Author Topic: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition  (Read 345785 times)

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
Re: Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread: C# Edition
« Reply #2205 on: October 05, 2021, 09:01:12 PM »
What do all the different kinds of waypoints do?

I know you can set standing orders to move to the nearest point of interest or rendezvous point, and I know you can move a fleet to a rendezvous point in the Miscellaneous tab (but not any other kind of waypoint for some reason). Is there any other functionality I don't know about? Is there any actual difference between a normal point of interest and an urgent one? Also, do you actually use any of this functionality? I never find myself needing anything but the normal and named waypoints.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2206 on: October 05, 2021, 09:22:42 PM »
Normal waypoints are just labeled with a number, while named waypoints can be given a name. As far as I know there is no functional difference, this is just a convenience feature.

Rendezvous waypoints can be used with standing or conditional orders. You can probably use it to automate things in a clever way if you can think of one.

Points of Interest are supposed to exist only for a limited time and are automatically removed once visited or if time expires, and can also be used for standing orders, but I'm not certain if this functionality was implemented fully as I've never used them. Supposedly, the "urgent" ones last longer and are also a higher priority for a fleet with standing orders to visit. I think in practice they see very little use since usually player like to investigate such things themselves, but it could be useful for example to have a scout in a survey fleet visit all of the CC2.0 planets in a new system and check for aliens in an automated manner.

The following users thanked this post: Sebmono, ISN

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2207 on: October 06, 2021, 02:53:11 AM »
Rendezvous waypoints can be used with standing or conditional orders. You can probably use it to automate things in a clever way if you can think of one.

Rendezvous waypoints can also be important when using SM to set up a scenario, as they will show up on the misc tab as valid teleport destinations when SM is active, letting you place fleets wherever in space.

The following users thanked this post: ISN

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2208 on: October 06, 2021, 03:05:34 AM »
NPRs use a lot of point of interest waypoints to 'remember' things they need to investigate once they have handled higher priority tasks.

The following users thanked this post: Fistandantillus7, Sebmono, ISN

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2209 on: October 06, 2021, 03:06:05 AM »
What do all the different kinds of waypoints do?

I know you can set standing orders to move to the nearest point of interest or rendezvous point, and I know you can move a fleet to a rendezvous point in the Miscellaneous tab (but not any other kind of waypoint for some reason). Is there any other functionality I don't know about? Is there any actual difference between a normal point of interest and an urgent one? Also, do you actually use any of this functionality? I never find myself needing anything but the normal and named waypoints.

a nice use of Rendezvous points is to set up Maintenance/fuel stations (with R&R) away from you colonies and have your exploration ships go there with conditional orders once fuel levels or deployment time excides for faster overhull and turn-around

The following users thanked this post: ISN

Offline L0ckAndL0ad

• Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #2210 on: October 08, 2021, 03:48:55 PM »
Situation: I've sent a bunch of maintenance facilities to several small colonies, but did not give them MSP yet. Local mineral production is too small to provide a decent amount of MSP yet. BUT I have forgotten that many of my exploration ships have automated overhaul standing order when they exceed deployment time. And this got half of my fleet of exploration ships stranded without MSP on these small MSPless colonies trying to get overhauled.

Question: Is there a way to prevent ships from overhauling at a particular colony when standing orders are set to overhaul at colony, or do I have to manage all overhauls manually now?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2211 on: October 08, 2021, 11:56:17 PM »
Yeah you'll have to do it manually now or better yet, transport MSP to these forward bases.

The following users thanked this post: L0ckAndL0ad

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #2212 on: October 09, 2021, 09:39:52 AM »
When creating colonies with infrastructure that allows refueling and resupplying of ships, your survey ships will automatically move there. This can end in disaster if they choose such a colony and you have no supplies lying around. This means you should either transport the required material to those colonies or tug the affected ships back to Earth and do some babysitting afterwards. I do not have any great solution for that either.

The following users thanked this post: L0ckAndL0ad

Offline nakorkren

• Lt. Commander
  • n
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2213 on: October 09, 2021, 10:53:14 PM »
I captured some Precursor ships, one of which was right next to another of their ships that I had not yet captured. The enemy ship started firing on my newly captured ship and was clearly about to destroy it, so I abandoned ship, thinking that would save my boarding parties. Unfortunately that was not the case... not a single life pod was generated when I gave the Abandon Ship order. Is that because Precursor ships are hard coded to not leave life pods? Will that be an issue with my continued use of any captured Precursor ships? I can live with that, as it makes sense from an RP perspective that Precursor ships wouldn't be designed to even HAVE lifepods, but wanted to know if that was working as intended or if it was a bug.

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2214 on: October 10, 2021, 12:55:09 AM »
Situation: I've sent a bunch of maintenance facilities to several small colonies, but did not give them MSP yet. Local mineral production is too small to provide a decent amount of MSP yet. BUT I have forgotten that many of my exploration ships have automated overhaul standing order when they exceed deployment time. And this got half of my fleet of exploration ships stranded without MSP on these small MSPless colonies trying to get overhauled.

Question: Is there a way to prevent ships from overhauling at a particular colony when standing orders are set to overhaul at colony, or do I have to manage all overhauls manually now?

what you can do until you get MSP to those colonies is set up a Rendezvous point on the colonies you do have fuel and MSP at and change their conditional order to go to nearest PV point when X.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #2215 on: October 10, 2021, 07:39:14 AM »
I captured some Precursor ships, one of which was right next to another of their ships that I had not yet captured. The enemy ship started firing on my newly captured ship and was clearly about to destroy it, so I abandoned ship, thinking that would save my boarding parties. Unfortunately that was not the case... not a single life pod was generated when I gave the Abandon Ship order. Is that because Precursor ships are hard coded to not leave life pods? Will that be an issue with my continued use of any captured Precursor ships? I can live with that, as it makes sense from an RP perspective that Precursor ships wouldn't be designed to even HAVE lifepods, but wanted to know if that was working as intended or if it was a bug.

Life pods get created when there is remaining crew at the moment of the ships destruction. When you captured the enemy ship, you killed all the enemy crew though. This means there will be no life pods, as you did not replenish the ships crew in the meantime. Troops on the other hand do not count as crew and will be killed with the ship they are on.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2216 on: October 10, 2021, 11:20:41 AM »

You need to use the boarding ship and troop transport to unload the boarding parties from the captured ship.

Offline Tavik Toth

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #2217 on: October 21, 2021, 06:20:56 PM »
Which support ground units should I avoid giving the avoid combat trait?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2218 on: October 21, 2021, 09:14:04 PM »

Anything which does not fire in the ground combat phases.

Combat elements: Personal weapons, crew-served anti-personnel, anti-vehicle, bombardment, autocannon, and anti-air.

Non-combat elements: forward fire direction, logistics modules, headquarters, construction, geosurvey, xenoarcheology, and STOs.

The following users thanked this post: Tavik Toth

Offline Tavik Toth

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #2219 on: October 22, 2021, 08:13:19 AM »
Quote from: nuclearslurpee link=topic=11545.  msg156195#msg156195 date=1634868844
Quote from: Tavik Toth link=topic=11545.  msg156194#msg156194 date=1634858456

Anything which does not fire in the ground combat phases. 

Combat elements: Personal weapons, crew-served anti-personnel, anti-vehicle, bombardment, autocannon, and anti-air. 

Non-combat elements: forward fire direction, logistics modules, headquarters, construction, geosurvey, xenoarcheology, and STOs. 

Thanks! And hm, I just noticed Medium Autocannon is heavier than Medium Anti-Vehicle.  Is that WAI?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 08:49:08 AM by Tavik Toth »