at the start.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2020, 12:13:39 PM »
I just noticed that the stats on ground units do not update with the latest racial weapon and armor levels.

There needs to be some kind of system in place that allows us to "retrofit" ground templates en masse.  Otherwise i need to delete my entire army to upgrade them to a new tech level and consequently redo the entire hierarchy tree.

This could be some thing like infantry base types being able to retrofit into non-obsolete infantry sharing the same weapon type or larger vehicles being able to retrofit into non-obsolete vehicles sharing the same primary component.

Or it could just be that its automatic and free and ground units are always as strong as the racial armor and weapon values and are updated when tech increases.

The only issue would be with STOs since they use space weapons but you could then just have it so they can retrofit to a non-obsolete weapon of the players choice. 

No idea how retrofitting costs would be calculated in a fair way.

The following users thanked this post: Sigarr, smoelf, DEEPenergy, Peregrine

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2020, 12:33:44 PM »
I just noticed that the stats on ground units do not update with the latest racial weapon and armor levels.

There needs to be some kind of system in place that allows us to "retrofit" ground templates en masse. . .

Refit to upgrade, yes.  Free & automatic upgrade, no.  Rifles don't just turn into better rifles.

The following users thanked this post: Sigarr, Droll

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2020, 12:44:08 PM »

There needs to be some kind of system in place that allows us to "retrofit" ground templates en masse. . .

Refit to upgrade, yes.  Free & automatic upgrade, no.  Rifles don't just turn into better rifles.

Ideally what you say is right, im just providing options in case there is some technical complication.

Offline serger

• Commodore
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2020, 01:05:37 PM »
No, it's a terrible idea.  Then we'd be right back where we were before, where 90% of the officer corps would retire before the first ship was launched.
And what's wrong with it? Starting with aerospace forces, they nearly should retire before the first ship was launched, younger ones will get their places, that's ok.

Offline SirCookie

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • S
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2020, 01:52:53 PM »
It would be nice if the events would show up on the map, its little bit hard to keep track about what happens on a notebook without it.  And it should not be to hard to implement this. 

Offline Vivalas

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • V
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2020, 02:06:05 PM »
In VB6 pretty sure the retirement was because of inactivity, not age. The 20yo officers really are quite silly.

Offline GhostIsGone

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2020, 02:10:04 PM »
Quote from: SirCookie link=topic=10640. msg121883#msg121883 date=1586803973
It would be nice if the events would show up on the map, its little bit hard to keep track about what happens on a notebook without it.   And it should not be to hard to implement this. 

If it weren't hard to do then it would have been included in the patch already, just sit tight, it's a known issue which will be fixed when it gets fixed :-)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2020, 02:45:59 PM »
It would be nice if when you add a company name to a tech item, when you design a new item of that type it auto-fills the previous company name.

I.E. Create an active search sensor with the company name of Acme. When you got to update it, Acme gets autopopulated in the company name.

The following users thanked this post: nhb1986