Author Topic: The Suns Never Set - Comments Thread  (Read 10445 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
The Suns Never Set - Comments Thread
« on: September 02, 2021, 08:42:14 AM »
Please post any comments in this thread.

The following users thanked this post: Neophyte

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: The Suns Never Set - Comments Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 12:42:54 PM »
Excellent, a right proper British Empire AAR. I expect nothing but the finest in nationalistic fervor, imperialist boot-heels, and of course light refreshments.

In honor of this I feel obligated to re-post the following terrible photoshop for the amusement of all:

Interesting setup with the two different ASMs this early. Personally I'd love to see what could be done with box launchers/VLS on the larger ships, but given the era and more importantly the complete lack of other player-controlled races that would be a bit silly of an idea in this AAR. Maybe in the next one!

Looks like the commander rank for the Astraea class might be a misclick, by the way.  ;)

The geological survey was very disappointing with no suitable mining sites. Mars, Mercury, Earth’s moon and the Galilean moons of Jupiter were all entirely devoid of mineral deposits.

From a reader perspective - excellent! A strong early economic motivation to expand rapidly out of Sol makes for an entertaining read.

Loving the introduction of ASW to deal with the Corsair incursions. Another different tactic, even compared to the last WH40K campaign, and we shall get to see how effective it might be.

Establishment of good relations with the Space French Beershebae is an interesting and contrasting development. With the requests to honor territory well-received, this could be the beginning of a strong alliance, or an opportunity to expand the Empire, depending on the temperament of our British protagonists.

I will admit an interest in seeing how the British Army is developing in the TN era, obviously the Royal Navy is first and foremost but the Army cannot be neglected given the dangerous forces which lie in wait...

The following users thanked this post: Warer, Migi

Offline Drakale

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • D
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 02:23:11 PM »
Are diplomatic station/ships being considered neutral in contested territory a new addition or was that always the case? I had no idea you could do that without eventually getting a nice nuclear welcome gift from the aliens.

Very cool start of the campaign, I like this new iteration of the raiders better already.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 02:30:51 PM »
My favorite theme from Steve, British Empire in space. :) Looking forward to next part! Unfortunate, that Sol is void of resources, but it will provide more action as the Empire will have to be aggressive with expansion. I am curious how well will Empire fare with all missile armament.

I like the new approach to Corsairs and their aggressive move to attack in Sol. Fate of the HMS Apollo and HMS Thetis shows that armed survey ships might be better idea in 2.0 than in earlier versions and that makes me happy as that is how I prefer to build my survey ships.

Interesting setup with the two different ASMs this early. Personally I'd love to see what could be done with box launchers/VLS on the larger ships, but given the era and more importantly the complete lack of other player-controlled races that would be a bit silly of an idea in this AAR. Maybe in the next one!

NATO vs USSR would be excellent theme for VLS/Box launchers, coincidentally my second favorite from the VB6 past. :) Maybe for version 2.1. ?

The following users thanked this post: papent

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 05:39:25 PM »
Are diplomatic station/ships being considered neutral in contested territory a new addition or was that always the case? I had no idea you could do that without eventually getting a nice nuclear welcome gift from the aliens.

Very cool start of the campaign, I like this new iteration of the raiders better already.

Its always been the case, but there was a bug in earlier versions that caused the aliens to issue warnings, even though diplomatic status was unaffected.

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 05:48:12 PM »
, and of course light refreshments.
BritCo might have to jump dimensions to break into more friendly markets indeed~

Great to finally have another Steve AAR!

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 08:33:07 AM »
, and of course light refreshments.
BritCo might have to jump dimensions to break into more friendly markets indeed~

Great to finally have another Steve AAR!
Trading tea to alien empires for fun and profit.
Technically a recreational drug, if the Xenos demand it but their government deems it illegal it is our duty to ensure the finest quality product is sent to our poor suffering Alien friends.
Perhaps an intergalactic tea war shall ensue, who knows.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Neophyte

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 08:42:53 AM »
Aw yiss a new AAR!

I think it's funny how close the Darwin's Star side is due to the jump points, making systems three hops take less time to get to than any of the neighboring Sol systems.

"Hullo Charles, where are you off to?
"Ah Percy me old bean! Just popping 'round to Argos Colony to get a new hoverperambulator for the missus.  Back in time for supper at the club tonight!"
"Jolly good, see you then!"

The following users thanked this post: unkfester

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 11:28:30 AM »
Trading tea to alien empires for fun and profit.
Technically a recreational drug, if the Xenos demand it but their government deems it illegal it is our duty to ensure the finest quality product is sent to our poor suffering Alien friends.
Perhaps an intergalactic tea war shall ensue, who knows.

We need treaty ports in Aurora, @Steve plz

The following users thanked this post: El Pip, BAGrimm, Warer

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 05:29:57 PM »
Losing 25% of your survey fleet in 2 years is pretty bad for your ability to expand, the fact that you replaced them only hides the cost.

However as you are (thus far) using missile ships against beam ships, you could make an armed version of the Apollo by ripping out the survey sensors and jump drive and filling the hole with missile launchers.
Alternatively I was wondering how much hanger space you could get from the above and carry some Havock class destroyers with you?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 10:37:49 AM »
Update, hooray!  ;D

With the temperature range between -90C and 110C, the planet would still need infrastructure and was likely to have a final colony cost around 0.70 due to tide-locking. The water cycle was complex, with the planet going through frozen, liquid and vapour hydrosphere types at different points of its orbit, but the time spent in the hottest part of the orbit was not sufficient to evaporate more than a small fraction of the surface water.

Sounds like the new changes to terraforming and hydrosphere are working really nicely, then.

Ze Space Germans seem suitably intimidating. It is unfortunate that engagements with the Corsairs will keep our fleet from properly establishing relations with them, of one sort or another. I am wondering if these are Precursors or just a normal NPR with large ships, we shall see.

I am liking the effectiveness of STOs against the Corsairs shown in this update. Another viable method to defend our outlying colonies even if STOs are obviously not able to chase them down and drive them out of the system.

And so it seems that the Space Italians will be played by The Swarm in this episode. This is likely to pose a serious challenge to the Admiralty, particularly in terms of logistics as the distant and inhospitable Cyrene system seems to be the necessary place to defend against any incursions to prevent these aliens from expanding into other explored systems. I do think the Royal Navy will have the necessary ships available to meet this threat, at least on defensive footing, but they will be stretched very thin given the conflicting demands to defend against the Corsairs and to maintain colonial stations plus forces opposing the yet-unknown Space Germans.

Quite a lot of drama and intrigue in this galaxy now. Maybe in the next update we will get to see a big space battle to complement all of this border tension and Corsair hunting so far!

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 11:21:04 AM »
Quite a lot of drama and intrigue in this galaxy now. Maybe in the next update we will get to see a big space battle to complement all of this border tension and Corsair hunting so far!

Combat currently underway :)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 12:01:57 AM »
Did I read correctly that the AI is combining its fleets now instead of sending them into battle piecemeal?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 03:56:37 AM »
Did I read correctly that the AI is combining its fleets now instead of sending them into battle piecemeal?

Yes, I had coded that behaviour for v2.0 but that's the first time I have seen it happen.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, Zincat, Shuul, serger, nuclearslurpee

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 04:41:49 AM »

Yes, I had coded that behaviour for v2.0 but that's the first time I have seen it happen.

Finally! At long last  ;D
Thank you VERY much for this Steve, it's such a great thing for the game, before the Ai loved to suicide in many small bites  ;D