Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 186521 times)

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #660 on: March 14, 2020, 04:47:49 AM »
Is there a way to group ships together like we can do with missiles? Goal here is to have increasing numbers of ships according to the whole series, not by each class individually. I mainly use this for transport ships - simply use the class name plus number - but I would like to have it continue the numbering when I improve the class to the next design level. But at the moment it will start with 001 again.

The following users thanked this post: King-Salomon

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #661 on: March 14, 2020, 07:08:27 AM »
Is there a way to group ships together like we can do with missiles? Goal here is to have increasing numbers of ships according to the whole series, not by each class individually. I mainly use this for transport ships - simply use the class name plus number - but I would like to have it continue the numbering when I improve the class to the next design level. But at the moment it will start with 001 again.

Quick work-around:  Use 'Fast OOB Creation' to produce X number of the new design, start regular construction, then delete the extra ships.

- - - - -

But yeah, it would be great if C# Aurora recognized ordinal numbers and let us specify one to count up from.  I can remember a few campaigns where I ended up with Mule class freighters named Mule 001 001 and Mule 001 002 and Mule 001 003, etc.

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #662 on: March 14, 2020, 01:54:11 PM »
What you could do, is use the new suffix- naming system.

So make a naming theme that is literally just

and then combine that with a suffix name theme that only has a single name
Mule

Then when you build your first freighter it'll be Mule 001. When you make your upgraded freighter, just have it use the same themes. Because the suffix theme only has a single name, it'll get reused but Aurora will not reuse already used names from the "main" theme since there are unused ones left, so then you'll get Mule 075 for example.

I already do that in VB6 as some naming themes have loads of names in them so for example my cargo ships and tugs and tankers often share the same naming theme. With the suffix thing that C# brings us, what I wrote above should be possible.

The following users thanked this post: Scandinavian, TMaekler, Inglonias

Offline space dwarf

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #663 on: March 19, 2020, 08:42:00 AM »
Do lost contacts retain their velocity vector line so you can figure out where they probbably went?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #664 on: March 19, 2020, 12:11:44 PM »
Do lost contacts retain their velocity vector line so you can figure out where they probbably went?

Yes.

The following users thanked this post: serger

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #665 on: March 19, 2020, 01:22:57 PM »

Yes.

Haxs!
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement

Offline Inglonias

• Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #666 on: March 20, 2020, 11:09:54 AM »
I understand that the performance in C# is much better than VB6, but I wonder how saving works and performs. My current understanding is that the game no longer automatically writes all DB changes to the drive after each time increment, but does that mean I need to remember to save manually? How long does a save operation take?

EDIT: Found this post that answers all my questions.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 11:11:25 AM by Inglonias »

Offline MasonMac

• Registered
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #667 on: March 20, 2020, 09:23:04 PM »
How many lines of code so far? Lol.

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #668 on: March 22, 2020, 11:02:17 AM »
Question:  If I conduct a planet invasion and after a period of time, I find that the combat isn’t going well and I want to withdraw off planet...or let’s say I’m defending from an invasion and it appears I’m losing, can I rescue the ground forces?  Understand that I’ll have to contend with any enemy STO and space forces to pull it off but wondering if that is possible or is every ground combat a ‘to the death’ situation?  Secondary question is will AI withdraw ground forces from untenable position?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 11:46:58 AM by Kristover »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #669 on: March 22, 2020, 11:40:07 AM »
Question:  If I conduct a planet invasion and after a period of time, I find that the combat isn’t going well and I want to withdraw off planet...or let’s say I’m defending from an invasion and it appears I’m losing, can I rescue the ground forces?  Understand that I’ll have to contend with any enemy STO and space forces to pull it off but wondering if that is possible or us every ground combat a ‘to the death’ situation?  Secondary question is will AI withdraw ground forces from untenable position?

Yes, you can load ground forces during combat.

AI doesn't currently abandon invasions, but I'll probably code that at some point.

The following users thanked this post: Kristover

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #670 on: March 22, 2020, 11:50:46 AM »
Question:  If I conduct a planet invasion and after a period of time, I find that the combat isn’t going well and I want to withdraw off planet...or let’s say I’m defending from an invasion and it appears I’m losing, can I rescue the ground forces?  Understand that I’ll have to contend with any enemy STO and space forces to pull it off but wondering if that is possible or us every ground combat a ‘to the death’ situation?  Secondary question is will AI withdraw ground forces from untenable position?

Yes, you can load ground forces during combat.

AI doesn't currently abandon invasions, but I'll probably code that at some point.

Thanks!  I imagine doing it for the AI will be a complex chore - teaching them the logic of 'abandoning' a force rather than putting a bunch of ships in danger to rescue would be an interesting problem.  One thing I'm considering knowing withdraw is possible is the value of conducting raids and deep strikes where I land a ground force, tear up some ground defenses and do some collateral installation damage, and then withdrawing.  Sure, I could just bombard from space but I might want to avoid screwing up a planet which I might want to invade later or because of RP reasons.

Offline totos_totidis

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #671 on: March 22, 2020, 11:57:27 AM »
Hello! I would like to ask what version of the .net framework do i need to run aurora 4x c#? The .NET Framework 4.8 that comes with windows 10 or the 3.5 that is for download? Also do i need any other things? Like any Visual C++ Redistributables?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #672 on: March 22, 2020, 11:59:38 AM »
Hello! I would like to ask what version of the .net framework do i need to run aurora 4x c#? The .NET Framework 4.8 that comes with windows 10 or the 3.5 that is for download? Also do i need any other things? Like any Visual C++ Redistributables?

I'm using NET Framework 4. I'll look at what is needed when I figure out the installation program.

Offline totos_totidis

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #673 on: March 22, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »

I'm using NET Framework 4. I'll look at what is needed when I figure out the installation program.
Ok thanks!

Offline clement

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #674 on: March 22, 2020, 05:13:36 PM »
If Steve is using. Net 4.x, any version equal to or higher than the version he targeted will be fine.