Author Topic: Cold War Comments Thread  (Read 73463 times)

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Cold War Comments Thread
« Reply #630 on: November 24, 2022, 08:10:05 AM »
It looks like I wasn't understanding Alliance politics fully.
I genuinely thought, that Torqual, Doraz and Zir already became Alliance internal members.
That changes a lot.

I haven't done an update in a while, so I probably haven't made this clear.  The Torqual, Doraz, and Zir are all HT-8 right now, and all three recently achieved that tech level.  The Alliance recently reached HT-10.  To be amalgamated into the Alliance, the associates have to be at an equivalent tech level, so it will be some time before they can be integrated.  The Alliance is helping all three with their research efforts, but even so it will take time. 

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #631 on: November 24, 2022, 10:51:07 AM »
I haven't done an update in a while, so I probably haven't made this clear.  The Torqual, Doraz, and Zir are all HT-8 right now, and all three recently achieved that tech level.  The Alliance recently reached HT-10.  To be amalgamated into the Alliance, the associates have to be at an equivalent tech level, so it will be some time before they can be integrated.  The Alliance is helping all three with their research efforts, but even so it will take time.

I always used the house rule that was suggested somewhere of when you uplift a low tech race (pre-ind, ind1 or ind2) you bring them to your tech level otherwise they were pointless fluff, and GFFP kicks in (for the uninitiated that's Genocide For Fun and Profit - basically wipe hem out and steal their stuff and planet).  The rational being why teach them transistors when you can teach molycircs.

Can't remember the official rules for a helping a HT race, but I'd probably do something similar, either a direct bump up or otherwise massively accelerated R&D, otherwise the time it takes can be longer than a normal game.

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #632 on: November 24, 2022, 02:02:23 PM »

I always used the house rule that was suggested somewhere of when you uplift a low tech race (pre-ind, ind1 or ind2) you bring them to your tech level otherwise they were pointless fluff, and GFFP kicks in (for the uninitiated that's Genocide For Fun and Profit - basically wipe hem out and steal their stuff and planet).  The rational being why teach them transistors when you can teach molycircs.

Can't remember the official rules for a helping a HT race, but I'd probably do something similar, either a direct bump up or otherwise massively accelerated R&D, otherwise the time it takes can be longer than a normal game.

The current rules allow a higher tech race with a trade or better relationship to assist the tech research of the lower tech race, giving them a 150% research rate.  They still have to research items at each tech level, though.  The Alliance will likely be able to amalgamate the Torqual and the Doraz in a reasonable amount of time at this point, but their other associates are so low tech that I don't think it can be done in a reasonable number of turns. 

I understand your points, but for a solo campaign being heavily role-played, like the Cold War campaign, I can find all sorts of reasons to avoid GFFP for most of my races. 

Kurt

The following users thanked this post: Shinanygnz, StarshipCactus

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #633 on: December 10, 2022, 05:47:07 PM »
So either the Lothari are crazy/incompetent or they think they have a gamechanger given time. Or both.
I can't think of a tech advance which could be a game changer, and I think the Lothari were in a dead end so new ally /Closed warp point seems unlikely , so looks bad for them

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #634 on: December 11, 2022, 08:27:22 AM »
So either the Lothari are crazy/incompetent or they think they have a gamechanger given time. Or both.
I can't think of a tech advance which could be a game changer, and I think the Lothari were in a dead end so new ally /Closed warp point seems unlikely , so looks bad for them

Or they are led by a crazy dictator, who thinks he can continue to manipulate the entire universe.  <G>

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #635 on: December 11, 2022, 01:49:39 PM »

Or they are led by a crazy dictator, who thinks he can continue to manipulate the entire universe.  <G>
The  Crazy/incompetent option it is. If I was the diplomat for the mad great dictator I would keep talking as long as possible rather than admit failure

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #636 on: December 13, 2022, 08:41:50 AM »

The  Crazy/incompetent option it is. If I was the diplomat for the mad great dictator I would keep talking as long as possible rather than admit failure
I would agree with that but narratively that likely isn't the case. Recall that the D'bringi Empire got help from some sus aliens so maybe he's waiting for help from them? Or some other glorious wunderwaffe. Possibly they're just slathering their home WP in minefields, that'd be my guess.

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #637 on: December 13, 2022, 10:24:38 AM »

I would agree with that but narratively that likely isn't the case. Recall that the D'bringi Empire got help from some sus aliens so maybe he's waiting for help from them? Or some other glorious wunderwaffe. Possibly they're just slathering their home WP in minefields, that'd be my guess.
They had a lot of Gunboats and fighters to repalce which is expensive and explains some delay's  but mining the wp and other defenses are not enough to give them any real chance for victory so either the Great Leader expects diplomacy to work because he says so! and the ambassador is stalling for his own interests , or as you suggest intervention by an outside power is a possibility we have seen no sign of that and the Lothari are in a cul-de-sac so a new arrival or strategic breakthrough is unlikely.
The most likely is the Glorious Leader has a GREAT PLAN and they are setting that up which is probably doomed

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #638 on: December 13, 2022, 04:53:16 PM »

They had a lot of Gunboats and fighters to repalce which is expensive and explains some delay's  but mining the wp and other defenses are not enough to give them any real chance for victory so either the Great Leader expects diplomacy to work because he says so! and the ambassador is stalling for his own interests , or as you suggest intervention by an outside power is a possibility we have seen no sign of that and the Lothari are in a cul-de-sac so a new arrival or strategic breakthrough is unlikely.
The most likely is the Glorious Leader has a GREAT PLAN and they are setting that up which is probably doomed

Mining the warp point, or even moving bases to defend the warp point would be defeatist and might cause the people to question the Leader's conduct of the war.  Can't have that!

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #639 on: December 13, 2022, 04:57:48 PM »
Truly the Great Leader will lead us to victory with his Brilliant and offensive plans, we should not doubt his glorious victory. Or his secret police

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #640 on: December 14, 2022, 10:21:17 AM »
Truly the Great Leader will lead us to victory with his Brilliant and offensive plans, we should not doubt his glorious victory. Or his secret police

Now you're getting it!  All hail the Great Leader!

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #641 on: December 17, 2022, 02:13:46 AM »
All hail the Great Leader!

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #642 on: January 02, 2023, 11:59:58 AM »
Admiral Weber defeated by a massed missile pod attack of very long range missiles, how ironic

The following users thanked this post: Hawkeye, Gyrfalcon

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #643 on: January 02, 2023, 03:08:34 PM »
IIRC Kurt, you were going to experiment with a system to deal with these huge small craft battles - how'd it go?

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
« Reply #644 on: January 03, 2023, 07:42:46 AM »
So, is there a tactical counter to SBM pod spam? Because basically 15 destroyers wiped out an entire fleet on their own - if they had a full complement of pods, it would have been a total wipe.