Author Topic: Fun mistake  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Kristover (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Fun mistake
« on: December 13, 2020, 09:53:28 AM »
So in all my games to date, I never put a colony on a Comet.  Sure, CMCs have setup on comets before but I never had a reason till this game - large relatively slow comet with a population cap of 7 million and an absolutely large amount of Sorium, Vendarite, and Mercassium at .8 accessibility and higher.  Within two years, I built up a colony of 6 million, mines and mass drivers, and a small naval station with fighters, AWACS, and a search and rescue LAC.  All good!  Until all of a sudden I started getting unrest due to overpopulation.  I was like, ‘Wait a minute!?!?’ And then discovered that as a comet moved further away from the sun, things get colder and habitability drops precipitously.  I suppose I could pump in a bunch more LG infrastructure (at huge cost) and flag the body as not a source/destination for colonist but I ended up pulling the colonists and the Naval Station and replacing with automated mines.  Lesson learned.

The following users thanked this post: db48x, StarshipCactus

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Fun mistake
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 10:01:03 AM »
What you could have also done is put an orbital habitat around the comet. The great thing about orbital habitats is that they don't care about the changing colony cost or the carrying capacity.

I've got a comet with 2.1m carrying capacity to house 100m colonists this way.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 12:16:37 PM »
That must be quite a sight - a gigantic cluster of orbital habitats completely covering the comet!

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 12:21:21 PM »
Dyson Swarm: Comet edition.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 04:45:54 PM »
That must be quite a sight - a gigantic cluster of orbital habitats completely covering the comet!

I like to think of it as a small version of an ecumenopolis, with the comet being progressively expanded on layer by layer.

I really like having different types of orbital habitats - those that are smaller and designed to be towed, and those that are colossal and really should be built at their destination like the artificial moon (1bn people, 2.5bn tons).

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 04:49:36 PM »
Honestly i never understood why we couldnt have orbital habitats around stars. If you can have them around something that moves in and out of the system. Why not around something that barely move at all?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 06:54:29 PM »
Honestly i never understood why we couldnt have orbital habitats around stars. If you can have them around something that moves in and out of the system. Why not around something that barely move at all?

Well stars don't exist in aurora as system bodies, there was a discussion regarding deep space orbital habitats a while ago which touched on some way to just put habitats in the middle of nowhere or on a JP and act as colonies that way.

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 07:06:16 PM »
I would like that feature personally.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 07:29:08 PM »
I would like that feature personally.

Enter SM mode and add a tiny asteroid somewhere, then you can send orbital habitats to it.